Metal Storm logo
Stormwarrior

Original post

Posted by , 22.12.2006 - 05:13
Hello All

I would like to introduce one of my top favourite bands which MetalStorm has yet to add . Hailing from Hamburg, Germany and formed in 1998 is the mighty:

Stormwarrior

For those of you who thought that German Speed Metal was dead, well in terms of the wide variety of the scene, yes it is.....But it is not totally dead! For Stormwarrior's sound is reminiscent of bands like Helloween, Running Wild and a bit of early Blind Guardian. In all honesty they sound like a combination of Manowar and Helloween.....that'd be my opinion . The Metal that they play is undoubtedly TRUE and the sound quality for this genre has never been produced better!

They have so far released 2 albums (which Kai Hansen has had a hand in producing):
'StormWarrior' (2002)
'Northern Rage' (2004)

Fuck I love these guys!

The best songs for me are "Bounde By The Oath", "Signe Of The Warlorde", "Heavy Metal Fire" and their cover of "Heavy Metal (Is The Law)"

never heard them? check these out:

Music Video for their "Iron Prayers" song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ml921S2aO0

Their myspace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=67873953

and they have been in my signature for quite some time now

Enjoy MetalStormers!

03.01.2008 - 00:44
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
A New Stormwarrior album is on the way . Here's a myspace bulletin that was posted by the band:

Date: Jan 2, 2008 4:42 PM
Subject: HEADING NORTHE
Body: The new STORMWARRIOR CD "Heading Northe" will be released on February 29th.
Here the tracklist:

And The Horde Calleth For Oden - Heading Northe - Metal Legacy - The Holy Cross - Iron Gods - Ragnarök - The Revenge Of Asa Lande - Remember The Oathe - Lion Of The Northe - Into The Battle
And The Valkyries Ride

23.02.2008 - 00:03
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Wow, I forgot about the album until I came on thsi site lol. But howcome it's released already
16.08.2008 - 19:59
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I just heard their song, "Heading Northe"

I am IN LOVE
16.08.2008 - 20:13
Janne
Hugin
I just got the album, but I have too much albums and I haven't got enough time to listen to them all. You say, it's so good to listen to it first?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
18.08.2008 - 16:53
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 16.08.2008 at 20:13

I just got the album, but I have too much albums and I haven't got enough time to listen to them all. You say, it's so good to listen to it first?

yeah most of the time i preview it.
but there's full length songs from that release on youtube (sound only).
plus a live @ wacken version of the title track.
18.08.2008 - 16:59
Janne
Hugin
I listened it once and i found that it's speed power metal with viking lyrics. my fav is Ragnarök. i know i'll love it once but not now. now i must listen something different.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.10.2008 - 02:27
Gigginova
Account deleted
Wow this thread is almost 2 years old, I can remember typing it to create it!

well, days ago, this person my dad knows arrived at work (he goes to Florida weekly and we get him to buy us stuff cuz things are cheaper in the U.S. plus, they're a first world country with first world things to buy ) . I asked him to order the new StormWarrior album for me. So in a week or two it should be mine, I am so happy!
11.10.2008 - 11:04
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 11.10.2008 at 02:27

well, days ago, this person my dad knows arrived at work (he goes to Florida weekly and we get him to buy us stuff cuz things are cheaper in the U.S. plus, they're a first world country with first world things to buy ) . I asked him to order the new StormWarrior album for me. So in a week or two it should be mine, I am so happy!

So you haven't listened to the whole album, yet?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.10.2008 - 20:35
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 11.10.2008 at 11:04

Written by Guest on 11.10.2008 at 02:27

So you haven't listened to the whole album, yet?

Not really, no. But I trust them as a band, plus I've heard a few songs. The vocals sound different, but it's a great effort
19.10.2008 - 07:38
mortjoyeux

I actually really like this band, I heard them about a year ago and listened ever since. Good power/speed metal.
19.10.2008 - 20:47
Janne
Hugin
Don't you think it's rather 'speed power metal' than simply 'power metal'?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
20.10.2008 - 00:29
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 19.10.2008 at 20:47

i thought that was what she said
20.10.2008 - 05:29
mortjoyeux

Written by Guest on 20.10.2008 at 00:29

Written by Janne on 19.10.2008 at 20:47

i thought that was what she said

yeah I did hahaha
20.10.2008 - 07:08
Janne
Hugin
Yeah, but in the bands profile...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
20.10.2008 - 17:37
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 20.10.2008 at 07:08

Oh yeah, I see what you mean now. That's way off!
But I don't know if MS has a 'Speed' category though.
21.10.2008 - 21:13
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 20.10.2008 at 17:37

There are 'speed power metal' bands on MS (e.g. Dragonforce)
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.10.2008 - 22:31
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Janne on 21.10.2008 at 21:13

Written by Guest on 20.10.2008 at 17:37

There are 'speed power metal' bands on MS (e.g. Dragonforce)

Oh I know , I was just asking about ONLY 'speed" alone as a genre.
17.03.2009 - 01:22
Gigginova
Account deleted
Listening to "Deathe By The Blade" WOW! The solo parts are intense

