Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
16.12.2006 - 19:25
Anathemani@c

Written by Jiri on 16.12.2006 at 18:31

@Anathemanic: You know how I know you're gay, you like coldplay. And don't you EVER assume that I did not waste my time and money listening this shit. And Mournful Woods, if you like rock so much, why are you on a website called metalstorm? Go talk about this boring, go nowhere crap on some altenative rock forum. And Mr. Heartbreaker, you are just a prick with nothing better to do. Dude, I'd love to know a 13 year old who likes doom metal. All the 13 year olds I know like altenative rock like Anathema! @Marcel Ozman: Thank you for agreeing with me. New Anathema is like listening to the same song over, and over.

Don't you have anything else to do except from damning me and the others that listen to Anathema just because you don't like them?And if you knew, it just the country you live in. Your "traditional" music is heavy and death metal. So open your mind and anyway, if you don't like Anathema, don't you EVER post anything else here.
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
16.12.2006 - 19:40
Anathemani@c

@Anathemanic: You know how I know you're gay, you like coldplay. And don't you EVER assume that I did not waste my time and money listening this shit. And Mournful Woods, if you like rock so much, why are you on a website called metalstorm? Go talk about this boring, go nowhere crap on some altenative rock forum. And Mr. Heartbreaker, you are just a prick with nothing better to do. Dude, I'd love to know a 13 year old who likes doom metal. All the 13 year olds I know like altenative rock like Anathema! @Marcel Ozman: Thank you for agreeing with me. New Anathema is like listening to the same song over, and over.

And something else. I never told you gay. So, go and listen To your "metal" Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir that make you think you 're a "BAD BOY" and leave us, the "gays" listening to rock. But as I told you I listen to all kinds of music, not only the ones you mentioned, where your mind stuck.
----
Trapped in time
16.12.2006 - 20:26
Nathan Lurker

Yo Jiri. Peace.

Anathema had a metal period. That ought to give them the right to have a thread in the metal section and people discussing about the whole of their work.

And I don't know why you're being angry at me I didn't even quoted you and I answered with no hostility to Ozman. But I can be hostile too you'Re not the only one who can stray from the main conversation to attack people you don't know directly. So here I go :

I wonder what a black metal vocalist has to say against songs being played over and over again when the whole genre he's supporting is concientiously playing the same stuff over and over again in an attempt to have a kvlt image. The United States black metal scene, especially, isn't really known for having lots of bands that goes beyond the "hey look at me I'm grim and mad at the world" attitude. And anyway you're just a teenage fanboy at heart who's idea of the best album ever is a Cradle of Filth CD, wich is pretty much untrve and totally sucks ass. Whatever happened to a link to your band's site or samples ? C'mon any black metal vocalist (probably bad at that) has to be proud of his work. Unless you're not ? hoooo is it that you got a lousy band that probably wouln't get farther than having a couple of fans who like how it sounds like thoses other 50 bands that do the same stuff over and over again ? You'Re probably just mad at the world for having forgotten your tiny pathetic self and therefore chose to provoke people without bringing arguments (because you obviously lacks the capacity to prove them wrong with wits) . That way you get attention even if it's negative.Well that just works. I can't contain myself. I feel like I'm gonna let slip an ins..youpieceofshitwho'smotherwasawhore !! ±£¢¦¦³¢¬ Get back to your easy black metal and get some teenage angst out of your system you gay ass bastard. Wearing bm make up ougt to be gayer than Coldplay by the way.

See. I can be pointless too..

I hope this doesn't get moderated because I do find it funny as hell. it sucks so much balls. Don't take me seriously though I'm really a dumbass
Can we get back to Anathema now ?
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
17.12.2006 - 00:52
Jiri

@Mournful Woods: Dude, you need to calm down before you pop a vein or something. I am not trying to start anything between you and I. Dude, I'm sorry I made you waste 20 minutes typing that pathetic little tirade. You have no clue who I am, so why all the personal attacks? I didn't say anything personal to you. I just said you should be talking about new Anathema on an alternative rock website. Dude, get a life, instead of wasting your time on me. You said it yourself, you really are a dumbass.
17.12.2006 - 03:45
Nathan Lurker

I don't think you see the point of my post wich is that you bring no arguments in this conversation other than "bouhouhou you dudes only like rock and it's gay" . But I am indeed a dumbass and it did take 20 minutes for me to write this long sarcasm.

