Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Drummer Leaves

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: "However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures"

Roadrunner will issue a special edition deluxe version of "Ghost reveries" on the 25 th of July.

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 13.05.2006 by Metalforthespirit

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 15   Visited by: 9 users
20.05.2006 - 01:44
kakalokola

too bad !
20.05.2006 - 02:14
Rag-Doll
Account deleted
Best of luck to Martin Lopez with his band.
Sad that he had to leave.. he's really talented! I'm pretty sure Axe will do good.
20.05.2006 - 04:09
Megadeth88

Written by Guest on 20.05.2006 at 02:14

Best of luck to Martin Lopez with his band.
Sad that he had to leave.. he's really talented! I'm pretty sure Axe will do good.

Yeah, I agree with you.
20.05.2006 - 04:54
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I find it rather funny that some people got all upset of this. Martin Lopez was nothing special. He was an average drummer is an above average Metal band. He never really contributed anything to the band. He pretty much kept time and added a few humor elements to their live shows. The fact is he is a good drummer, but nothing to get upset over. I do hope he finds another project and continues to do well, but I won't shed any tears over it.
----
(space for rent)
20.05.2006 - 05:00
Avenant
Profane Seraph
I suppose I saw it coming... it's sad, really... my favorite band
Still, it happens and life goes on. Good luck to Martin Lopez, Good luck to Opeth!
20.05.2006 - 12:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
nothing new i can had to what has been said. members come and go but the band stands firm with it's legacy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.05.2006 - 15:56
Muskot
Account deleted
Yes, I really don't think a new drummer will contribute very much to the music itself but Lopez played with Opeth for ten years. That should definitely leave a trail both in fans and in the band.
Who knows, he might even get a tribute song on their next studio album. =)
26.05.2006 - 16:12
Ayr
Account deleted
Not that anyone was shocked with this, what do you expect if a member can't go on tour with the band for more than a year. Love Lopez, but respect for Mr Axe, as it's not very rewarding to play somebody's else drumparts. He passed the test.
28.05.2006 - 11:11
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
All the best, but i don't understand what the article said: anxiety attacks? Was he nervous? He shouldn't have been with many years of touring under his belt. Perhaps the stress of life on the road was getting to him. And I really hate when you buy an album and then they release a deluxe edition a few months later
29.05.2006 - 19:55
LethargyMan

Written by Dane Train on 20.05.2006 at 04:54

I find it rather funny that some people got all upset of this. Martin Lopez was nothing special. He was an average drummer is an above average Metal band. He never really contributed anything to the band. He pretty much kept time and added a few humor elements to their live shows. The fact is he is a good drummer, but nothing to get upset over. I do hope he finds another project and continues to do well, but I won't shed any tears over it.

I completely agree with this. Anyway, Opeth's music never really made the percussion even somewhat prominent to begin with.

It's still sad to see him leave though, since he did fit the band quite well, and I wish him good luck... but I'm certain some of us will "get over it" when his replacement appears.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
30.05.2006 - 11:42
Ayr
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.05.2006 at 11:11

All the best, but i don't understand what the article said: anxiety attacks?

As far as I know, he's got some form of blood diease.
01.06.2006 - 16:01
Detric
King Of Twilight
I think all Opeth fans are gonna miss Lopez, he is such a great drummer. I hope he will return some time, I dont really like Axe.
05.06.2006 - 20:25
Firewalker

Good luck to Martin, I hope he recover soon, in fact I´m Martin López fan more than the other drumm player and members in the band, but Opeth will continue being one of my favourite bands, I hope Axe make the best he can do and the band continue making the best music¡¡¡¡:dcool:
09.01.2007 - 23:59
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
i hope axe can replace the excellent work of Lopez
----
Stay Metal !!!
13.01.2007 - 20:16
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I know he left a long while ago, nut for some reason I never posted in here so i'm going to now. I really wasn't at all happy about lopez leaving. He added a lot to the band's style and he is one of the most talented drummers I have ever heard. Every album he played on was amazing and he could play excellent fast (April Ethereal) or slow (Benighted) when required. He will be missed by many fans, but it's time for the band to move on. 'Axe' is a very able drummer himself and i'm sure he won't have that much trouble filling Lopez's shoes for the time being.

Hits total: 5399 | This month: 4