Metal Storm logo
Martial music

30.06.2013 - 22:35
vgmaster9

For those who don't know what it is, Martial music (or military pop), combines neoclassical neofolk with industrial and dark ambient, and uses marches along with their sound. Has anybody else listened to it? Here are a couple songs.

02.07.2013 - 15:13
Sophist

I don't know whether it fits the genre, but I've listened to Von Thronstahl and Triarii and you can find some martial elements in some songs. Personally, minus the political views of the artists it's some fine music.

05.06.2014 - 15:04
Ilham
Giant robot
I can't believe I haven't posted anything here yet. First step, I'll redirect you to this review, and thread, in which a couple of good bands have been mentioned : http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=5745

But if you're too lazy to go see the topic, here is a copy/paste of another post of mine on the same topic.

My three favourite bands that fall more or less into this category are TRIARII, Dernière Volonté, and Arditi. The latter being a lot more ambient, martial, and less neofolk, but still. Dernière Volonté is hella cheesy now, but I love it. Speaking french is a huge plus if you want to have the full DV experience. The lyrics are nice. Oh and the singer is kinda sexy, saw him live, he dances too much though. Too bad he's gay. The drummer is not too bad either.

Albums I'd recommend :
Dernière Volonté - Les Promesses De L'Ombre - very catchy tunes, very folky.
TRIARII - Pièce Héroïque (most of their titles are written in bad French, but there's actually very little French in the tracks themselves).
Arditi - Standards Of Triumph - martial music goosebumps guaranteed with this one.

I was fascinated by all the... the things around these bands. I don't want to use words that might be misinterpreted. You know. Triarii calls that "military art". But I don't share most of their political views though. I want to be clear on that.

Von Thronstahl is too noisy for my taste. And might go a bit too far into the nationalist/fascist theme.

Unfortunately, as much as I like some albums that fall into this category, I think it's a genre that tends to repeat itself. The new bands integrate influences from a very wide spectre of music. And it's great. But Neofolk gets lost in all those new vibes, and I think it's slowly dying. But that might be because I don't hang around with as many NeoFolk listeners as I used to, and therefore I am much less in touch with the "scene".