Sooo I bought the Anathema DVD " A moment in time" a few weeks ago. It turned out way better than Were you there? (wich was awesome). I'm really glad that they played Empty and Inner silence, Were you there lacked a bit of Alternative 4 songs. The DVD is a little expensive I guess but what makes it all worth is the string quartet wich adds a new dimension to the songs. I must say I rediscovered " Closer " and it's still the top song I heard in my life (at least that's my present state of mind).

I am currently wondering if the third song they'll release on internet is going to be that one that is aivalable in video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcfFpbNfpo)
----

17.12.2006 - 21:53
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Okay everyone calms down because I really hate it when a thread (in particular when it's mine) is being ruined by pointless attacks .
So everyone agrees that Anathema's music has changed (big news), that they don't play metal anymore (but since they used to play metal they definitely deserve their thread here), some still like them and some don't, PERIOD. Now back on topic

@MournfulWoods: feel like writing a review ?
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
18.12.2006 - 03:40
Danzig666

I Hands down prefer newer Anathema to the older stuff and I listen to all types of music. Now, that said I also prefer newer My Dying Bride to their Older works. The problem for me is are the one dimensional growling vocals. Aaron in MDB now uses a wide range of vocal stylings that IMO makes them what they are. Not to get off topic, Vincent's vocals in Anathema are beautiful and their music evokes such emotion in me. However, their older works are just plain boring and the vocals are worthless.
----
Open your Mouth to my Bloody Reign!
19.12.2006 - 00:21
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2006 at 02:59

Written by Jiri on 11.12.2006 at 22:41

Anathema had something great going when they were doom metal. They really lost it with their last two albums that slurped so much ass. I still like them overall, but I hate their last two albums. They have no metal in them what so ever. I am sure their new album coming in 2007 will suck as well.

I agree to a good extent with what Jiri said. I agree with him that Anathema lost it when they turned away from their death/doom sound. Slurping ass wouldn't be the term I'd use. But they bore me to tears nowadays, it's as if they play the same song over and over again. The rot started to set in with Alternative 4 when they started to sound like so many British rock bands with that slight alternative sound. And Jiri is right this has nothing to with metal anymore whatsoever.
Oh, and before anyone goes off that I should listen to their albums more than one time... I have ALL their stuff on original cd and seen them live a couple of times, and man, live they are even more boring IMO.
And also before you people say I have to be open-minded... first of all I don't have to be open-minded at all if I don't want to be, and second of all. I am one of the most open-minded metalheads around.

You seriously find their newer material to all sound alike as compared to their doom metal era where every song was the same?
"ARGGGGGHHHH I MAKE MY WAY ACROSS BONE TATTERED FIELDS INTO OBLIVION LIFELESS MORTAL DESTRUCTION WOUNNNDDSSS IN MY FLESH AS DARKNESS LOOMS OVER LONELY FIELDS OF ARTTHHH RARRRGHHH!"

At least if you listen to an album like "A Natural Disaster" you can distinguish one song from another... if you think it all sounds alike then I'd have to say I think you're a complete liar to claim you've listened to the album a lot.
19.12.2006 - 00:30
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted

"You know how I know you're gay?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Dude... I don't care how old you claim to be, if you were any older than 15 years old in real life i'd shit myself with confusion.

Man, normally I'd make a conscious effort in pointing out when a dumbass (such as yourself) is being a dumbas... but you aren't even worth a worthy response... let alone worthy of being on this website.
And Coldplay kicks COF's ass by the way. COF! LOLZORS!!!

Anyway back on track...

I wanna see a review on that new anathema dvd
As far as the new songs...
I like Everything a lot. I'd like to think that if the band was American it'd be a big hit here... b/c it certainly could be.
The other track... hmmm sort of bored me. But it was very long, and i never finished the last 2 minutes. So who knows?
19.12.2006 - 06:15
Nathan Lurker

I don't think I'm really a good reviewer but... whatever I got a bit of time to waste.

