02. Qamar (Islamic Lies P.1)
03. 72 Virgins
04. Behind The Horns Of Allah
05. The Prophecy Of Rape
06. Qabr (Islamic Lies P.2)
07. Islamophobia
08. Sura 9
09. Allah Is Dead

Looking back on over thirty years of black metal history, probably the most important mindset that runs at the core of the genre is the extreme challenge and opposition to conventional norms, and the celebration of things than run counter to them. In the realm of religion, this usually takes the form of anti-Christianity, which peaked in the early 90s with the Norwegian scene and their lovely church-burning escapades. As black metal progresses, though, one has to ask oneself: why Christianity? The faith may have the distinction of being the most oppressive religion throughout history, but surely it isn't the only one, no? Where are the black metal bands decrying Judaism, or Islam, or even extreme Hinduism? Well, ponder no more, ladies and gents, because this year Iraq's Seeds Of Iblis have given us an answer to that question.

Anti Quran Rituals is exactly what the title implies: nine raw, aggressive, and relentless tracks rampaging against the religion of Islam and the historical domination of its subjects. Some tracks contain spoken word bits to enhance this effect, presumably brutal quotes from the Quran intended to portray the true ferocity of Islam ("Qamar," "Qabr," "Islamophobia"). The music has a very eastern, minor key tonality to reinforce the lyrical themes, and can sometimes get quite melodic in this aspect, like on "Qabr," and towards the end of "From Mecca To Jahannam."

Unquestionably, however, the real genius of Anti Quran Rituals lies in the production. For the most part, it's that raw and gritty sound you'd expect from black metal, and this actually goes very well with the harsh, infuriated vibe of the lyrical topics ("Behind The Horns Of Allah," "72 Virgins," "The Prophecy Of Rape"). But then, almost like a surprise birthday party, those little melodic moments creep up on you out of nowhere, and when they come in, the production's a lot cleaner, more balanced, and at some points the bass is even pleasantly audible (check out the middle of "From Mecca To Jahannam" in particular).

The beauty of Anti Quran Rituals strikes in many ways aside from the musical delivery. For starters, it satisfies the question of "where's all the Asian metal at?" as well as "where's the originality towards anti-religion in black metal?" But above all, there's a certain alluring quality in the fact that Seeds Of Iblis are Iraqi, because not only does it speak against the stereotype that all Middle Easterners are just Islamic radicals, but it's also testament to the band's courage, that they have the balls to put out a vehemently anti-Islamic album in an area of the world where doing so could result in serious repercussions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 19.06.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 58   Visited by: 425 users
21.06.2013 - 11:09
RIITIIR

Norwegians bands (also a lot of bands from Europe) choose to target Christianity because they invaded their lands and forcefully made people to practice Christianity. Whereas, when Muslim conquered Jerusalem or any other place, they allowed people to practice their preferred religion. Nowadays, they also have black sheep among themselves.
21.06.2013 - 20:55
UnknownCheese

"This just in; metal musician found beheaded and fucked in ass for anti-Islamic comments"
21.06.2013 - 21:08
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Gibberish if you ask me ! how about reading this too : http://metalluminati.com/anti-islamic-black-metal-band-from-iraq-a-hoax/
21.06.2013 - 21:52
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 21.06.2013 at 21:08

Gibberish if you ask me ! how about reading this too : http://metalluminati.com/anti-islamic-black-metal-band-from-iraq-a-hoax/

If you read a little further up in the comments, I already mentioned something along those lines. According to their profile on Metal-Archives, all "official" names and photographs of the band members are fake. The band, if they are indeed Iraqi, have also apparently received help from the French embassy and have plans to move their in the future. Whether a hoax or not, somebody has to be doing this music, and props to them, because it's fucking good.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.06.2013 - 22:23
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 21.06.2013 at 21:52

If you read a little further up in the comments, I already mentioned something along those lines. According to their profile on Metal-Archives, all "official" names and photographs of the band members are fake. The band, if they are indeed Iraqi, have also apparently received help from the French embassy and have plans to move their in the future. Whether a hoax or not, somebody has to be doing this music, and props to them, because it's fucking good.

