02. Qamar (Islamic Lies P.1)
03. 72 Virgins
04. Behind The Horns Of Allah
05. The Prophecy Of Rape
06. Qabr (Islamic Lies P.2)
07. Islamophobia
08. Sura 9
09. Allah Is Dead

Looking back on over thirty years of black metal history, probably the most important mindset that runs at the core of the genre is the extreme challenge and opposition to conventional norms, and the celebration of things than run counter to them. In the realm of religion, this usually takes the form of anti-Christianity, which peaked in the early 90s with the Norwegian scene and their lovely church-burning escapades. As black metal progresses, though, one has to ask oneself: why Christianity? The faith may have the distinction of being the most oppressive religion throughout history, but surely it isn't the only one, no? Where are the black metal bands decrying Judaism, or Islam, or even extreme Hinduism? Well, ponder no more, ladies and gents, because this year Iraq's Seeds Of Iblis have given us an answer to that question.

Anti Quran Rituals is exactly what the title implies: nine raw, aggressive, and relentless tracks rampaging against the religion of Islam and the historical domination of its subjects. Some tracks contain spoken word bits to enhance this effect, presumably brutal quotes from the Quran intended to portray the true ferocity of Islam ("Qamar," "Qabr," "Islamophobia"). The music has a very eastern, minor key tonality to reinforce the lyrical themes, and can sometimes get quite melodic in this aspect, like on "Qabr," and towards the end of "From Mecca To Jahannam."

Unquestionably, however, the real genius of Anti Quran Rituals lies in the production. For the most part, it's that raw and gritty sound you'd expect from black metal, and this actually goes very well with the harsh, infuriated vibe of the lyrical topics ("Behind The Horns Of Allah," "72 Virgins," "The Prophecy Of Rape"). But then, almost like a surprise birthday party, those little melodic moments creep up on you out of nowhere, and when they come in, the production's a lot cleaner, more balanced, and at some points the bass is even pleasantly audible (check out the middle of "From Mecca To Jahannam" in particular).

The beauty of Anti Quran Rituals strikes in many ways aside from the musical delivery. For starters, it satisfies the question of "where's all the Asian metal at?" as well as "where's the originality towards anti-religion in black metal?" But above all, there's a certain alluring quality in the fact that Seeds Of Iblis are Iraqi, because not only does it speak against the stereotype that all Middle Easterners are just Islamic radicals, but it's also testament to the band's courage, that they have the balls to put out a vehemently anti-Islamic album in an area of the world where doing so could result in serious repercussions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 19.06.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 58   Visited by: 425 users
20.06.2013 - 00:30
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Great album. Great review. Glad to have discovered this band. Haven't enjoyed a black metal album this much in a long while.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.06.2013 - 01:24
blackmamba
Anti islam black metal? wow these guys are brave. Christians usually don't give a damn, but Islam extremists don't f*ck around.
20.06.2013 - 02:14
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by blackmamba on 20.06.2013 at 01:24

Anti islam black metal? wow these guys are brave. Christians usually don't give a damn, but Islam extremists don't f*ck around.

yeah. having the God Hates Fags morons protesting outside a gig is far more amusing than a fatwa on your head.

will be sure to check this out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2013 - 02:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite

Indeed. I read something on the band's page on Metal-Archives earlier today saying that apparently, all pictures and names of the band members that've been released are fake. They also have received help from the French embassy and have plans to move to France in the future, where their style will surely be a lot more welcomed in the flourishing BM scene.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 02:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.06.2013 at 02:11

Didn't find every track from YouTube

I'm taking the liberty of uploading them all myself, check back by the end of the week and they should all be up if I don't get too lazy
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 05:22
wormdrink414
Elite
Pretty cool background piece on the woman behind this here. The album is sounding pretty damn cool too.
20.06.2013 - 05:48
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Damn, what a premise. And what I checked out so far sounds amazing.
20.06.2013 - 07:00
Diverge
Written by Unhealer on 20.06.2013 at 05:48

