01. King Antichrist
02. 666 Voices Inside
03. Attera Totus Sanctus
04. Godhate
05. Atrum Regina
06. Angel Flesh Impaled
07. Feed On The Mortals
08. Final Ritual

Dark Funeral released their long-awaited fourth full-length studio album "Attera Totus Sanctus" in the year 2005. The entire lyrics for this album has been written by Emperor Magus Caligula and the music has been composed mostly by Lord Ahriman, also helped by Chaq Mol in certain songs like "Godhate," "666 voices inside," and "Feed on the mortals."

This album, consisting of 8 tracks in the band's usual style is a raw, speedy and aggressive black metal album. With an average track length of around 5 minutes the songs in the album have the ability to provide the utmost enjoyment not only to a black metal fan but also to an extreme metal fan in general. These songs make us imagine an ancient or supernatural world, where battle between evil forces and the god (certainly not the Pagan gods, only the Christian god!) occur frequently. Characterized by fast rhythms, riffs and drumming, these songs are drenched in evil, Satanic and anti-Christian thoughts. The way in which the lyrics have expressed these thoughts is certainly artistic; one may disagree with the lyrical themes, but he will certainly appreciate the way the lyrics have been written. I find Matte's energetic drumming, and especially the way he plays the cymbals as well as Emperor Magus Caligula's vocals (powerful-screaming type), which sound more brutal and aggressive than ever, noteworthy. Musically as well, the songs are of high quality and are melodic at times with an aggressive sound. The use of clean guitars in these songs is negligible. The band's music composition and instrumental skills are worthy of appreciation.

The band has created a "chilling" atmosphere in their music without the use of synthesizers. Because of the instrumental skills, well-composed music and the timing in the performance, this album deserves "10" for their performance. I, personally, have been fully satisfied with the lyrics although their sound in this album was, in my opinion not as good as that in "Diabolis Interium." This album is certainly for an admirer of fast, raw and aggressive music, and will be remembered as a black metal masterpiece?. "fast, raw, great and aggressive," this is how mighty Dark Funeral will be remembered!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Paganblood | 21.12.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 105 users
21.12.2006 - 14:38
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
I agree! Good review man...
In my opinion, this is the best Dark Funeral album! It all sounds evil, fast, destructive!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
21.12.2006 - 14:43
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Yes, I really liked this album a lot!! Other dark funeral albums are great as well!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
14.01.2007 - 08:44
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
This album impressed me so much that I couldn't stop myself from rating it lesser than 10.
----
28.02.2007 - 21:49
Black Serpent
Account deleted
This review is majestetic good^^ And the album is the best masterpiece I've ever heard!

Hail, Dark Funeral!
04.03.2007 - 05:20
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
The ratings were adjusted later.... it was 10 in the beginning but it seemed so absurd that it had to be adjusted again.
----
17.10.2007 - 08:22
BlackGoTH
Account deleted
This album is a masterpiece.
13.02.2008 - 19:15
pantera666
Account deleted
in my opinion, this is the best dark funeral album ever
01.04.2008 - 13:44
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
very good album, almost as good as Diabolis Interium, and hard to find a bad song as well.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
12.06.2008 - 14:09
Rating: 9
Mull666

good album however his voice is quite clearly brocken and either needs to do some major healing or they should look into a new lead singer, he sounds almost as bad as dimmu borgirs latest vocal effort in "in sorte diaboli"
13.06.2008 - 18:27
FOOCK Nam

I love the track Atrum Regina, good riff of melody and sick lyric.
01.12.2009 - 15:36
Rating: 8
Slayer666

HELLYEAH!!! An amaizing album indeed. When he screams:

Angel flesh impaled, it is so beautiful.
Feathers falling down, over the bloodstained ground.
The painful angels scream, sweet music to my ears.

it's like he takes you into the fiery depths of Hell.
Both atmospheric, and technical.

Hits total: 6157 | This month: 4