I also think that their music is fake, the name " Anahita" is a Persian name( an ancient Persian goddess) I don't know how the hell an Iraqi can use this name, the cover photo they used is by an Iranian photographer : http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YKpFo4WymBg/Tt2konHR-0I/AAAAAAAAAYk/C6KBggxliMw/s1600/shirin_neshat-05.jpg they're really too suspicious
22.06.2013 - 00:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 21.06.2013 at 22:23

They're really too suspicious

Understandably so, though. As I said in the review, doing this kind of thing in that part of the world isn't exactly the safest thing, so the band would be likely to maintain a veil of secrecy to begin with. Or, maybe it is just some "40-year old white guy in Georgia" doing it all for the hell of it
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
22.06.2013 - 16:01
Aetherius

Badass man, this has been on my list to get for a while
23.06.2013 - 19:03
Oaken
Hipster
Had this not been an example of anti-islamic metal, I don't think it would've been given an 8 or even reviewed in the first place. This album is receiving enormous hype because of its lyrical/ideological themes and not because of the actual music, which is quite inferior to that of A LOT of other middle-eastern bands.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
23.06.2013 - 19:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I actually enjoyed their music and I'm sure Apothecary isn't dumb to like it just because of it's lyrical contents. That being said, I'm pretty sure other people are dumb enough to get their panties wet just because of the lyrics.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.06.2013 - 19:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
^Same here, I really enjoy the music. I very rarely listen to bands for their lyrics (especially not any band whose lyrics have anything to do with religion, for or against) so I could care less about their anti-Islamic stance. I will admit though that I decided to check out the band because of the controversy, but only because I wanted to see if their music was any good.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.06.2013 - 19:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I think why Oaken dismisses it as nothing special is because of the lyrical content which is anti-Islamic and as we all know Oaken does get quite a bit offended when someone attacks his religion.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2013 - 20:33
Rating: 4
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I have to check out their music to see if it REALLY lives up to that much anticipation and hype. In my experience, it was the presentation that made the headlines, not the ingenuity found in music itself.
23.06.2013 - 20:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Monolithic on 23.06.2013 at 20:33

I have to check out their music to see if it REALLY lives up to that much anticipation and hype. In my experience, it was the presentation that made the headlines, not the ingenuity found in music itself.

Their music has improved from what it once was but it's still derivative and done-to-death black metal. Enjoyable for what it is but not noteworthy.
23.06.2013 - 22:50
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Guest on 23.06.2013 at 20:40

Written by Monolithic on 23.06.2013 at 20:33

Their music has improved from what it once was but it's still derivative and done-to-death black metal. Enjoyable for what it is but not noteworthy.

Oh, then I guess they just sent out a message.
23.06.2013 - 22:53
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Oaken on 23.06.2013 at 19:03

Had this not been an example of anti-islamic metal, I don't think it would've been given an 8 or even reviewed in the first place. This album is receiving enormous hype because of its lyrical/ideological themes and not because of the actual music, which is quite inferior to that of A LOT of other middle-eastern bands.

I agree, partially. I'd take bands like Melechesh and Orphaned Land over this any day, but the lyrical themes certainly aren't the only appeal on this album. Like I said in the review, it's mostly about the production for me, it may not be perfectly balanced between the raw edge and the cleaner parts, but the fact that the clean parts are even there in the first place certainly makes it more interesting than your average black metal band, no?
----

~ II. VII
26.06.2013 - 12:26
Monolithic
♠♠♠
...And it was "disappointing" for me. But they did a job alright, sending out a message hidden below the imbalanced, inferior music they play. I probably would give it a 6 or 7. Good review, though.
26.06.2013 - 15:18
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 22.06.2013 at 00:39

Understandably so, though. As I said in the review, doing this kind of thing in that part of the world isn't exactly the safest thing, so the band would be likely to maintain a veil of secrecy to begin with. Or, maybe it is just some "40-year old white guy in Georgia" doing it all for the hell of it

ah well although I kinda agree with what you mean,yeah writing or playing this kinda music is not really the safest thing to do in Iraq (totally in middle east,because of their lyrical theme and such,sure it can pisses off the whole reign to attack them,let alone the reign never got pissed off by the genocide is happening in Syria,oh my I'm not trying to add political approaches,I just wanted to give more explanations ) but it's not harder to the same thing in Iran.I mean if they were in Iran they were immediately get identified by authorities, but still there are underground bands which don't hide themselves like this.
26.06.2013 - 15:23
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.06.2013 at 19:52

I think why Oaken dismisses it as nothing special is because of the lyrical content which is anti-Islamic and as we all know Oaken does get quite a bit offended when someone attacks his religion.

but really I get no offense from this kind of music ,but they're not special musically, they're plenty of underground bands here which they need such attention too, but seems that they only got dismissed. I can't understand this amount of buzz about them either.
26.06.2013 - 16:58
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 15:23

but really I get no offense from this kind of music ,but they're not special musically, they're plenty of underground bands here which they need such attention too, but seems that they only got dismissed. I can't understand this amount of buzz about them either.