Damn, what a premise. And what I checked out so far sounds amazing.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Also, this is one of the best reviews I have seen on the site. Apothecary described the album enough to make me intrigued, and also handled the difficult subject matter of anti-religious music very sensitively and with *gasp* even a moment or two of humour. He also stressed the gravity of what they are actually doing, something that can be easily forgotten if you're listening to music at random on an mp3 player like I do.
20.06.2013 - 08:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by wormdrink414 on 20.06.2013 at 05:22

Pretty cool background piece on the woman behind this here. The album is sounding pretty damn cool too.

funny the debate sparked in the comment section. it can't be tr00. must be 'Muricans who killed her folks. blah blah blah.

can't see why people would react to a religion that is doing in the 21st Century the worst of what another major religion was doing 500 years ago.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2013 - 10:42
Sunioj
I will be sure to blast this when the mosque across from my house starts blaring.
20.06.2013 - 11:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Wow, when is this exploding in Kashmir?

Well, i gotta great stuff to tell my muslim friends about this and see on laughing meter how far they can have a great laugh about it.

Talking about fatwa, well, people just don't give a damn out here. They say it's a funny paper that brought up every now day and then and as far as taking "fatwa" is concerned, it's just meh.

I'll spin it once i get a time.
20.06.2013 - 14:47
Vendetta
Account deleted
A pointer from probably the only iraqi guy in this whole conversation...that whole thing about not giving their names because they are afraid of their government killing them is total bullshit...iraq is in chaos no one gives a FUCK! i repeat No One Gives A fuck about what u think about religion XD people are killing people for 2 dollars
as for what i think of the band...well for starters its a fresh idea, but i find anti religion bands are as cliche as the last 500 generations behind that used that topic to get their ticket to fame -.- and trust me im not a religious person...so im not ripping on them over that fact.
20.06.2013 - 14:58
lial87
Written by BitterCOld on 20.06.2013 at 02:14

yeah. having the God Hates Fags morons protesting outside a gig is far more amusing than a fatwa on your head.

will be sure to check this out.

Your ideas about Christians and Christianity are wrong. I am a Christian myself and I do 'give a dam' in regards to how certain bands and people view Christianity. I am a massive fan of a select number of Norwegian BM, more for the sound rather than the lyrical side of things. I cannot understand that at the foundations of the Holy Bible, the reader will find the message of Christ a peaceful one; "Love each other as I have loved you". I think this sums up how people should treat one another. I understand and acknowledge the fact there have been terrible atrocities commited in the name of God throughout the years but as recent history shows there are extremists in ALL faiths who take their beliefs or percieved beliefs so far out of context that it becomes outrageous. I do not hate any black metal artists as you may think most Christians do, I can appreciate their artistic endevours and the fact they appeal to people like myself who often feel disenchanted with events that occur in this world, but on a theological level I have my differences.

One more thing, I dont know if you think all Christians hate gay people. I for one certainly do not. I have personally found that homosexuals are more genuine people than most heterosexual.
20.06.2013 - 15:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Diverge on 20.06.2013 at 07:00

Also, this is one of the best reviews I have seen on the site.

Much appreciated my man, I do my best
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 15:32
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by lial87 on 20.06.2013 at 14:58

Your ideas about Christians and Christianity are wrong. I am a Christian myself and I do 'give a dam' in regards to how certain bands and people view Christianity.

I think he was more so saying that you're likely to get a more extreme reaction out of Muslims when they see anti-Islamic groups than from Christians when they see anti-Christian groups, which I'd have to agree with for the most part. As far as being unable to understand the atrocities committed under Christianity when Christ taught a peaceful message... the majority of religions begin with a benign message of love for a god and love for Earth's people, but then become violently corrupted as their followers attempt to ensure that their faith is the one true faith that everybody should be following. It's up to the people who realize the original intent and true meaning of the faith to lead as examples. Some good among the bad is better than none at all.
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 15:44
Vombatus
Potorro
Great review, absolutely agree about the production part ! Love the overall sound of it, specially the vocals (maybe the drums could be improve a bit though...)

