06. Leech
07. Ambitions
08. Undo You
09. Lethean
10. First Prayer
11. Dead Letters

Additional info
Acoustic release of Dead End Kings.
Produced and re-arranged by Nyström, Renkse and Eriksson.
Original keyboard tracks co-performed, co-arranged and co-produced by Frank Default.
Original percussion tracks by JP Asplund.
Original tracks recorded at Ghost Ward and The City of Glass.
Acoustic guitars, additional keyboards recorded at Ghost Ward and The City of Glass.
2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround sound mixed by David Castillo.
Mastered by Mats 'Limpan' Lindfors at Cutting Room.
Artwork and design by Travis Smith.

Guest review by
Sunny Pagliaccio
Rating:
Even though some may argue that Dethroned & Uncrowned has no originality sound-wise compared to its ancestor Dead End Kings, I passionately beg to differ.

Read more ››
published 06.08.2015 | Comments (5)

Found in 7 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 1058 users
14.06.2013 - 19:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I can feel the blandness already.
14.06.2013 - 19:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Are they doing "the tesseract"?
14.06.2013 - 19:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 14.06.2013 at 19:25

I actually ended up finding the album to be ok-good. High 6/low 7 I guess (mostly because of "The Racing Heart", the only song that I actually loved).
But an acoustic version of THAT album? Hmmmmm...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2013 - 19:55
Opethian
This could be good, i hope
14.06.2013 - 22:02
Rating: 7
InnerSelf
proofread free
I bet they're only doing this so they can play full acoustic sets with Opeth =P

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.06.2013 at 19:35

I actually ended up finding the album to be ok-good. High 6/low 7 I guess (mostly because of "The Racing Heart", the only song that I actually loved).
But an acoustic version of THAT album? Hmmmmm...

Lethean and The One You Are Looking For are quite awesome as well.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.06.2013 - 03:34
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This is definitely very intriguing. I pledged for it myself and am curious as to whether or not the stripped down, atmospheric sound will change how I feel about the regular album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
15.06.2013 - 05:23
I remixed The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here to try and recreate what I think Katatonia is doing for this acoustic album. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckkd1Ylrsao
17.06.2013 - 05:11
Andresopeth
Definitely will check this out, very intriguin idea, very curious about how Buildings and Lethean will sound
12.07.2013 - 22:18
thyr
I can't wait release date , they are outstanding , will be 100% killer
12.07.2013 - 23:34
MetalSpider
I'm looking forward to hearing it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
08.08.2013 - 18:21
John Shock
I'm dying for this...
14.08.2013 - 04:00
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
staff
Written by Guest on 14.06.2013 at 19:25

Awesome comment!
14.08.2013 - 15:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dream Taster on 14.08.2013 at 04:00

Awesome comment!

19.08.2013 - 14:06
Obay
They should have worked on new material with more progressive & melodic sound and made an acoustic version of " The Racing Heart " as a bonus track ,, but I'm waiting for this release to see how it will sound in the end . Great artwork btw .
23.08.2013 - 00:34
Rating: 6
God Alone
Sorry, Kata. I am a huge fan of yours. I adore Dance Of December Souls, Viva Emptiness and Discouraged Ones. I love Last Fair Deal Gone Down, even if it's not your best. Plus, the latest three releases and Brave Murder Day are some of the most important albums of my life. Not to mention the wonderful remixes and b-sides.

