10. Captive Bolt Pistol
11. Mount Of Execution
12. Intensive Battery Brooding [limited Digipak bonus]

The Best Death Metal Album Of 2013
Top 20 albums of 2013: 18

Additional info
Produced by Colin Richardson.
Mixed by Andy Sneap.

The band recorded four additional songs during the Surgical Steel sessions that were not included on the album: "A Wraith In The Apparatus", "Intensive Battery Brooding", "Zochrot", and "Livestock Marketplace".

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
17 years have passed since the last Carcass album. In the meantime, the band suffered a lot of problems: 11 years of inactivity, health issues, changes in musical direction for most members, etc. Finally, in 2013 they are back in form with Surgical Steel. The new album is closer to Heartwork compared to the other Carcass albums, which is surely a good thing as Heartwork is one of the best and most important (melodic) death metal albums ever made.

Read more ››
published 30.03.2015 | Comments (4)

Most probably the best comeback album since 2004. Whichever Carcass album you used to like, you will find somehting for you here.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: BloodTears, ScreamingSteelUS
Bandcamp music player

Found in 74 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 4

Comments: 107   Visited by: 1769 users
05.03.2014 - 00:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 04.03.2014 at 22:39
Shame on you.

Shame on who?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.03.2014 - 08:54
NikolaFranquelli
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.03.2014 at 00:13

Written by Guest on 04.03.2014 at 22:39
Shame on you.

Shame on who?

Sometimes, my chice of words is inappropriate, and I apologize to the reviewer.

I do not agree that Surgical Steel is a hell of an album. In my oppinion, it is a very mediocre one. The album lyrics are badass, but the music is far from being good. It is much, much better than many other contemporary albums - absolutely, but it is well below their real potential.
29.03.2014 - 11:02
Rating: 7
Lumpcicle

Kinda mixed on this. Sounds more thrashy than death metal, but my main issue is the production. Much too clean for my taste.
10.04.2014 - 00:17
Rating: 8
barnesy

Very enjoyable. I've never been into Carcass so I don't have experience with anything else they've done- but I'm a fan of this album.
27.05.2014 - 21:26
Rating: 9
_deepblack

Great album pure old school death metal " mount Of Execution " is just perfect
08.01.2015 - 07:31
Butters49

Their best album, in my opinion.

But I'm not exactly a Carcass fanboy either.
This album just kicks so much ass.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
03.03.2015 - 06:12
Rating: 10
woshige

People wanting this album to be a copy of earlier Carcass album styles are missing the point entirely. Both Jeff and Bill stated that they never want to repeat themselves or become stagnant and confined in a specific genre. What you get here is them trying to appease the old school fans by giving them bits and pieces of previous albums, and for me it works amazing as a comeback thank you for all. I would not mind if Carcass continued where they left off on Swansong and explore new and creative music. Bill has returned to form in this album and with newcomers backing him, they can keep making amazing things.
29.11.2018 - 16:06
Rating: 6
Starvynth
i c deaf people
I liked old Carcass because of stuff like "Corporal Jigsore Quandary" (best drum intro in the history of metal if you ask me) and I liked newer Carcass (Heartwork-era) because of the variety and new impulses they introduced into extreme music.
So what do I like about this release? Easy answer: almost nothing. I think it's kinda bland and the only song I really enjoy is "Mount Of Execution" which is neither typically (old) Carcass nor very innovative either.
----
signatures = SPAM
30.06.2020 - 16:28
sgtrobo

Absolutely love this album. Ripper from start to finish. Arguably their best. I judge this independently of their previous releases and judge it for what it is, a hard hitting melodeath album, and that is where it succeeds
22.10.2020 - 21:24
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
I actually liked this one way more than I thought, it's quite a straightforward one but it works out perfectly, might as well be my favorite from them for the moment
23.10.2020 - 05:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Starvynth on 29.11.2018 at 16:06

(best drum intro in the history of metal if you ask me)

Overkill by Motorhead wins this contest.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.10.2020 - 19:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.10.2020 at 05:37

Yeah, Overkill is a good one too, I'll give you that.
But the big difference is that you can have sex to the drumbeat of Corporal Jigsore Quandary whereas to Overkill you can only... well...uhhm... beat your own meat.
As always, it comes down to a matter of personal preference.
----
signatures = SPAM
25.10.2020 - 09:13
nikarg

Written by Starvynth on 24.10.2020 at 19:51

Yeah, Overkill is a good one too, I'll give you that.
But the big difference is that you can have sex to the drumbeat of Corporal Jigsore Quandary whereas to Overkill you can only... well...uhhm... beat your own meat.
As always, it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

You must be my brother from another mother.
14.05.2021 - 18:49
Mehrad

Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.10.2020 at 05:37

Written by Starvynth on 29.11.2018 at 16:06

(best drum intro in the history of metal if you ask me)

Painkiller ? anyone ?
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
14.05.2021 - 18:50
Mehrad

The closer is amazing
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
22.04.2022 - 20:35
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
It sounds more like a continuation of Heartwork than anything else, but slightly lacking in consistency, the guitarwork overall is great, some of the riffs are great, but most of the riff work is too generic, some of the solo's are impressive, but the drumming wasn't as impressive as previous albums.

"The Granulating Dark Satanic Mills", "Unfit for Human Consumption", and "Mount of Execution" are the standouts here for me, those three songs are fantastic, the rest of the album is ok, but nothing special.
28.03.2023 - 22:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Thrasher’s Abattoir came on after finishing another album, reminded me how much I enjoy melodic Carcass and how awesome this album cover is.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 39214 | This month: 58