Much respect for the band, need some real balls to spread such a message where they are.
20.06.2013 - 16:18
JD
Account deleted
Very strong titles I can't deny that, they could be killed for that, but musically talking I guess Ayat from Lebanon is still the best anti Islamic band in my opinion.
20.06.2013 - 16:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.06.2013 at 16:18

Very strong titles I can't deny that, they could be killed for that, but musically talking I guess Ayat from Lebanon is still the best anti Islamic band in my opinion.

Then again, Ayat doesn't consider itself to be anti-islamic, just anti-religious whereas Seeds Of Inlis does.
Only details though... xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.06.2013 - 16:44
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.06.2013 at 16:28

Written by Guest on 20.06.2013 at 16:18

Then again, Ayat doesn't consider itself to be anti-islamic, just anti-religious whereas Seeds Of Inlis does.
Only details though... xD

True they said that but still they are only focusing on Islam in their lyrics, plus they are the first anti Islamic band rise from the middle east and the most popular.
20.06.2013 - 18:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.06.2013 at 15:32

Written by lial87 on 20.06.2013 at 14:58

Your ideas about Christians and Christianity are wrong. I am a Christian myself and I do 'give a dam' in regards to how certain bands and people view Christianity.

I think he was more so saying that you're likely to get a more extreme reaction out of Muslims when they see anti-Islamic groups than from Christians when they see anti-Christian groups, which I'd have to agree with for the most part. As far as being unable to understand the atrocities committed under Christianity when Christ taught a peaceful message... the majority of religions begin with a benign message of love for a god and love for Earth's people, but then become violently corrupted as their followers attempt to ensure that their faith is the one true faith that everybody should be following. It's up to the people who realize the original intent and true meaning of the faith to lead as examples. Some good among the bad is better than none at all.

hit the nail on the head in regards to my specific point (picketing vs. beheading)... and atrocities are committed by pretty much any -ism, regardless as to presence of a deity.

though this discussion is moving away from the album, so let's all bring it back.
----

20.06.2013 - 18:31
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 20.06.2013 at 18:26

though this discussion is moving away from the album, so let's all bring it back.

Alrighty... I've never heard of this Ayat band JD was talking about, would you recommend them?
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 18:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.06.2013 at 18:31
Alrighty... I've never heard of this Ayat band JD was talking about, would you recommend them?

There is a review of their album here and most tracks are on youtube, I'll say "just do it!".
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.06.2013 - 18:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Wasn't targeted at you - just omnidirectional to rein it in before this got further away.

haven't heard Ayat - hadn't heard Seeds before this review!
----

20.06.2013 - 18:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 20.06.2013 at 18:42

Wasn't targeted at you - just omnidirectional to rein it in before this got further away.

I feel ya... well in that case, what would you think is the reason, if any, that more bands don't go out for something other than Christianity with the anti-religious vibe? Simply a matter of "follow the herd"?
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 19:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.06.2013 at 18:54
I feel ya... well in that case, what would you think is the reason, if any, that more bands don't go out for something other than Christianity with the anti-religious vibe? Simply a matter of "follow the herd"?

That's just one of the reasons... I'll say another reason is the fact that X religion doesn't affect the band's residence as much as Y religion... So why would they pick so much on Y religion?
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.06.2013 - 19:27
Windrider
Raureif
Very good review, definetely to check out for me... Sounds interesting and may have to potential to develop both black metal and islam.
20.06.2013 - 22:30
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.06.2013 at 19:06

Another reason is the fact that X religion doesn't affect the band's residence as much as Y religion... So why would they pick so much on Y religion?

Very trve
----

~ II. VII
20.06.2013 - 23:39
Fredd
Account deleted
Very brave :3
21.06.2013 - 03:56
JD
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 20.06.2013 at 18:31

Written by BitterCOld on 20.06.2013 at 18:26

I would recommend their full-lenght album Six Years of Dormant Hatred it's one of my all time favorite albums, raw as fuck.
21.06.2013 - 10:28
mz
I know that this is not a right place but bans like this are the worst thing that could happen for metal scene and metalheads in midle east. The review sounds promising though
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 12282 | This month: 29