Haven't listened to these guys in like a month or two.
17.03.2009 - 16:51
Janne
Hugin
I've just started to listen to Northern Rage, it's good stuff though the quality isn't the best.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
22.03.2009 - 10:36
mortjoyeux

AHH
I haven't played them in so long, must get on that!
30.03.2009 - 10:54
RoboMinotaur
Account deleted
No matter what stormwarrior song comes up in shuffle
it invariably ends with me jumping on a table pumping fists.
That good!
30.03.2009 - 21:21
ForeverDarkWoods

I saw them live a year ago and since then I'm a fan. Really great band with a lot of fun songs.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
19.04.2009 - 03:02
Nardy7

Couldn't these StormWarrior be considered Folk Metal? Just my opinion, though. Any thoughts?
19.04.2009 - 04:21
Lord_Regnier

Written by Nardy7 on 19.04.2009 at 03:02

Couldn't these StormWarrior be considered Folk Metal? Just my opinion, though. Any thoughts?

No. It's definitely Power/speed metal.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.04.2009 - 06:48
mortjoyeux

Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.04.2009 at 04:21

Written by Nardy7 on 19.04.2009 at 03:02

No. It's definitely Power/speed metal.

Hahaha yeah, wow. My thoughts exactly..I don't see them being anywhere close to folk AT ALL
19.04.2009 - 07:30
Lord_Regnier

I think I understand why Nardy7 asked the question, however. Because Stormwarrior has a viking imagery and talk about nordic mythology, things like that.

But, when it comes to classify a band in a genre, the most important thing is music itself, not lyrics and imagery.

For example, a band could use corpsepaint and talk about misanthropy or the unending grimness of the dark forests and the frostbitten nordic landscapes under dark clouds where holocaustwinds trap your soul in eternal permafrost, if the music this band play is Brutal Death Metal like Cannibal Corpse with the same kind of deep growls, then it's obviously Brutal DM and not Black Metal (or any other metal genre).
----
19.04.2009 - 21:07
Janne
Hugin
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.04.2009 at 07:30

I think I understand why Nardy7 asked the question, however. Because Stormwarrior has a viking imagery and talk about nordic mythology, things like that.

But, when it comes to classify a band in a genre, the most important thing is music itself, not lyrics and imagery.

For example, a band could use corpsepaint and talk about misanthropy or the unending grimness of the dark forests and the frostbitten nordic landscapes under dark clouds where holocaustwinds trap your soul in eternal permafrost, if the music this band play is Brutal Death Metal like Cannibal Corpse with the same kind of deep growls, then it's obviously Brutal DM and not Black Metal (or any other metal genre).

Totally agreed.
What about 'Viking Power metal' ? xD
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
19.04.2009 - 21:55
Lord_Regnier

Written by Janne on 19.04.2009 at 21:07

What about 'Viking Power metal' ?

That would simply mean Powermetal with lyrics about viking themes, imo.

'Viking Metal' is not a genre in itself, from my point of view. Viking refers only to lyrics, not music. You can have Folk Metal bands, Powermetal bands, melodic Death Metal bands, Black Metal bands, etc that use viking lyrics but they all belong to the genre of music they play. Most bands people label to as 'Viking Metal' are in fact Pagan Metal (kinda like Folk Metal but more metal and less folk).

Personally, I tend to avoid labelling bands simply as Pagan Metal or Folk Metal because I find these terms too vague, not precise enough. I use these terms in conjunction with terms like Death, Black, Doom, Power, only to bring more precision. I try as hard as I can to put bands under more conventional labels like Death, Black, Thrash, Power, Doom or Prog. Or crossbreeds like Death/Black, Power/Prog, etc.

Anyway, I label bands in general categories only for practical purposes but I don't like to do it, especially as there are too many categories nowadays, so much that people often debate about x band being y genre and it gets annoying sometimes.

EDIT: The term 'Viking Metal' was used originally for the album "Blood Fire Death", by Bathory. Still, it was basically Black Metal.
----
19.04.2009 - 22:30
Janne
Hugin
Written by Lord_Regnier on 19.04.2009 at 21:55

Written by Janne on 19.04.2009 at 21:07

What about 'Viking Power metal' ?

That would simply mean Powermetal with lyrics about viking themes, imo.

Yeah. And Stormwarrior simply plays power metal with viking themed lyrics, aren't they?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
19.04.2009 - 22:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by Janne on 19.04.2009 at 22:30

Yeah. And Stormwarrior simply plays power metal with viking themed lyrics, aren't they?

Power/speed metal, yes. (in an old school style very reminiscent of Helloween's "Walls Of Jericho")

They use viking themes, indeed but, personally (and it's very personal here) I would not add viking to the category because people tend to confuse viking with epic. And Stormwarrior's music is pretty much straightforward, it's not epic.
Viking doesn't equal epic, imo, because you can find many bands that are epic but don't use viking themes. For example, Summoning. It's very epic music but it has nothing to do with viking themes, it's Tolkien-related.
----