But this pseudo-experiment is so bland and pointless I don't even know what to say. Let's just hope the next album won't have anything to do with this.
26.08.2013 - 21:10
StrongLariat
Listened to it in full, I love it!
02.09.2013 - 10:07
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Hmm, I'm not sure what to really feel about this remix album, I'm thinking a 7.25-7.5/10 on this one. There's elements about this album that I love and I knew already that they were going to strip down everything from the original release, however I was sort of expecting more than what was presented (like a little more support on the back end at least). I'm not disappointed that it's not "heavy" or anything, I just don't feel much for what's offered here. I think it needs more time to settle and grow on me a bit, because there's songs that really benefit from this change like "Lethean" and "Buildings" and hopefully this will show its true beauty with repeated listens (the version of TOYALFINH is starting to grow on me a bit). I hope this doesn't affect the band's songwriting quality for their future albums, because I love everything that they've put out so far. Not that I would mind them going into a more "acoustic" or "soft" direction, but that they do more with that sound than what I'm hearing here.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.09.2013 - 14:54
I would rate it a 6 or a 7. Unfortunately it feels more like an Anathema side project than a new Katatonia album.
09.09.2013 - 15:54
God Alone
The main problem with this release? There are just the same fucking vocal recordings as DEK. I don't hear any reinterpretation at all, there's not the slightest change (apart from some acoustic guitars and piano added here and there, plus a couple of shortened tracks) and I don't see why would I listen to a watered down version of the previous album.
The only *interesting* tracks are the first five; then I gradually lose interest until the terrible renditions of First Prayer and Dead Letters.
I'm giving it a barely decent score just because they're one of my fav bands. 5,5/10
09.09.2013 - 18:44
MELANCOHOLIC
I havent listened to the whole album yet but i think any reinterpretation of the álbum It has before to be a re-release of it not using the same vocals as the 2 songs they have put on Youtube. Dissapointed at first being done the pre-order opcion. I need to check the whole album i guess. I things It would be better idea if they would had been releasesad a whole different New atmospheric album different that any they did IMO
09.09.2013 - 22:23
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I definitely prefer the original album way more. While I respect and admire this band's experimentation, this wasn't what I expected personally. I'm glad it's only a remix of the last album, and not new, original material because this is the first time I can say I was bit disappointed and underwhelmed with a Katatonia album, and I have loved everything this band has put out thus far, so I'm hoping this isn't the start of an era of subpar material from this great band. Again, I won't mind them going down a softer, acoustic route in the future, I just hope they offer more than what this release does. It's still pretty good, just not as good as I thought it would be.

EDIT: This is better than before. I'm loving this more and more as the months go. It's a beautiful release.
----
10.09.2013 - 20:30
Rating: 5
Atom89
Dissapointing album...not because the music itself, but this is just the accoustic version of the previous release.
Not a creative work, nothing new here. I don´t feel it fair to fans and I wonder what does the band pretend?
11.09.2013 - 05:21
Rating: 4
3dd
Oh yeah! Let's rip off the drums and guitars, and keep the same vocals.

Genius. What's next?

Unfurl and Omerta, were great examples of successful and great memorable songs.

I miss the old Katatonia. Badly.
11.09.2013 - 16:37
MELANCOHOLIC
The Racing Heart sounds amazing but at the middle of the album it turns quite boring except for Lethean. A cd to relax and to help you to have a pleasant sleep time
12.09.2013 - 15:45
ironlord
I would actually love if katatonia did exact opposite thing, last album was killer and the darkness was heavy, making album with more aggressive guitar and drums would be killer.
Anyway i was lightly disappointed with this album but last part of Dead Letters pushed me in my seat so hard i wasn't believing that this is just acoustic album. I was full of feels
12.09.2013 - 16:31
Rating: 7
Therapy?
Good effort in my opinion. It sounds really good and it's nice to see these guys experimenting around with their sound. What bothers me though, is that they used the exact same recorded voices amd the exact same speed of the songs, and just mixed it with an acoustic background around it. I would have preferred the songs to be recorded anew and in whole. That way, it would sound less... identical. Even though they are still the same songs. If you get what I mean.
25.09.2013 - 09:34
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Just listened to it for the 2nd time. A bit disappointed, since I ordered the mediabook edition with bonus dvd-v with 5.1 surround mix, and found out that it's not that interesting to listen even in 5.1

So far it goes to the bottom albums of 2013, although the songs are very good. I mean, they could at least re-record the vocals with different emotion and feeling, and this one sounds like they took Frank Default's hard work for Dead End Kings, Jonas' old vocal tracks, and simply added guitars and some additional keys.

I'd say, they could re-release Dead End Kings with this album as a bonus CD - that would have been much more interesting.

But I will listen to this again. Maybe not that frequently, maybe at night... yeah, this one's definitely a "night" album, but not that bad as some of you guys described it. I'm just very disappointed by the fact that they probably done the whole thing within 2 or 3 weeks and received 191% of their not-so-small budget on pledgemusic.com
29.09.2013 - 23:35
Rating: 4
gnirpz
I have the feeling I heard that before and is that feeling, I don't like. Yeah I'm agree with somes here, Let remove the strings and the drum, add some piano and sell it.

It's quickly done, without a lot of thinking. Dead End King is already soft, I mean, be softer than that with those songs? Naaaah!

Is not baaaad, but is not goooood.
09.10.2013 - 20:38
Nivrame
For the first time I have to say "Katatonia why?". This album is so boring, makes me feel nothing.
I won't rate, maybe this album is not so bad as I think, but I can't measure my disapointment
16.10.2013 - 18:01
Bad album......baaad.

Hits total: 17727 | This month: 21