Release dates:
GAS/Finland: 23 Aug 2013
EU: 26 Aug 2013
UK: 2 Sep 2013
NA: 3 Sep 2013

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Is this really for your own good? The opening track for the new effort from Turisas insists to us that it is. Well, all right then, if you say so Turisas, you gave us albums like The Varangian Way so I trust you on this. Let's hear it.

Read more ››
published 19.10.2013 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Wow; come 2013, Turisas were poised to go on to bigger and better things, coming off a run of albums that had seen the Finnish band create a reputation for themselves as a folk metal band to keep an eye on. This poorly named album was supposed to be the crowning achievement that their career had built up to. Instead, it has killed all momentum the band had, to the point that, as of time of writing (April 2020), the band has only toured sporadically and not released any new material since. Why this is, is evident when the album comes to a finish and you can evaluate just what on earth you have endured.

Read more ››
published 09.04.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 769 users
14.06.2013 - 20:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
What a terrible album title.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.06.2013 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I thought that was a typo until I clicked on the thread and saw the album art.
14.06.2013 - 20:12
@gent_-_orange

Same here, This beats Behemoth's newest for the worst album title this year.
19.06.2013 - 02:56
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

It's a joke. There's no other explanation.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
25.06.2013 - 23:25
Rating: 4
FeskarN

That was a boring song. Hope the rest of the album doesn't sounds like that. Sounds like a different band for sure
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
03.08.2013 - 23:25
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 14.06.2013 at 20:09

I thought that was a typo until I clicked on the thread and saw the album art.

I saw the title in the forums and thought some jackass had thought they found a genius way to circumvent the "no TBA" rule. Thought I was gona have to remove somebodies permissions...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.08.2013 - 03:04
HyperDrifter

Was hoping that the album title and cover was going to change to something more...epic, hell just calling it s/t Turisas would have been better. Never mind though, I'm interested to see where it goes with this one, I've liked the two songs put out so far and interested to see how this one goes down. I respect the band for standing for something different rather than putting out rehashes of the same stuff.
19.08.2013 - 18:43
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Track 5 and I'm surprised by it. It is not as shitty as I thought it'ld be :O

Edit: The second half is pretty average material. 6/10
20.08.2013 - 17:08
Rating: 9
ChrisWinther

God, this album is progressive
23.08.2013 - 15:14
Spanishkiller

Terrible album
23.08.2013 - 19:19
Rating: 8
Pesek

Great songs! You once hear one of them and you will sing it for all day
23.08.2013 - 20:00
HyperDrifter

I'm in two minds, part of me wants to hate it, part of me wants to love it, I keep listening to it but still remain uncertain. Sure is different, I was not sure what to expect, now I don't know how to react
23.08.2013 - 21:25
Rating: 6
Sword_Chant

I think i'll stick to my Battle Metal CD...

One or two songs are ok but that's all I could get into. Without even comparing this album to the other 3, it was really hard to listen to, even if this was their debut album I would have said the same thing.

Every band has their ups and downs, this album just didn't have enough creativity or originality to hook me.

Edit: Maybe i'm in a bad mood. Out of generosity and bearing in mind that most songs still have an 'upbeat' factor about them, i'm giving it a 6/10.
28.08.2013 - 09:22
Rating: 8
HeathenHeart

Yeah, the album title has no imagination whatsoever. After hearing their first single from the album I didn't get my hopes up too high, despite being a big Turisas fan. However i think its a good album for the most part - my favorite tracks are We Ride Together, No Good Story..., Ten More miles and Into the Free. But seriously....what were they thinking with Run Bhanger Eater Run? If theyre not doing the whole 'Varangian' theme anymore then why make a middle east-sounding song? And have a woman moaning loudly throughout the track? Its really awkward listening to that song in the presence of other people. This album was a slight, slight let down and i definitely wont get my hopes up for the next album. In my experience though, bands that have a high turn-over of band members tend to get worse instead of better with time. It usually means the founding members are too strict and demanding.
----
Hold the Heathen Hammer Highest of all your goals
29.08.2013 - 15:57
Risto
Wandering Midget
Progressive folk metal...
29.08.2013 - 16:37
IronAngel

