Metal Storm logo
Anathema

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 20.05.2006 - 00:06
Interesting threads should be re-opened So here's a thread about Anathema!!

What could we say, apart from the fact they're such a great band
I personnaly love the atmosphere they manage to create, their lyrics,... The word describing the best Anathema is "emotion" IMO. And I tend to prefer their latest work which doesn't really sound like Doom Metal anymore. What do you think about their evolution ?

The question in the old forum was about their new song "Everything" which you can download. I liked it, only listened to it once though. It's not my favourite, but it sounds refreshing, somehow different... I think I should listen to it again, one try is not enough
30.03.2012 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 22:10
you can tell Steve Wilson had a HUGE influence on the sound.

Well obviously!... which is one of the reasons it got fucked up.

I really like Porcupine Tree but I want Wilson to just stay the fuck away and play with his own sandbox not with the sandboxes in other neighbourhoods.

No coincidence considering Opeth started to go downhill after Blackwater Park...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2012 - 22:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2012 at 22:13

but I want Wilson to just stay the fuck away and play with his own sandbox not with the sandboxes in other neighbourhoods.

Lol, awesome!

I didn't mind, I just wish he'd make another Porcupine Tree album instead of screwing around with other shit!
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 22:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 22:20
I didn't mind, I just wish he'd make another Porcupine Tree album instead of screwing around with other shit!

True that.

Hey, we both like Porcupine Tree and Godflesh among all the shit one likes and the other doesn't, it counts for something
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2012 - 22:44
Unhealer
Eclecticist

I really like Porcupine Tree but I want Wilson to just stay the fuck away and play with his own sandbox not with the sandboxes in other neighbourhoods.
No coincidence considering Opeth started to go downhill after Blackwater Park...

Hey, but BWP was their highest point and it involved WIlson.
I like the job that he does as a producer. He delivered with Orphaned Land's "ORwarriOR" for example. Or Anathema's previous record.

And I also like his re-mixing of old prog album classics like King Crimson and Jethro Tull. He is a perfect choice.
30.03.2012 - 22:46
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 22:44

I like the job that he does as a producer. He delivered with Orphaned Land's "ORwarriOR" for example. Or Anathema's previous record.

And I also like his re-mixing of old prog album classics like King Crimson and Jethro Tull. He is a perfect choice.

See all the shit he takes on? Where's my new Porcupine Tree album!!
----
rekt
30.03.2012 - 22:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 22:44

Please note that I wrote "after" Blackwater Park. :

Then again, I like Damnation too, it still felt like Opeth but yeah... Deliverance and everything afterwards just wasn't the same Opeth for me. I personally don't like when someone who isn't in the band has THAT much control, that's how bands lose their identity.
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.03.2012 - 22:51
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by tea[m]ster on 30.03.2012 at 22:46

See all the shit he takes on? Where's my new Porcupine Tree album!!

LOL. I tell you I'd take his latest solo album over any PT record I've heard. That includes In Absentia onwards.
30.03.2012 - 22:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 30.03.2012 at 22:50

Please note that I wrote "after" Blackwater Park. :
Then again, I like Damnation too, it still felt like Opeth but yeah... Deliverance and everything afterwards just wasn't the same Opeth for me. I personally don't like when someone who isn't in the band has THAT much control, that's how bands lose their identity.

Sorry, I though it included BWP .
Deliverance was a low point, I give you that. But then for Ghost Reveries and Watershed he wasn't there and I understand you didn't like any of those either. Anyway I think WIlson affects the sound of the album mostly, I don't believe he interferes in the songwriting THAT much.
30.03.2012 - 23:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 22:56

Deliverance was a low point, I give you that. But then for Ghost Reveries and Watershed he wasn't there and I understand you didn't like any of those either. Anyway I think WIlson affects the sound of the album mostly, I don't believe he interferes in the songwriting THAT much.

Point taken though. I'm still deeply dissapointed in what Opeth has become after Damnation. Not a single album after that gave me any better feelings about their future.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2012 - 02:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Unhealer on 30.03.2012 at 22:51

LOL. I tell you I'd take his latest solo album over any PT record I've heard. That includes In Absentia onwards.

