Metal Storm logo
Complex Time Signatures - Metre

16.06.2013 - 18:14
Neroese
Account deleted
Hiho everyone!

I like progressive music, Specialy some avantgarde/progressive metal and core acts, but even that - why theres not so many bands that trying themselfs in onher metre than 4/4? I know only some songs in other metre:

Doomsday Party by Sybreed is on 8/6, and this track:

has 5/4 on refrain.
Does somebody know some non 4/4 tracks? And please, don't write bands like Periphery and Meshuggah, cuz they're on 4/4.
17.06.2013 - 19:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Okay, Meshuggah play in many different time signatures so you're incorrect there. Despised icon has been known to play in 5/4 and 11/6. Guitar pro tabs can give you a lot of info about time signatures.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.06.2013 - 20:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 17.06.2013 at 19:46

Okay, Meshuggah play in many different time signatures so you're incorrect there. Despised icon has been known to play in 5/4 and 11/6. Guitar pro tabs can give you a lot of info about time signatures.

In actual fact most of Meshuggah's stuff is indeed played in 4/4, it's just some of the other instruments are arranged around that in unusual ways to give the appearance of odd time signatures. Mårten Hagström confirms that here.

Quote:
We've never really been into the odd time signatures we get accused of using. Everything we do is based around a 4/4 core. It's just that we arrange parts differently around that center to make it seem like something else is going on.
19.06.2013 - 18:05
Neroese
Account deleted
Yup. As I write before - 'shuggah play most of their songs in 4/4. They sound not like 4/4 becouse they use polyrhytmic and syncope.
01.07.2013 - 18:56
Uldreth
I don't have that good auditory recognition skills and music theory knowledge to actually determine time signatures by listening but I do like music with weird and mathy rhythms and well, generally mathcore (and often prog metalcore) is something known for doing that so I recommend looking around there.