The show opens up on videos of clouds rolling by on two screens, and a string quartet playing a nice classic song while the musicians get prepared to start the show. That sets quite a good mood. The band then starts playing the first two songs of Fragile Dreams, with beautiful string arangments that set where the show is going : to a deep and fresh take on their recent stuff, a re-visiting of some of their best songs. If the setlist features songs that were already on Were You There (balance, Closer, A Natural Disaster, Judgment, Panis and Flying), they are actually worth seeing again if only for the new aspect that the strings give. Even though I've heard all their stuff, the songs actually sounded fresh and new to my ears. There is some good camera work and lighting that makes the show flow quite well as the band gives a performance close to what their last DVD offered. Vincent actually is impressive as he sings with assurance and dedication.

The only bad points I could see were the fact that they've linked together Judgment and Panic by cutting the second half of Judgment and that A Natural Disaster sounded a bit more like it came from the guts on Were You There. But do not be mistaken, linking the two songs actually quite works well and Lee sings with her heart a mellow rendition of A Natural Disaster with beautiful strings arrangments.

The bonus section is nothing impressive but a nice addition. There's some of their doom-era songs ( Sleepless and A Dying Wish) taken from the were you there show, a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross" and Fragile Dreams. There's also a documentary that is interesting as Danny Cavanagh and Lee talks about the band's past, their collaboration with Duncan Patterson, etc. It is sure to please any Anathema fan.

The package also includes a CD version of the concert and cool artwork that fits this "hope" theme that goes with their music.

Set List
01. Shroud Of False
02. Fragile Dreams
03. Balance
04. Closer
05. Lost Control
06. Empty
07. A Natural Disaster
08. Inner Silence
09. One Last Goodbye
10. Judgement
11. Panic
12. Flying
13. Angelica
14. Comfortably Num

Bonus - Live At Krzemionki 2004:
01. Sleepless
02. A Dying Wish
03. Albatross
04. Fragile Dreams
----

19.12.2006 - 11:17
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
sounds great, dude. Thanks for the review.
I'm a bit disappointed with their choice of songs, but oh well. Wish there would have been more songs from the last 2 albums.
But from what i've seen and heard, Anathema really makes the songs sound new and exciting when played live, as opposed to sounding like a lower quality version of the studio version.
19.12.2006 - 14:51
Anathemani@c

Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 11:17

I'm a bit disappointed with their choice of songs, but oh well. Wish there would have been more songs from the last 2 albums.
But from what i've seen and heard, Anathema really makes the songs sound new and exciting when played live, as opposed to sounding like a lower quality version of the studio version.

The new dvd is absolutelly great. Go and take it, if you still don't have it! I don't know if you've ever seen Anathema live, but they kick ass on stage and they always dedicate 10-15 minutes to their older stuff, not like other bands (Paradise Lost, for example).;)
----
Trapped in time
19.12.2006 - 19:46
Nathan Lurker

Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 11:17

Well they've already covered a great deal of the last 2 albums on were you there(11 songs from a 16 songs setliste were from AFDTE and AND) so the setlist from this new DVD is really interesting when you think about it. This release really brings new things and that's cool. It's not my perfect Anathema Setlist neither but it's great anyway. I wish they'd play electricity though.
----

19.12.2006 - 23:03
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
i was going to say the exact same thing about "electricity." They should definitely play that one live, along with "Pulled Under at 5000 Metres Per Second"
19.12.2006 - 23:04
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
or is it 2,000? I think it's 2,000...
shame on me
19.12.2006 - 23:47
Nathan Lurker

