Metal Storm logo
Queensrÿche - Entire New Album Streaming Online

Progressive metallers Queensrÿche are offering fans the opportunity to listen to their entire new self-titled album ahead of its release. You can listen to the whole thing over here, so enjoy it while it is available. The album drops officially on June 24th in Europe and June 25th in North America via Century Media Records.

Queensrÿche is the first album to feature new vocalist Todd La Torre and the comparisons with Geoff Tate's Queensrÿche are inevitable. Well, now you can compare this release to Frequency Unknown.

Queensrÿche tracklist:

01. X2
02. Where Dreams Go To Die
03. Spore
04. In This Light
05. Redemption
06. Vindication
07. Midnight Lullaby
08. A World Without
09. Don't Look Back
10. Fallout
11. Open Road

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Queensrÿche
Posted: 18.06.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 13   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 96 users
18.06.2013 - 13:55
R Lewis

Ten times better than Frequency Unknown. But well, even my farts are better than Tate's last works...
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
18.06.2013 - 14:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Some of the songs feel a bit rushed and unfinished, but the sound on the album is wonderful, and most importantly, very much Queensryche. I would say that had Chris DeGarmo been on board for this album, it could have been a true return to the glory days of the band. Ultimately, this is the best thing the band have put out since "Promised Land", but it definitely could have been better. "Open Road" is absolutely magical though, a truly beautiful song. <3

Compared with something like "Dedicated To Chaos", this album is a masterpiece, but compared with their classic works, it's just a little bit lacking. They need to get Chris back in the band I think, if they are going to release anything truly phenomenal in the future. However, I feel able to be proud of being a Queensryche fan again, so for that I thank Todd and the other guys very much. Oh, and on that note, Todd sounds absolutely amazing on the album. Perfect replacement for Geoff!
18.06.2013 - 14:26
Pokermask

Just heard this album and... wow! WOW!!! I'm quite impressed by this release. A hell of a lot better than what I expected. This is probably their best album since Promised Land.
18.06.2013 - 15:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 18.06.2013 at 15:28

Although it is a massive improvement over anything they have done since Promised Land, there are no real stand out classics.

A good return, but they need a better song writer. As Angelic said, they need Chris back.

As with the new Sabbath album, nothing really wrong with it, but once I've stopped listening to it nothing will stick in my head.

I would pretty much agree with all that, although a couple of the songs are "growers", and are actually very good songs. "Open Road" deserves a much better solo than the one which is on it, and could also have done with a more expansive arrangement similar to say "Silent Lucidity". I think if Chris could of got his hands on that song it could have been a true classic, but as it is, it's simply a very nice song.

There are a lot of good things on the album, but it does feel like it's missing something. That little something extra that could have made it very special. And I think that missing ingredient is Chris.

I can only be glad that they've stopped churning out dross like "Dedicated To Chaos" and "American Soldier" though. I think it is clear now that Geoff can be held mainly responsible for the way the last few albums sounded.
18.06.2013 - 16:23
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Great album! I know it's been said a million times, but it's true, this band is refreshed and alive once again! Beat that Tate.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.06.2013 - 22:26
JÄY
Metal slave
Good album... way too short, but we know why.
18.06.2013 - 22:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 18.06.2013 at 16:02
This line up, with the addition of Chris. Mindcrime III anyone? I wouldn't count it out. Can you imagine the reaction.

I don't think Mindcrime III would be a possibility without Geoff, as he partly owns the rights to the Mindcrime story. So he would have to give his blessing for the other guys to do it without him, which he wouldn't do in a million years. But the idea of Chris rejoining this lineup of the band excites me. I dunno if it would ever happen, but if it did, I'd be overjoyed. I just hope he realises exactly how much he is missed by the majority of Queensryche fans.
19.06.2013 - 00:02
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
I think people here praise Chris DeGarmo way too much. Yeah, he is a great figure, he did a great job on the bands first 5 albums, but he failed misserably on Hear and the Now Frontier which ultimately led to his departure.

I don't know if the guy could still do a good job considering the fact that he has been out of the scene for so long. Not to mention, we have no guarantee that the man has not become an obsolete musician, as Queensryche only went downhill from Mindcrime I.

