Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
17.11.2008 - 15:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Lucas on 17.11.2008 at 15:07

How can 90% of the fans of these bands be mad about them changing their sound, if they probably have fourty times more fans as they did in the old days? the older fans are only a veeeery small part and the angry part of those older fans will be even smaller. and a band should never base a decision solely on the will of the fans.

Exactly... if bands like Anathema, The Gathering, Paradise Lost etc. based their decision on what I liked about their music they would still be playing in small clubs infront of 200 paying visitors
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2008 - 15:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My Dying Bride dont play in small venues. paradise Lost didnt play in those days too, I just want say those who like nowdays Anathema, dont like older albums, because this abnd is also popular to not metalhead comunity
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2008 - 17:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 17.11.2008 at 15:42

I just want say those who like nowdays Anathema, dont like older albums, because this abnd is also popular to not metalhead comunity

Not all of them, I hope you are aware of that.
Why? because I'm sure at least 50% of the fans are aware that the band played metal in the beginning. And I'm sure that many people from that 50% [not all of them of course] likes both styles.

Written by Bad English on 17.11.2008 at 14:16

and sucks more how new metallica(because thay still are metal)

I can even believe you're serious here.
You make your opinion depending on the band's genre solely... I can even put my comment into words now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.11.2008 - 10:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.11.2008 at 17:28

I just want say those who like nowdays Anathema, dont like older albums, because this abnd is also popular to not metalhead comunity

Why? because I'm sure at least 50% of the fans are aware that the band played metal in the beginning. And I'm sure that many people from that 50% [not all of them of course] likes both styles.

You make your opinion depending on the band's genre solely... I can even put my comment into words now.

Those who lived those days yes, but some new generation kids I douvt so, even thay know thay probobly dont like it anyway
----

apos;'
[image]
19.12.2008 - 02:10
Lost Child
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2008 at 15:39

How can 90% of the fans of these bands be mad about them changing their sound, if they probably have fourty times more fans as they did in the old days? the older fans are only a veeeery small part and the angry part of those older fans will be even smaller. and a band should never base a decision solely on the will of the fans.

Exactly... if bands like Anathema, The Gathering, Paradise Lost etc. based their decision on what I liked about their music they would still be playing in small clubs infront of 200 paying visitors

I saw them in England recently... there can't have been more than 70 or 80 of us there Vinny was so drunk, he had this weird rant at the end of Empty, he started chanting "Happy Happy Nicey Nicey Happy Happy Nicey Nicey!!!" haha!... and they were chatting to the crowd loads... I couldn't be more happy that they're no longer a metal band. I think a lot of metal bands, particularly doom metal bands, take themselves too seriously... this is a criticism that can in no way be directed at Anathema

Undoubtedly the best time I've seen them live.

They clearly don't care how popular they are, they seemed to love that they had a small audience. This girl had travelled all the way from Poland and was saying to them "Why do you never play anything from Serenades?" and Danny looked at her, grinned, and said "...because it's shit!"
19.12.2008 - 08:00
the stranger
Written by Lost Child on 19.12.2008 at 02:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.11.2008 at 15:39

I saw them in England recently... there can't have been more than 70 or 80 of us there Vinny was so drunk, he had this weird rant at the end of Empty, he started chanting "Happy Happy Nicey Nicey Happy Happy Nicey Nicey!!!" haha!... and they were chatting to the crowd loads... I couldn't be more happy that they're no longer a metal band. I think a lot of metal bands, particularly doom metal bands, take themselves too seriously... this is a criticism that can in no way be directed at Anathema

Undoubtedly the best time I've seen them live.

They clearly don't care how popular they are, they seemed to love that they had a small audience. This girl had travelled all the way from Poland and was saying to them "Why do you never play anything from Serenades?" and Danny looked at her, grinned, and said "...because it's shit!"

I agree with Danny. Anathema plays what they like. One from Evoken make a big statement just to say that he still respected them even if he didn't like what they're playing now.
23.01.2009 - 17:52
Italics
Haha, that's hilarious what Danny said to that girl.

I can honestly say I'm only a fan of Anathema for their "newer" stuff (Everything from Judgement up until now).
I've never been a big doom/death fan... but the music they make now is simply beautiful.
And "Hindsight" is a freaking brilliant release!
Can't wait for "Horizons" =)
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
24.01.2009 - 14:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Italics on 23.01.2009 at 17:52

I can honestly say I'm only a fan of Anathema for their "newer" stuff (Everything from Judgement up until now).