They played that one on "were you there". And it's 2000 yeah. Shame on you.
----

21.12.2006 - 15:27
Anathemani@c

Guys, the only way to see how good a band is when they play live is when you see them live or in dvd from a recorded concert, where you can watch the same and same thing many times.. There you can see all the energy hidden in the members and how the manage to give it to their public... Anyway, Anathema have managed to create a great atmosphere in the last dvd, but if you watch a bootleg dvd you will understand the whole stuff as it goes. I have the luck to own only one bootleg that is from Anathema and it is from the concert where I took Danniel's pick. It's really great!:bow: When a concert is being recorded to be released in dvd, the band is a little bit anxious and doesn't succed to give the best it can - or at least this is what I think...???
----
Trapped in time
22.12.2006 - 02:16
RageInDarkness
Account deleted
Well its been a while that I didn't posted here in MS, well I have to say some things about Anathema.
It was real good the gig here in Chile.
2:30 hrs of the gig of only them, the band that was opening like played only 4 songs and they sucked.
I hope they keep coming over the sea in this land so unknown called Chile.
We have more things than dead dictators you know? xD
25.01.2007 - 21:22
Nathan Lurker

There's a live video of a new song wich is so good at : http://soulreaper.net/showthread.php?t=1311

I can't wait to hear a good quality version of this amazing song. It might become one of my favourite song from them. It's entitled Ann Further and it'S brilliant.

You can watch it on youtube too at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn-G_qFhI-I
----

11.03.2007 - 18:54
Anathemani@c

Written by Nathan Lurker on 25.01.2007 at 21:22

There's a live video of a new song wich is so good at : http://soulreaper.net/showthread.php?t=1311

I can't wait to hear a good quality version of this amazing song. It might become one of my favourite song from them. It's entitled Ann Further and it'S brilliant.

You can watch it on youtube too at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn-G_qFhI-I

If you search more in youtube, you will find "rare" clip of A dying wish that was cut from the Were you there dvd..
----
Trapped in time
11.03.2007 - 19:13
Anathemani@c

If you really watch closer "Were you there" dvd you will understand that there are songs only from the last three alboums (refering to "Judgment" , "A fine day to exit" and "A natural disaster" )and nothing from the masterpieces called "The silent enigma" , "Eternity" or "Alternative4" and that was due to the Music For Nations who had no permission to release songs from the former record company's alboums - Peaceville.
----
Trapped in time
13.03.2007 - 20:26
Nathan Lurker

On the A Moment in Time DVD there is outtakes from the Were You there concert and they play A Dying Wish and sleepless. I suppose that it's the "rare" clip you are talking about.
----

14.03.2007 - 12:39
Anathemani@c

Written by Nathan Lurker on 13.03.2007 at 20:26

On the A Moment in Time DVD there is outtakes from the Were You there concert and they play A Dying Wish and sleepless. I suppose that it's the "rare" clip you are talking about.

My time is too little to watch dvds... I have only seen the whole dvd twice so I cant remember if these clips are on the A moment in time dvd... I 'll look for this and I ll tell you!
----
Trapped in time
22.06.2007 - 15:37
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Video footage of Anathema's "unplugged" performance in Sibiu, in the medieval church of Cisnadioara, as part of the Artmania festival has been posted at the Metal Videos web site at this location.
24.06.2007 - 14:14
BloodTears
ANA-thema
thanks for those links. Always good to hear anathema.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.06.2007 - 13:02
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
An Anathema's video interview conducted at the Artmania festival in Sibiu has been posted at Metalhead TV here. The clip also includes footage of the band's performance at the festival. (Other bands performance at Sibiu in the same link: Tarot, The Gathering, My Dying Bride, Within Temptation and After Forever).
06.11.2007 - 18:38
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
A nine-minute video report featuring interview and performance footage shot during Anathema's October 2007 tour of Turkey can be viewed at this location.
06.11.2007 - 18:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I want the new album! is this waiting neverending?
----

My Instagram
06.11.2007 - 20:55
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 06.11.2007 at 18:46

Well, hope that it will be realeased in March or April But have they found any record company?
06.11.2007 - 21:02
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 06.11.2007 at 20:55

Written by BloodTears on 06.11.2007 at 18:46

Well, hope that it will be realeased in March or April But have they found any record company?

I don't think so but they are still doing live shows. I dont get it. I cant be more than 4 years waiting for an Anathema album, its just unhuman.
----

My Instagram