I made the effort to watch their new video because my friend is in it (the girl tasting the soup and getting burned in the hut; they used her re-enactment group for the shooting), but it was pretty embarassing musically.
31.08.2013 - 12:07
Moose

The first three tracks are pretty good. Things go downhill from there. We Ride Together concludes the album on a strong note, but overall I found this album quite average.
02.09.2013 - 10:03
Rating: 7
Gurth Bennas

I expected better of Turisas! When I listened to its songs I realized I'm listening to Manowar or Iron Maiden songs. it's nearly heavy metal with some Black riffs not Viking Folk metal! but the melodies deserve a 7!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
03.09.2013 - 21:06
kaspair

The album is just as bad as the title and the cover art.
----
Last FM
08.09.2013 - 12:47
Rating: 7
Svneatr
Vitharr
Was ok. Would probably rate this higher than their previous but still a bit disappointing.
09.09.2013 - 13:26
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Disappointing and boring. I expected more from Turisas.
10.09.2013 - 20:40
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
WTF! Way worse than I thought it was going to be.

The first few tracks are misleading as they actually sound decent but as the album progresses the songs become more and more obscure. Turisas is having an identity crisis, this album includes influences from Pink Floyd, jazz, death metal, 80's pop, punk, hell there's even a techno remix of Guards of Glory intermixed with "Tea"! Those influences are fine and all but the problem is it makes the album sound completely disjointed and underdeveloped cuz not only will the album change genre song-to-song but it will also change genre within the song itself.

Im fine with bands changing their sound and developing, in fact I loved Stand Up, but the ultimate crime this album committed is being undecided, it doesn't know what genre it wants to be even from one riff to the next.

Do yourself a favor, go to iTunes download "For Your Own Good" & "Ten More Miles" and forget the rest of the album exists.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
10.09.2013 - 21:21
Sword_Chant

After giving the album a bit more of a chance, it's not a dreadful album. Piece by Piece is probably the strongest track. But some songs are weird as hell.. i'd give one or two songs an 8/10, but as an album I still stick to the 6 rating. Songwriting and innovation has took a huge dip ever since the 3rd album imo.
11.09.2013 - 18:47
nille

11.09.2013 - 18:51
nille

Album is very bad...
11.09.2013 - 18:54
nille

I am very sad
I loved Turisas since ... I just do not think his new album Poor
30.09.2013 - 08:02
Rating: 9
Slagmetal

I think more bands should focus on sound dynamics like this album did. The title was strange, but I don't give a shit about the title of an album if the music is good. They always seem to have a strong focus on developing catchy melodies and presenting them in a manner that makes me want to swing my hair. Success in my book.
01.10.2013 - 09:19
*NorthernLights*

What happened? How can a band that has had 3 good albums in a row manage to do this. I'm not even sure their fans are pissed off...more like disappointed. Also, that's a terrible title. Oh well, at least we'll always have The Varangian way...
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
07.10.2013 - 02:12
Isingr

Written by AngelofDeth on 10.09.2013 at 20:40

Im fine with bands changing their sound and developing, in fact I loved Stand Up, but the ultimate crime this album committed is being undecided, it doesn't know what genre it wants to be even from one riff to the next.

I've realized I actually enjoy the songs more when I listen to them individually, which I think sort of proves your point.
I really wouldn't mind a change in style if the album was solid (Stand Up And Fight WAS quite a change in style and it was damn solid in my opinion), but this new album just lacks coherence.

All in all a disappointing effort, which truly saddens me as an enthusiast of their previous albums...
01.11.2013 - 19:47
Neroese
Account deleted
Quote:
No Good Story Ever Starts With Drinking Tea

Oh god, so deathcore/post-hardcore song name. Anyway - I really enjoyed 'Battle Metal' and 'Rasputin'. I need to try this album. Opinions are very mixed here...

Hits total: 13275 | This month: 20