What about Eternity? or even Alternative 4? Those alums are materpieces. And not doom/death at all.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.02.2009 - 21:44
Lost Child
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.01.2009 at 14:51

Written by Italics on 23.01.2009 at 17:52

What about Eternity? or even Alternative 4? Those alums are materpieces. And not doom/death at all.

It's interesting actually... I can completely understand why someone would like "Judgement" onwards but not "Alternative 4" or "Eternity". I mean obviously I adore all 3 records, but whilst "Alternative 4" is technically the same 'genre' as "Judgement", "Judgement" was the first album that displayed their new hopeful outlook, which has increased with every record.

"Alternative 4" is on the whole an album about deceit and trust issues, not to mention regret and revenge... amazingly expressed, but if "Alternative 4" is the final stage of the depression of Anathema, "Judgement" is just that for the band. A crossroads. They could have either driven themselves into the ground with the typical "doom" attitude, OR progress in a way which none of their contemporaries would dare... in the direction of positivity, light and hope!

Ok, I know their post-1998 albums aren't LYRICALLY all positive, but to me, each album they have done since "Judgement" ends on a positive note, leaving the listener uplifted. I still remember when I heard "2000 & Gone" for the first time. The sheer hope the shone from those guitars brought me to tears. It was the end of the best musical journey of my life, even moreso than Radiohead's "Kid A" or Green Carnation's "Light of Day..." both of which affected me greatly also.

With "Judgement" they began to explore all emotions in the spectrum, and this is what makes some listeners appreciate their most recent records even above "Alt4" and "Eternity"... they finally let themselves go and became the best that they could.

I highly expect "Horizons" to be the greatest record of their career so far.
21.05.2009 - 03:47
Nathan Lurker
This album can't come soon enough. there's a lot of 'Ann Further ' videos on youtube and this song is amazing.
----

I came up from below when the she-wolf howled
and the night gave birth to her only child !Black Thunder!
I never knew no mercy I never knew no shame
I am hell in the storm clouds, the devil calls my name !Black Thunder!
23.05.2009 - 14:04
IronAngel
I'm one of those heathens who prefer new Anathema. It's great, inspired, interesting. In fact, I prefer the new versions of many old doom/death bands: Anathema, the Gathering, Katatonia. Paradise Lost never interested me much. I don't care if it's metal or not. (Most of the stuff I listen to nowadays isn't.) It's good, and that's what matters.

I do recognize and enjoy the older work of all the aforementioned bands, too. The Silent Enigma is a pretty badass album, as is Katatonia's Dance of December Souls. From Anathema, though, I must say I like A Natural Disaster best. It's really dark, atmospheric, raw in a way, yet delicate. It's not loud or harsh the way traditional metal is, but it sure is heavy.
23.05.2009 - 22:33
the stranger
Well, as far as Katatonia is concerned their early albums are bettet. But anyway, that was off-topic.
What was the lastest bit of news that Anathema released about the new album?
23.05.2009 - 22:52
Nathan Lurker
It's an almost perfect album in my opinion. Still doomed even though they changed from Metal to Rock. and let's be honest, there's a lot of Doom metal that is better than what Anathema did at their beginings. I can't listen to the whole Serenades album. just some particular songs, like we the gods, Everwake, J'ai fait une promesse, Eternal rise of the sun, the rest of the pre Silent Enigma era was pretty uneven and vocals were not extraordinary.
----

27.05.2009 - 00:23
Andresopeth
Written by Bad English on 18.11.2008 at 10:36

Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.11.2008 at 17:28

Those who lived those days yes, but some new generation kids I douvt so, even thay know thay probobly dont like it anyway

How can you be sure people that like Anathema nowdays didn't like their previous albums, Anathema has a very good material, Eternity and The Silent Enigma are way too good, but they had a musical improving creating a most melancolic atmosphere which makes a more mature band, i agree with Mr Doctor, Anathema has an impressive carrer which includes all their albums, for me Alternative 4 is my favorite
27.05.2009 - 01:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Many die hatd fans of Anathema by whom I talk hate new materal, if I talk whit 10 mates and all hates it it means its 100% hate
Dunno but all doomsters what I know dont like new anathema
----

apos;'
[image]
27.05.2009 - 11:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I think that for the most part, metallers sticked to Anathema. In the concert here in Portugal earlier this month, the majority of the crowd were metalheads and they all knew the new songs by heart, we sang our hearts out.

I'm certainly one of those that likes both new and old Anathema.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.05.2009 - 20:57
IronAngel
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2009 at 01:00

Many die hatd fans of Anathema by whom I talk hate new materal, if I talk whit 10 mates and all hates it it means its 100% hate
Dunno but all doomsters what I know dont like new anathema

Ah, the trademark metalhead attitude warms my wretched heart. Mainstream music is crap, and only stupid lambs care about what others like. The masses have a bad taste, and metal is only for those with more sophisticated preferences. We're all about critical thought, individualism, going our own way!

