Band: Progenie Terrestre Pura
Album: U​.​M​.​A.
Release date: April 2013

01. Progenie Terrestre Pura
02. Sovrarobotizzazione
03. La Terra Rossa Di Marte
04. Droni
05. Sinapsi Divelte

As a huge fan of writers like Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, and Isaac Asimov, I really have to come out and say that there simply isn't as much science fiction-themed metal out there as there should be. Xenomorphs, Higgs-boson particles, and technologically totalitarian futures generally take a lyrical backseat to topics such as war, religion, and joyous stories of using knives for sexual intercourse with your girlfriend. Every now and then, however, we get blessed with bands (Vektor, Oranssi Pazuzu, etc.) that thankfully do feel like tickling the funny bone of your inner sci fi nerd. Italian duo Progenie Terrestre Pura are hitting the scene hard this year as one of them, and their debut album U.M.A. is, quite simply, a force to be reckoned with.

U.M.A. kicks off with the eponymous "Progenie Terrestre Pura," plunging the listener into a beautiful ringing of synthesizers and keyboards, creating a very all-encompassing, spacey atmosphere that sets the stage for the mood of the album. For a second it seems as though this sound is going to dominate, but about four minutes in the tempo picks up into some more aggressive, prog-style rhythms and some black metal shrieks start to pop in. The two then come together in a perfect hydrogen fusion reaction to form an excellent blend of heavy and melodic. The chugging of the riffs and the shrill vocals in the background are only naturally accentuated by the whooshing vacuums of the keyboards and the psychedelic tone of the guitar leads.

U.M.A. is, admittedly, a lot more atmospheric and ambient than it is heavy, and should probably be called "extreme progressive metal" before "progressive black metal" or something of the like. Although this could be a disappointment to some listeners, if it is an issue at all it's a very minimal one. Progenie Terrestre Pura firmly ground themselves in a spacey, instrumental sound with this release, so when the heavy parts do appear, they feel a lot more like extra flavors than essentials that weren't given their proper value. Some tracks on U.M.A. lean more to one side of the equation than the other, but the maintenance of the two for the most part strikes a fine balance.

So chalk up another victory for space metal! Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon on this one, but U.M.A. definitely looks like it'll go down as one of (if not the) best debuts of 2013. The atmospheric and aggressive elements of it always seem to complement each other, and the beauty of the keyboards and guitar leads (see the beginning of "Sovrarobotizzazione" especially) provides the perfect mood to just sit back, eyes closed, and become lost. While not the perfect album, U.M.A. does show that Progenie Terrestre Pura have a lot of room for growth and improvement, and are definitely a band to keep a close eye on.

Check it out on their Bandcamp. If the music and this review still don't convert you then you might wanna give that cover art a good hard stare for a few minutes, and that'll probably do the trick.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 13.06.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 363 users
13.06.2013 - 04:46
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
Apothecary, you had me at "Xenomorphs, Higgs-boson particles, and technologically totalitarian futures"

SO checking this out. Atmospheric and proggy with some black metal + nerdy lyrics? Definitely.

Quote:
your inner sci fi nerd

INNER? Wait... I'm supposed to hide my sci fi nerdiness and pretend to be cool? SHIT. Why did no one tell me?!!?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
13.06.2013 - 05:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Before I even read this I just wanna say that I've been wondering when you were going to submit a review for it with how much you've been hyping about it for like a month or so.

Now onto the reading...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.06.2013 - 05:40
theembryo

Written by Susan on 13.06.2013 at 04:46
... I'm supposed to hide my sci fi nerdiness and pretend to be cool? SHIT. Why did no one tell me?!!?

sci-fi-nerdiness combined with metal is definitely cool. No sense to pretend. Current audio set-up only allows for the most brief auditioning, but it is quite enough for me to check out the entirety. Thank you for the great review, Apothecary!

What the hell is track #2 please? Over theft privatization???
13.06.2013 - 05:53
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I tried this once and it was lovely, I still owe it more listens! I love the artwork by the way.
13.06.2013 - 07:22
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
Listened on Bandcamp, it was STUNNING, so I ordered the digipack CD

Thanks for reviewing/recommending this, dude!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
13.06.2013 - 07:22
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by psykometal on 13.06.2013 at 05:39

I've been wondering when you were going to submit a review for it with how much you've been hyping about it for like a month or so.

Ugh, just so busy with other listens! Metal Storm certainly isn't the only place I get good album suggestions from, my friends recommend me stuff all the time, I have a listening list a mile long (not just for metal) that sometimes preoccupies me with stuff on here. Too much good music
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.06.2013 - 07:24
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Susan on 13.06.2013 at 07:22

Listened on Bandcamp, it was STUNNING, so I ordered the digipack CD

Thanks for reviewing/recommending this, dude!

Any time, it was actually recommended to me by my buddy Neachy on here, if anything you guys should be thanking him
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.06.2013 - 07:30
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Well I'm completely sold with this review, can never get enough space metal.
13.06.2013 - 14:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I think I got this recommendation by Joe for a month ago or so but I might be wrong. In any case, I've been listening to it since then. It's great stuff indeed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2013 - 18:02
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Love the cover art and the review is interesting. Atmospheric spacey/sci-fi black metal, instantly interested.
13.06.2013 - 20:44
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Great review. Agree with it entirely, and I'm glad to see this album getting some recognition.
14.06.2013 - 00:27
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
I would totally listen to a full album of just the ambient/electro parts in here. I agree with both the rating and the review.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.06.2013 - 03:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by InnerSelf on 14.06.2013 at 00:27

I would totally listen to a full album of just the ambient/electro parts in here.

Hell yeah man, that's what stuff like Ozric Tentacles and Sphongle is for.
----

~ II. VII
14.06.2013 - 04:11
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.06.2013 at 03:41

I would totally listen to a full album of just the ambient/electro parts in here.

Thanks for mentioning Ozric Tentacles. I'm entranced by their stuff atm. Do you recommend Jurassic Shift or another one of their albums?
----
14.06.2013 - 14:24
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Auntie Sahar on 14.06.2013 at 03:41

Oh great ! will get on those fast.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.06.2013 - 15:57
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Nosurper on 14.06.2013 at 04:11

Thanks for mentioning Ozric Tentacles. I'm entranced by their stuff atm. Do you recommend Jurassic Shift or another one of their albums?

They're a lot like Devin Townsend, you know, one of those bands where each album has a different type of sound and is great in its own way, it's really just a matter of checking them all out and forming a personal preference. My personal favorites are probably The Yum Yum Tree and The Floor's Too Far Away
----

~ II. VII
18.06.2013 - 10:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This album is surely great, especially the first track is beast
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.06.2013 - 13:47
necropig

Makes me want to play metroid :s
18.06.2013 - 16:58
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by necropig on 18.06.2013 at 13:47

Makes me want to play metroid :s

You're not the only one, those little *ring ring* sounds on the opener definitely sent me back to my memories of the Gameboy Advance version
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 6613 | This month: 14