C'mon, seriously? We are in the wrong thread but I think FOABP is his best work BY FAR!
----
rekt
01.04.2012 - 15:49
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.04.2012 at 02:04

C'mon, seriously? We are in the wrong thread but I think FOABP is his best work BY FAR!

FOABP is clearly PT's best work, but I loved Grace For Drowning a lot more. He kinda "cheated" with all the guest musicians though... but anyway.
And yeah, let's try to keep ourselves on topic.
02.04.2012 - 01:50
IronAngel

FOABP is pretty much PT's weakest effort, IMO, and the point I finally lost interested in Wilson. Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and The Sky Moves Sideways are my top three.

As for Anathema, how's the new album? It's been leaked for several weeks now so I'm sure someone has heard it. I missed its brief appearance on Spotify.
02.04.2012 - 16:12
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by IronAngel on 02.04.2012 at 01:50

FOABP is pretty much PT's weakest effort, IMO, and the point I finally lost interested in Wilson. Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and The Sky Moves Sideways are my top three.

As for Anathema, how's the new album? It's been leaked for several weeks now so I'm sure someone has heard it. I missed its brief appearance on Spotify.

Read the album thread and you'll notice everybody loves it except for me.
What I remember is lots of female vocals. And that is not bad, but the album bored me a lot and I want to give a second try at least for now.
23.04.2012 - 02:50
the stranger

Written by Unhealer on 02.04.2012 at 16:12

Written by IronAngel on 02.04.2012 at 01:50

Read the album thread and you'll notice everybody loves it except for me.
What I remember is lots of female vocals. And that is not bad, but the album bored me a lot and I want to give a second try at least for now.

I'll guess Lee Douglas is getting a bigger role since the last album she became a permanent member of the band.
03.05.2012 - 00:50
TheBigRossowski

I didn't like the new album at first, but after awhile I was really diggin' it. They've got that whole... Anathema thing going on. Arguably one of the greatest bands of all time. Just saw them again in Frankfurt too. They're fuckin' monsters live! Unfuckinbelievable!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.05.2012 - 14:58
InnerSelf
proofread free
I also had to go through it a couple of time before appreciating its beauty, I actually prefer it to WAHBWAR now
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.05.2012 - 00:56
Storchillarn

I read a review of the new album, listened to some songs on Youtube and decided to buy it. Now I've been listening to it a couple of days and I have this weird feeling where I don't really like it and yet I do like it. First of all, the texts are generally not that good. With that I mean they're often cliché and don't blend seamlessly with the musical arrangements. Second, the song structures seem to repeat themselves and the album tempo bounces up and down basically throughout the whole album. Third and last, there's something missing. The album feels a bit like a balloon being blown up by someone with bad lungs. There are multiple times where it builds up to a climax but then the air goes out of it before it's fully there. There's one exception, this being the best song on the album: The Gathering of the Clouds. The transition from the wall of sound to the acoustic picking of Lightning Song might be the best moment on the album. Or maybe it's tied with the epic ending part of The Storm Before the Calm. The review I read gave the album 4.5/5. I'd give it 3.5 and ask anyone who calls this album a masterpiece to thoroughly explain what they mean.
07.03.2013 - 04:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but here's Danny and Anekke performing "Untouchables Pt. II" and "Leaves" with a acoustic piano. Pretty amazing: http://offtherecord.fi/anneke-van-giersbergen-danny-cavanagh/ (videos can't be embedded).
30.05.2013 - 07:48
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
I really love their newer stuff. Alternative 4, A Natural Disaster and We're Here Because We're Here are my personal favorites but everything they do is gold.
30.05.2013 - 09:16
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Well I like the older stuff from the Death/Doom period. I dunno why but that's just how I feel.
01.06.2013 - 17:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Unhealer on 07.03.2013 at 04:16

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but here's Danny and Anekke performing "Untouchables Pt. II" and "Leaves" with a acoustic piano. Pretty amazing: http://offtherecord.fi/anneke-van-giersbergen-danny-cavanagh/ (videos can't be embedded).

That was beautiful actually. Tks for sharing
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram