Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
29.06.2006 - 23:18
Nathan Lurker
Yes it is quite a shame to see that this band isn't "bigger". It's got such a cult following though and so little exposure. Here in Rimouski, a town in the province of Quebec, there's none of their albums in the music store. In Montreal and Quebec, I've been to the bigger music store and didn't find anything else than A Fine Day to Exit and Alternative 4. They're good albums but where's Jugment and A Natural disaster !?!?!

Has anyone seen the new DVD yet ? Seemed like a good setlist with stuff from Alternative 4 and even the song Angelica ! and of course, a personnal favourite, "closer". This song never gets old to me.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
29.06.2006 - 23:52
Valmont
Written by Nathan Lurker on 29.06.2006 at 23:18

Yes it is quite a shame to see that this band isn't "bigger". It's got such a cult following though and so little exposure. Here in Rimouski, a town in the province of Quebec, there's none of their albums in the music store. In Montreal and Quebec, I've been to the bigger music store and didn't find anything else than A Fine Day to Exit and Alternative 4. They're good albums but where's Jugment and A Natural disaster !?!?!

Has anyone seen the new DVD yet ? Seemed like a good setlist with stuff from Alternative 4 and even the song Angelica ! and of course, a personnal favourite, "closer". This song never gets old to me.

If they, the record companies can't sell you to little kids they won't give sh*t about you. Thank god they come here to Turkey on almost regular basis. =P So i'm kinda lucky to also find them on the stores.
01.07.2006 - 20:46
Freyya
This band is amazing, I love their particular sound...too bad they're not coming to Colombia...damn!
I waiting for the DVD!!!
----
"Music was invented to confirm human loneliness"
18.07.2006 - 15:06
PaliKillsJew
Account deleted
Anathema to Mid-east (Jordan)
I still cant belive this .. that anathema decided to play for us in the mid east ...So much respect for this doom band ...
As we met many bands in the mideast like testament machinehead sepultura withintemptation and megadeth...etc
Now its the time for ANATHEMA to prove that we are not what cnn and bbc told ya guys ...
Anthema .. hail old and new stuff
so much respect for anyband comes to mideast ...
Let's hope the war in lebanon affect the concert ...

ANATHEMA WE ARE NOT TERRORISTS ... THEY ARE THE TERRORITS
21.07.2006 - 02:22
vhaldemar
the best lirycs in the world?? ANATHEMA
21.07.2006 - 19:20
metal_sledge
Account deleted
Well i started listening to Anathema a few months back and today they are one of my favourite bands...their music is simply awesome and very trippy.
22.07.2006 - 14:59
darksun
Written by vhaldemar on 21.07.2006 at 02:22

the best lirycs in the world?? ANATHEMA

right right right

anathema is the biggest depression friend
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
23.07.2006 - 16:22
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Anathema will be supported by Sweden's Wolverine and frontman Danny Cavanagh's celtic acoustic project Leafblade on the UK dates in September

(Source : http://www.anathema.ws)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
24.07.2006 - 17:53
Aquarius
Account deleted
I became a fan of Anathema a couple of years ago after hearing the Judgment album and, having heard all of the more recent albums and some of the pre-Judgment stuff, I prefer where they are now. I think they are an awesome band that I'd love to see live and will when the pennies allow. Out of all the newer stuff, though, Judgment remains my favourite album - there's always something special about the first album you hear from a particular band. Similarly, Empire remains my favourite Queensryche album because it was first I ever heard. In fact, I think I'll throw it into the car's CD player on the way home tonight - Judgment not Empire LOL.
30.07.2006 - 13:28
Slayerized
Account deleted
Guyz plzzzzzzzzzz check the new single A SIMPLE MISTAKE ...
http://www.anathema.ws/showdetails.php?&topgroupname=Multimedia&groupname=mm-music&subgroupname=&contentname=asimplemistakezip

fuckin aswsom .. full of depression ...
its tottaly made by guys influenced by the great pinkflyod and radiohead ...
guys it fuckin amazin .... sick in the head ...
much love and respect to anathema
03.08.2006 - 13:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Just listened to "everything", I took some time before I did, I guess it was because everyone was talking about it. I liked it a lot, the instrumental part is wonderfully constructed. Now I'm gona listen to the other song "a simple mistake". I have high hopes now that I've heard "everything".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.08.2006 - 17:39
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I'm just getting into Anthema thanks to another MSer - any recomendations ?