Most hyped bands nowadays are so for reasons outside the music department. And to begin with, I don't think Seeds of Iblis are making that much noise....

For sure their anti-islamic stance and some internet articles describing them as the spearhead of anti-islamic BM that have to hide their identities and all that has a major impact on the buzz, as in a way it became something new just like a lot of bands got attention coz of the costumes they wore or their lyric themes.

But I do agree that other underground bands deserve it much more when it comes to music, but unfortunately, music industry doesn't work that way.....
26.06.2013 - 18:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 15:23

I can't understand this amount of buzz about them either.

People are either going to react in praise or in fear to something perceived as unfamiliar. In this case, it's the first one. Anti-Islamic black metal isn't all that common, so of course people in the underground scene are going to be prone to fap and overhype about it, no matter how bad (or good) the bands that do it are.
----

~ II. VII
29.06.2013 - 18:19
Swamphell

Why don't you listen to Acyl if u wanna know about Islam
or I guess u wanna know about anti Islam more than knowing about Islam it self
29.06.2013 - 18:33
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Swamphell on 29.06.2013 at 18:19

Who said that? I have read parts of the Quran many times, I own an English copy with parallel Arabic text, and I find many passages to be beautiful in their use of word repetition and other poetic techniques. But there are also two sides to every coin, and the beauty of Islam also can have a very violent, savage side as well, both within the Quran and in the behavior of some of its practitioners. I'm not taking anti Islam over Islam, or vice versa. I'm interested in the lessons to be taught from both. Inhale information from all sides, exhale the bullshit, and form my own opinion: that's my style.
----

~ II. VII
29.06.2013 - 20:53
Erik M.

I checked this one out, but the INCREDIBLY annoying islamic chants throughout the songs made me really hate this album, since it reminds me of religion (which I generally despise... can't help but being realistic here since religion does more harm than good to people).

So for me this is totally unlistenable. That being said however, the "normal" black metal parts are actually good, but it doesn't weigh up to the horrible chants. Also, why the hell are those chants in it anyway if they claim to be anti-islamic. So no offence to you (Apothecary), but I'm not going to waste my time on this music. And I really hope this album doesn't get added to your list.
29.06.2013 - 21:14
Swamphell

Written by Auntie Sahar on 29.06.2013 at 18:33

Written by Swamphell on 29.06.2013 at 18:19

Who said that? I have read parts of the Quran many times, I own an English copy with parallel Arabic text, and I find many passages to be beautiful in their use of word repetition and other poetic techniques. But there are also two sides to every coin, and the beauty of Islam also can have a very violent, savage side as well, both within the Quran and in the behavior of some of its practitioners. I'm not taking anti Islam over Islam, or vice versa. I'm interested in the lessons to be taught from both. Inhale information from all sides, exhale the bullshit, and form my own opinion: that's my style.

I'm glad that u seek the truth yourself and I want u to continue in it, u impressed me when u told me about how u read parts of translated Qur'an
but I want to hint some points to u :
1) we metal-heads know how media trying to control our minds and telling us what to love and what to hate so don't believe every story about Muslims there are so many lies and so many truth as well .
2) don't judge Islam as religion with every acts that done by a Muslims , there are so many Muslims doing terrible things in the name of Islam ; these guys had two scenarios a)they understand Islam in wrong way b) they are not Muslims but trying to convince u that they are Muslims
3)there are two main Ideas in Islam the general idea it is about worshiping : praying , Zakah : paying money for the pours ,...etc
and specific idea it is about the act of human ; being honest , trusted and nice to others ...etc
4)forgive me for my bad English and seek the truth yourself
29.06.2013 - 21:35
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Well, guys bring back your trains on track. We're going way too offtopic.
30.06.2013 - 05:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.06.2013 at 21:35

Well, guys bring back your trains on track. We're going way too offtopic.

That tends to happen when articles get over 50 comments... like a fucking dissertation or something
----

~ II. VII
06.07.2013 - 10:15
Sunioj

I went back to this album after the hype died a bit so I can get an objective feel for the album. While the atmopshere is pretty good and there is some cool melodic solos here and there, I find the album to be very formula driven. Nothing special here. I give it a 7 at most.
18.08.2014 - 21:23
JD
Account deleted
Thanks for the review. I just finished listning to the album. I like the Arabic pharses in it, make it more spical for me since I undurstand the language. Kinda little bit creepy but very strong message. Reminds me of Ayat which IMO are the best AIBM band .

Hits total: 12251 | This month: 19