Metal Storm logo
Best 70s Judas Priest album

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 23.12.2006 - 00:12
i came up with this question after listening a lot to 70s priest and i discovered that all(except for rocka rolla, which i haven't listened to) are quite brilliant! i didn't include unleashed in the east obviously cuz it's a live album.
a short 2 cents on each of the albums:
-rocka rolla: haven't listened to it.
-sad wings: now here's a lil bit of real metal. kind of depressive album, lyricswise, but the music will get you over, since tyrant, genocide, the ripper, victim of changes are headbanging delights and then there's dreamer deceiver/deceiver which is a really good moody song. 9/10
-sin after sin: slightly heavier than sad wings, with the thrashy intro to diamonds and rust, and what i believe to be the first thrash metal song, dissident agressor. sinner also deserves mentioning, and the two good ballads: here come the tears and last rose of summer. 9/10
-stained class: heavier still but less consistent, we get a sample of what would become iron maiden in the title track, and the album intro of exciter is a moment of pure thrashiness, and we have beyond the realms of death, saints in hell as stand-outs. 8/10
-killing machine(hell bent for leather): not heavier than stained class but still a good metal release. not too consistent, with rock forever, hell bent, killing machine, running wild and evil fantasies as the good songs. 8/10.
so for me it's a tie between sad wings and sin after sin, and i choose sad wings, because of the "ahead of it's day" factor.
and you?

Poll

Which is the best of the 70s priest releases?

sad wings of destiny
stained class
killing machine(hell bent for leather)
sin after sin
rocka rolla
can't decide

Total votes: 134
26.09.2018 - 11:49
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Stained Class personally mainly bc Beyond the Realms of Death. But i can agree that Sad Wings is their most decisive album.
05.11.2022 - 20:50
Joppe
Steelemeister
Pretty easily Sad Wings of Destiny, to me. What an improvement from the debut !
----
My vision is augmented
05.11.2022 - 23:02
Redel
A tie for Sad Wings and Stained Class