..but then, new Anathema can't be good, because everybody says so!

Pardon the sarcasm, but it just seems rather hypocritical. If you ask a small group of subculture representatives whether they prefer the thing that defines their social identity and their group, that is traditional doom metal (insofar as Anathema ever was "traditional"), or something new that no longer resembles the thing that defines their group (doom metal) and has gained popularity far beyond their group, of course they will say they like old Anathema better. They might feel they're true fans and others are ignorant. They might feel that Anathema has betrayed its roots and no longer represents their group, "the doomsters." It's no longer a band exclusive to their small group, but one popular among outsiders too. All this is sure to make them more sympathetic towards old material and hostile towards the new material. It's just how humans work, a phenomenon common everywhere and one I recognize in myself, too. And I'm not saying most (if not all) of these people don't really prefer old Anathema. I'm just saying that they have reason to emphasize that and disdain the new material even more than its quality actually warrants. And that asking your sworn doomster friends is bound to get you a biased answer. What should the general populace, or anyone for that matter, care about what a bunch of (possible) elitists who represent a small minority, say?
27.05.2009 - 21:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 27.05.2009 at 11:45

Only band after changing I like Sentenced, Cemetary(Swe band) , others I hate even disliek be better, I like roots and old school
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2009 - 05:49
the stranger
Written by Bad English on 27.05.2009 at 21:17

Written by BloodTears on 27.05.2009 at 11:45

Only band after changing I like Sentenced, Cemetary(Swe band) , others I hate even disliek be better, I like roots and old school

No offense, man, but that sounds pretty narrow-minded.
Anyway, I can call myself a "doomster" hence doom metal is my favourite sub-genre of metal by far AND I like, even love, the new Anathema material.
01.06.2009 - 14:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its metter of taste I hate new anathem, paradise lost, amorfhis whatever, I like roots
Sorry mn I betetr listen avantgard jazz or elvis how new anathema, simply its not metal anymore
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2009 - 21:30
Italics
Who cares if new Anathema is not metal?

It's absolutely beautiful and fantastic music.

Old Anathema = Sounds like 100 other bands.
New Anathema = Original and refreshing
----
01.06.2009 - 21:37
Italics
Written by Nathan Lurker on 21.05.2009 at 03:47

This album can't come soon enough. there's a lot of 'Ann Further ' videos on youtube and this song is amazing.

Are there any other new songs (besides the ones we already have the album versions of from the website) that they have played live that are on youtube?
----
02.06.2009 - 14:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 01.06.2009 at 14:35

simply its not metal anymore

...SO?
Worst excuse ever tbh. You could have said "It's a matter of tastes" and stop right there. Because the thing I just quoted it's completely unnecessary.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2009 - 14:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.06.2009 at 14:43

Written by Bad English on 01.06.2009 at 14:35

simply its not metal anymore

...SO?
Worst excuse ever tbh.

I listen many non metal staff but Anathema is not one of them, there good muisc outside metal, but not this band
----

apos;'
[image]
02.06.2009 - 14:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Bad English on 02.06.2009 at 14:44

I listen many non metal staff but Anathema is not one of them, there good muisc outside metal, but not this band

That proves that the line I quoted is completely unnecessary like I already said.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2009 - 19:01
Nathan Lurker
Written by Italics on 01.06.2009 at 21:37

Written by Nathan Lurker on 21.05.2009 at 03:47

Are there any other new songs (besides the ones we already have the album versions of from the website) that they have played live that are on youtube?

Besides 'A Simple Mistake', 'Angels Walk Among Us' and 'Everything' ? Yes there's 'Only Love is Real' and a new song that might be entitled 'the truth is within you' and another one entitled 'Hindsight'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEdfiAreUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcfFpbNfpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7SrYkWKpM
----

06.06.2009 - 11:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They played "hindsight" here in May. It was a good song. I think the new album can be good.
----

My Instagram
06.06.2009 - 18:46
the stranger
If it is going to be released one day.
06.06.2009 - 21:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
It's just a matter of time.
----

My Instagram
08.06.2009 - 01:47
Nathan Lurker
I hope they don't put too much emphasis on being full of hope though. Next album needs to have some darker songs like ' A Natural Disaster', 'Judgment', 'feel' and 'empty'. Needs to keep a bit of melancholy and longing and I like a dose of pessimism here and there.
----