Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 Issue #5 - Great New Demos and EPs

Written by: Susan, BloodTears, Abattoir, Boxcar Willy, wormdrink414
Published: 09.06.2013

Clandestine Cuts Volume 3, Issue #5
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveler of the metal world, rest here a while. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to chose your favorite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favorite independent metal is recognized each year!

Clandestine Cuts News!

Congratulations to Autolatry, black metal from Vol. 2 #3, who are about to release their newest full-length! Click here to read Mr. Doctor's review of their awesome album, entitled Native.

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Contact Susan or email Susan @ MetalStorm . net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:

Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #4
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #3
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #2
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #1

And now to the new music...

The Mascaron - Beginnings
Listen at Bandcamp

I don't know about you, but I like releases that reveal new dimensions each time I listen to them. It is the same when you read a poem; you won't absorb it all the first time. The Mascaron is one of those bands and they also use a variety of elements in their music: progressive, ambient, djenty, hard-hitting, clean vocals and screams all mixed up cohesively. Other than that, they have some similarities with TesseracT especially in some vocal approaches. The synths are predominant and ultimately what gives the EP a fuller and grand sound. Beginnings is the title of this EP and what an auspicious beginning it is...

by BloodTears

Deception - Break The Silence
Listen at Bandcamp

Swedes Deception are introducing themselves with their first official EP Break The Silence, a combination of a death thrash sound. It's a rather "lighter" thrashy sound in the forefront and a more modern approach, yet energetic and speedy enough to raise up the heat. Throughout the EP there can be detected some decent various riffing with some melodic lines and a couple of short solos along the way. With the execution reaching near perfection, surprisingly or not Break The Silence provides a very well made production. Possessing a promising quality and a solid performance, Deception presents quite enjoyable stuff for a debut and of course a strong foundation for future endeavors.

by Abattoir

The Lumberjack Feedback - Hand of Glory
Listen at Bandcamp

Apparently their motto is "loud and low" and god damn if that's not hitting the nail on the head. This is instrumental doom with two drummers. I suspect that there is little else to say on the matter at this point. Anyone who has enjoyed live shows from bands with two drummers (Kylesa spring to mind) know the magic of which I speak. This brand of doom is more ominous than sad. It's less doom and more IMPENDING doom; there are some great build-ups to accompany the dismal passages. While it's still as emotionally heavy as it is musically heavy, I wouldn't necessarily make this the soundtrack to a break-up. I'd make it the soundtrack to a creepy, artsy short film about a jewel heist or bank robbery. I mean, who doesn't love a weird, creepy heist flick? Anyway, The Lumberjack Feedback is an incredibly promising new band, whether you like crushing doom or any good, dark metal.

(Currently, only one of the two EP songs is streaming on Bandcamp.)

by Susan

Graveflowers - Oleander
Listen at Bandcamp

Nasty, home grown, fuck-life black metal. Relying on relentless noise soundscapes, this output features blistering, ear-popping drums, soul ripping DSBM vocals, and of course, overly distorted guitar. This highly experimental demo varies from harsh noise, to ambient, post-rock tones. What I really like about this release is that, just by listening, you can hear that the music is made how the musician(s) wanted. You can tell that they don't care about what other people think, and that confidence carries with the music. A great output from a new band.

by BoxCar Willy

Robot Monkey Arm - Part One: Robot Senza Nome
Listen at Bandcamp

This twelve-piece here has put together about twelve minutes of tuneage that could easily be soundtrack to one of Quentin Tarantino's foot-infested wet dreams. It's partly spaghetti westernized, partly surfy, minimally metal, and above all quirky stuff to have a brief DMT flashback to. Sold yet? If no, you probably suck.

by wormdrink414

Sons Of Lioth - Large Hadron Collider Spider
Listen at ReverbNation

When you see that a band is playing classic heavy metal or "NWOBHM," do you assume they're throwbacks or that they lack an ounce of originallity? I know I do, quite often. But this time OH I WAS WRONG. Damn. I don't know how, but Sons Of Lioth managed to bring originality to classic heavy metal. Buckets of it. The rhythms are fucking infectious, the lyrics are hilarious and intelligent (shit, the title's a physics reference!), and the music is just incredible. This is not some garage band or some cover band attempting to write their own pathetic tunes. No, this is highly professional, quality, energetic, heavy fucking metal. Opening track "Merry Go Round" speaks to their professional quality, the title track speaks to their brilliant humor, and the rest of the EP is just gravy.

by Susan

Poll

Best New Music This Month:

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 146 users
10.06.2013 - 21:13
Crucifux
Account deleted
Robot Monkey Arm wins by sheer ingenuity.
12.06.2013 - 14:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When I was start to read and ''walk'' down till last I thought WTF , so week, no votes but in the end I decide vote for Susan's band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.06.2013 - 23:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I like the fact that at roughly the same time, without any collusion, both Susan and I did write-ups that included the term "Spaghetti Western."
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.06.2013 - 23:12
Susan
Smeghead
Written by BitterCOld on 12.06.2013 at 23:06

I like the fact that at roughly the same time, without any collusion, both Susan and I did write-ups that included the term "Spaghetti Western."

HAHA!! YOU'RE RIGHT!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.06.2013 - 23:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 12.06.2013 at 23:14

The one that says "by wormdrink414" ?

touche' - and even more amusing considering that Susan is involved in proofing my reviews. Wormy has nothing to do with 'em at all, aside from reading them if he's bored.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.06.2013 - 01:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I only liked two out of this list. The Mascaron and Robot Monkey Arm. My vote goes to the second one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2013 - 03:30
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Guest on 12.06.2013 at 23:14

The one that says "by wormdrink414" ?

I thought he just meant that I publish the article (not that I wrote that specific write-up), and was commenting on the coincidence. Oops from both of us
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
13.06.2013 - 05:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Y NO ONE LIKE GRAVEFLOWERS?!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.06.2013 - 15:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.06.2013 at 05:34
Y NO ONE LIKE GRAVEFLOWERS?!

I found it quite good at some points but mostly meh or even shitty. It feels like they tried to pull off a Murmuüre every now and then but failed. Inconsistency is they key word here. There's potential though, specially in tracks like "Dreamwalker, the Rood".
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2013 - 20:28
BloodTears
ANA-thema
What kind of a name is Robot Monkey Arm? I quite like it.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.06.2013 - 12:40
R Lewis

Oh, my God. I'm loving Robot Monkey Arm.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
29.06.2013 - 22:01
Susan
Smeghead
Seriously, where is the love for Sons Of Lioth?! This EP is some of the best classic heavy metal I've heard in years, WAY addictive, and probably ending up somewhere on my best of 2013 list.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
07.07.2013 - 06:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The monkey won for me.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.08.2013 - 19:32
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Robot Monkey Arm sounds very fun, but, being a big doom metal fan, I wouldn't forgive myself, if I didn't vote for The Lumberjack Feedback.
Sons of Lioth is a nice band too, but, while their music is fun and has some pretty cool riffs, it won't likely make me one of their fans.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"

Hits total: 9736 | This month: 17