I listened to the two mp3s on their website - really liked 'A Simple Mistake'.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
05.08.2006 - 17:55
un/heart/ed
The Sufferer
To me, probably one of the greatest bands in the history of music. Anathema come to Turkey every year, and I will not miss their one single show. However, they will not play their old songs anymore.
----
My only thrill alone in my own hell
05.08.2006 - 18:14
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by hanna of steel on 05.08.2006 at 17:39

I'm just getting into Anthema thanks to another MSer - any recomendations?

It depends on what you're looking for! If you want dark rock with Doom lyrics and influences, check their latest material ("A Fine Day To Exit" perfectly shows the progressive/atmospheric direction the band is now taking), and if you prefer classic Doom Death metal, check their earlier releases ("Serenades" in particular ). Don't forget their middle period with the Doom Metal masterpiece "Alternative 4"!! (actually give a try to everything, each and everyone of their releases is simply full of emotion and depression, with incredible atmosphere and genius lyrics )

*going to listen to "A simple mistake" right now *
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
05.08.2006 - 18:48
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Sekhmet on 05.08.2006 at 18:14

*going to listen to "A simple mistake" right now *

The song blow me away!! "Everything" sounds weak, compared to "A simple mistake"!! I have great hopes for the rest of the album

....can be the answer, take a chance lose it all
it's a simple mistake to make to create love and to fall
so rise and be your master you don't need to be a slave
of memory ensnared in a web, in a cage
----
06.08.2006 - 17:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I liked "a simple mistake", this looks promising.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.08.2006 - 16:19
Anathemani@c
I really believe that you should listen to A natural disaster, Alternative 4 and Judgment. But my favourite alboum from Anathema is a naturaal disaster + the next one that I will be always waiting for!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
16.08.2006 - 16:25
Anathemani@c
Ah!!! The new DVD is simply great guys!!! They play many songs from nearly all their carrier and they play them with a string quartet with a viola, a violincello and two violins!!! I haven't stopped watching it every day! Something else. If anyone from you has any Anathema dvd bootlegs, please contact me for a trade. You can take my address from my profil. Thanx!
----
Trapped in time
19.08.2006 - 00:26
mortal enemy
Account deleted
One of the greatest bands. Vincent's voice is just amazing. Are they working on some new material , does anyone know?
19.08.2006 - 08:39
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Guest on 19.08.2006 at 00:26

Are they working on some new material , does anyone know?

Yes, they're Working on a new album and they've posted 2 songs online: "Everything" and "A simple mistake" (I prefer the last one). Check their website for more info and to listen to the songs: www.anathema.ws
----
20.08.2006 - 02:09
Anathemani@c
Written by Sekhmet on 19.08.2006 at 08:39

Written by Guest on 19.08.2006 at 00:26

Are they working on some new material , does anyone know?

Yes, they're Working on a new album and they've posted 2 songs online: "Everything" and "A simple mistake" (I prefer the last one). Check their website for more info and to listen to the songs: www.anathema.ws

I really hope they find a record label or else.... Some of my friends tell me that Anathema would sound better with.........Ville Valo in vocals. But to tell the truth I really like Vinnie's voice. I don't think anyone else would give so much impressions to the songs, like Vinnie does.
----
Trapped in time
20.08.2006 - 15:33
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Vinnie's voice brings so much emotion to the music!!
Ville Valo in Anathema
----
21.08.2006 - 16:23
Anathemani@c
Written by Sekhmet on 20.08.2006 at 15:33

Ville Valo in Anathema

I inform you that Ville Valo has sung Inner silence in stage with Danny . Did you know that? They have released it on Anathema site. This was the thing that made me and my friend think of Ville Valo in Anathema...
----
Trapped in time
21.08.2006 - 20:43
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Written by Anathemani@c on 21.08.2006 at 16:23

Written by Sekhmet on 20.08.2006 at 15:33

Ville Valo in Anathema

I inform you that Ville Valo has sung Inner silence in stage with Danny . Did you know that? They have released it on Anathema site. This was the thing that made me and my friend think of Ville Valo in Anathema...

----
21.08.2006 - 21:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

If you wanna good old Anathema in death/ddom era try here www.doom-metal.com find band Snathema(UK) and there is sample of Grafefallen EP
I sugest you those
'' Crestfallen'' firts Anathema EP 1992 all osngs are great but I like Thay Die, great lyrics in this EP too and cover, what a nice girl Everwake are great song, whit medieval influencies, acustic song whit female voice
''Serenades'' 1993 great album, all songs are great and poetic, but first EP are best of them

Alos good Pentecost III EP, ''The Silent Enigma'' Anthemamaniac has hiw awatar this album cover and ''Ethernity'' album but thay lost them death soun, its doomish album, next albums, its not use to checjk out
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.08.2006 - 17:16
Anathemani@c
Written by Bad English on 21.08.2006 at 21:34

If you wanna good old Anathema in death/ddom era try here www.doom-metal.com find band Snathema(UK) and there is sample of Grafefallen EP
I sugest you those
'' Crestfallen'' firts Anathema EP 1992 all osngs are great but I like Thay Die, great lyrics in this EP too and cover, what a nice girl Everwake are great song, whit medieval influencies, acustic song whit female voice
''Serenades'' 1993 great album, all songs are great and poetic, but first EP are best of them

Alos good Pentecost III EP, ''The Silent Enigma'' Anthemamaniac has hiw awatar this album cover and ''Ethernity'' album but thay lost them death soun, its doomish album, next albums, its not use to checjk out

I don't think it's not use to check out the newest alboums, but however I don't think she will like the older Anathema stuff. She's listened to the new Anathema songs that have nothing to do with metal. So I suggest her to take a closer look to A natural disaster, Alternative 4, Judgment and A fine day to exit. She will frick out if she listens to the older stuff, now that she's heard the new tracks!
----
Trapped in time
22.08.2006 - 21:14
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions - I will check tham all out when I have time.

@ Anathemani@c - I don't think I'll freak out - I listen to all sort os music.
I'm used to the heavy stuff too !
----
24.08.2006 - 02:23
Nathan Lurker
The "A Natural Disaster" album is the closest thing to A Simple Mistake so that's what you should listen to first. Then try judgment.

For the older Doom stuff, I guess The Silent Enigma is the biggest of their release, but Crestfallen has the great song "everwake" and Pentecost III has "We the Gods".
----

24.08.2006 - 15:34
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Nathan Lurker on 24.08.2006 at 02:23

The "A Natural Disaster" album is the closest thing to A Simple Mistake so that's what you should listen to first. Then try judgment.

For the older Doom stuff, I guess The Silent Enigma is the biggest of their release, but Crestfallen has the great song "everwake" and Pentecost III has "We the Gods".

Ooops - I've done it wrong - I've already got Judgement
I will try 'A Natural Disaster ' next.

I found some of the older Doom stuff - it was also good.
They have a lot of work for me to listen to.

Thanks for your help everyone.
----
25.08.2006 - 00:44
Nathan Lurker
Written by hanna of steel on 24.08.2006 at 15:34

Written by Nathan Lurker on 24.08.2006 at 02:23

Ooops - I've done it wrong - I've already got Judgement
I will try 'A Natural Disaster ' next.

I found some of the older Doom stuff - it was also good.
They have a lot of work for me to listen to.

Thanks for your help everyone.

It's all good, I first got into Anathema with Judgment. it's an amazing album, almost perfect. I would higly suggest that you read the lyrics of this album while listening to it. ( http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/anathema/judgement.html )
----