Metal Storm logo
Def Leppard - Guitarist Vivian Campbell Recovers From Cancer

Def Leppard's guitarist Vivian Campbell has posted a message today on the band's official website revealing that he is currently recovering from cancer. He was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. The band is set to play a series of festivals and headline shows across Europe and North America in June/July 2013 and Vivian Campbell will still be part of the tour and performing with the band.

Vivian released this message: "I feel fortunate that my cancer sent me an alarm call in the form of 'the cough that wouldn't quit'. Otherwise, how would I have known? After several months of trying every inhaler known to man, my doctor finally had me X-rayed. A further CAT scan revealed that enlarged lymph nodes were doing wrestling manoeuvres on my windpipe - hence the cough. What was causing the enlarged lymph nodes, however, was yet to be determined, so I underwent a surgical biopsy on March 11th, the first day of Leppard rehearsals for our Viva Las Vegas shows. Obviously, I didn't make it to rehearsal that day, but it's okay; I know the songs by now."

"My diagnosis was Hodgkin's Lymphoma and 6 months of chemotherapy is the prescribed treatment. I'm about 2 months in and feeling rather spiffy, all things considered. Hodgkin's has an over 80% cure rate, so by my reckoning, if you're going to have a cancer, Hodgie's is the one to have!"

"The reason I'm sharing this with you is because, despite cancer and chemo, me and my new aerodynamic hairstyle (read: no hair) are going on tour this summer with the band and I don't want anyone to be so shocked by my new look that they ask for a refund. Simple economics, really. My family, friends and bandmates have all been extremely supportive through this and I look forward to a summer full of shows with both Def Leppard in June/July and the debut of Last In Line this August."

In August 2013, Vivian will also debut the reunited original Dio band under the name of Last In Line. 30 years after the recording of the legendary Dio albums Holy Diver, Last In Line and Scared Heart, and without trying to replace Ronnie's voice, the original band have started playing the songs they wrote and created together again. Joined by the passionate voice of vocalist Andrew Freeman, Vivian Campbell, Vinny Appice, Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell have united under the name of their classic album, Last In Line, to perform and tour their original songs again.

Source: defleppard.com
Band profile: Def Leppard
Posted: 10.06.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 33 users
10.06.2013 - 21:19
Lit.
Account deleted
Well, good for him.
11.06.2013 - 06:42
mikeprado30

Great news!
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
16.06.2013 - 14:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Irritable Ted on 16.06.2013 at 13:26

Hope Last In Line tour the UK. Would be good to hear Dio songs live one more time. Don't know the vocalist though, hard act to follow RJD.

I would suggest Jorn Lande for that, because he does have Dio\s sound to his vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 1584 | This month: 4