Indeed, Tate could be held responsible for the last albums. While American Soldier has 1-2 good songs, Dedicated to Chaos is an abomination. I just hope that this album will be a stepping stone for even better releases in the future. After all, you can't really expect another Mindcrime after such a sudden line-up change.
19.06.2013 - 00:47
Lit.
Account deleted
If anything, I bet Tate's gonna be the first one to jump at OP:MCIII.
19.06.2013 - 01:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 19.06.2013 at 00:02

I think people here praise Chris DeGarmo way too much. Yeah, he is a great figure, he did a great job on the bands first 5 albums, but he failed misserably on Hear and the Now Frontier which ultimately led to his departure.

I don't know if the guy could still do a good job considering the fact that he has been out of the scene for so long. Not to mention, we have no guarantee that the man has not become an obsolete musician, as Queensryche only went downhill from Mindcrime I.

Chris' "performance" on HITNF really had nothing to do with his departure. There was a lot of tension within the band at that time, as even back then, Geoff was trying to take control of the band. When Chris rejoined the band for the "Tribe" album, he was initially going to rejoin permanently, but ultimately he left again due to friction between himself and Geoff in the studio over what direction to take the band in musically. It could be argued that Chris' writing on those albums had something to do with Geoff trying to dictate how Queensryche should sound. I think Chris just had a far lower tolerance level for Geoff's antics than the other band members, which is why he bailed out instead of soldiering on like the rest of the band.

There is a question mark over whether he still has what it takes in the songwriting department, but still, I'd be interested to see what he could bring to the table now that the band is free from Geoff's dictatorship.
19.06.2013 - 16:40
Nemo Atkins

Written by Angelic Storm on 19.06.2013 at 01:27

There is a question mark over whether he still has what it takes in the songwriting department, but still, I'd be interested to see what he could bring to the table now that the band is free from Geoff's dictatorship.

As would I. I've not listened to Tribe (and I have no intention of listening to anything post-Hear In The Now Frontier up to Frequency Unknown (which I'm only counting at the minute because of the ongoing court thing: I consider it a Geoff Tate solo album, no matter what name he's put on the front of it): I've only just got into the band and I already get the idea that most of it is poor at best. Not to mention I didn't like Hear In The Now Frontier that much anyway...), but, based on what I've heard from feedback on it, Chris' contributions on that were among the best songs on it, so there probably is something he can offer to Queensryche if he came back. Whether this would make the music return to the level of the classics is another question, but I'm happy enough with this album that, if this is what all future Queensryche albums will sound like, I'll be happy as long as they keep going.

I do have to say this now, though: if Chris does return to Queensryche (and I'm assuming this line up is the one that will get to keep the name here. I'm pretty sure they will, but the fact that it could still work against them is something I'm keeping in mind for now), I'm hoping they don't get rid of Parker. I know he originally only came into the band as a replacement, but I think he's more than proved himself worthy of being in the band on this album, so getting rid of him just because Chris is returning wouldn't be fair to him. Although part of me would love to hear Queensryche trying out a triple guitar attack like Iron Maiden, so I'm probably a bit biased at the minute...
19.06.2013 - 23:06
thehondo

Now we know for sure..Tate was paralyzing this band. Todd sounds great and the old Ryche style is back. Probably not as good as Empire or Mindcrime but very good and comparable with very catchy tunes, great sound and production!
----
No time like the present
20.06.2013 - 02:36
Neeman

I've been on my 10th listen and this album has really grown on me A LOT. Many of the guitar solos remind me of something off Rage and the melodies remind me of Empire. It's not a "classic" (whatever that really means as each of the first 6 albums are not the same) but it keeps the themes of what made QR a force in the 80's - 90's come back to life. I think this record is going to lay the foundation for an epic album. Todd mentioned in an interview how the next album will be heavier and longer songs similar to "Roads to Madness"

So let's all enjoy the straight up non-stop 35 mins of this album and support these guys!!! I'm buying two copies!!

Hits total: 2766 | This month: 4