Metal Storm logo
Ne Obliviscaris - Song Studied At Sydney Conservatorium Of Music

Australian metallers Ne Obliviscaris have seen their song "And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope" from their debut album Portal Of I included in a teaching curriculum at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, one of Australia's most prestigious classical Conservatories. The song will undergo a compositional analysis by Professor Matthew Hindson, Chair of Composition at the Conservatorium. "And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope" will be studied as part of the curriculum.

Matthew Hindson is a renowned classical composer whose works have been performed by ensembles and orchestras throughout the world.

Professor Hindson commented: "I will be presenting 'And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope' to the composition students at the Conservatorium next semester as an exemplar in structure, mixing timbres, meters, modes, how to approach virtuosity, sound and noise, extended performance and techniques. The students will need to study 2 technical aspects of what Ne Obliviscaris have done in their music, and then use these techniques in their own classical music compositions."

The Professor continues: "It is my pleasure to introduce such high quality music making to our students, alongside other music by composers including Beethoven, Gershwin, Steve Reich and Peter Sculthorpe. Musicians deserve to hear the music of Ne Obliviscaris, and the music of many other metal bands, in order to appreciate the compositional complexity that lies within it, no matter what their musical tastes."

The band posted this message on their Facebook: "In what is possibly the biggest compliment of our career so far, our song 'And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope' is being studied and analysed by composition students at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music alongside composers such as Beethoven & Gershwin! Seriously! Totally blown away..."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Ne Obliviscaris
Posted: 04.07.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 57   Visited by: 341 users
04.07.2013 - 13:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
That's great! Congrats to the band for the recognition!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
04.07.2013 - 14:13
Zap
Well, they do deserve it.
04.07.2013 - 15:37
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
They deserve that, they are really talented!
04.07.2013 - 15:50
whatsacow

I really want to hear the students freak out when the electric guitar and vocals start up. First 2 minutes are like classical violin with acoustic guitar, and then BAM black metal.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.07.2013 - 16:17
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Awesome! I think it's the best compliment ever a metal band received.
----
04.07.2013 - 17:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quite an honour. Shame it went on such a lame band, but good on them.
04.07.2013 - 17:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by whatsacow on 04.07.2013 at 15:50

I really want to hear the students freak out when the electric guitar and vocals start up. First 2 minutes are like classical violin with acoustic guitar, and then BAM black metal.

Yeah, I believe they'll be studying only the first two minutes of the song... I don't see the rest being fruitful for classical music theory.
04.07.2013 - 17:25
CWA

I wish more professors were as cool as Matthew Hindson seems to be.
04.07.2013 - 17:27
ghosthead

Written by Unhealer on 04.07.2013 at 17:03

Yeah, I believe they'll be studying only the first two minutes of the song... I don't see the rest being fruitful for classical music theory.

Makes sense, the classical violin intro is pretty decent technically, but there's nothing good or worthy of study in the rest of song, it's pretty mediocre stuff anyway.
04.07.2013 - 17:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
High praise for sure.
----
rekt
04.07.2013 - 18:24
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
If there is a band who really deserves this, it's Ne Obliviscaris. So complex and diverse!

Actually, I think they will study the whole piece, just read what Professor Hindson wrote about it
04.07.2013 - 18:40
LICH

Well played !!
04.07.2013 - 18:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Fallen Ghost on 04.07.2013 at 18:24

Actually, I think they will study the whole piece, just read what Professor Hindson wrote about it

I read it, I just don't see how the rest of the song has anything to do with classical composition. It's pretty usual prog metal with some virtuosity and interesting things going on, but more apt for a "Prog Metal 101" than for a classical music oriented conservatory.
That's based on my vague musical knowledge anyway, maybe the opinion of someone like Susan can clarify things up
04.07.2013 - 19:04
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Unhealer on 04.07.2013 at 18:42

I read it, I just don't see how the rest of the song has anything to do with classical composition. It's pretty usual prog metal with some virtuosity and interesting things going on, but more apt for a "Prog Metal 101" than for a classical music oriented conservatory.

Out-of-the-box thinking from Mr. Hindson, music is universal and not limited by artificial classification Classical music composers can definitely learn from modern metal music as both can be quite complex.
04.07.2013 - 19:04
Vombatus
Potorro
Sounds more like novelty thing than anything else... also the band ain't special in their genre, being Australian might explain why they were picked...

Also, I don't know anything about music theory but I have a few friends that study at conservatories, and most of them are familiar with metal and other random genres and study stuff that ain't classical. Hell, one of them is a noise/experimental fan
04.07.2013 - 19:05
OpenMind

Really nice they deserve it, how about 2nd album any news about it?
04.07.2013 - 19:14
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Risto on 04.07.2013 at 19:04

Out-of-the-box thinking from Mr. Hindson, music is universal and not limited by artificial classification Classical music composers can definitely learn from modern metal music as both can be quite complex.

Yep, I completely agree with that line of thinking and I respect Mr. Hindson for this. I just fail to hear what can these students learn from 9 out of 11 minutes of this specific song by this specific band, not against the concept itself at all.
04.07.2013 - 21:41
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Guest on 04.07.2013 at 17:01

It's starting to become really annoying and frustating to see almost every single news about well known bands on this website with harsh, negative comments such as this one, most of them coming from the same people over and over again. It gives a really bad impression of MetalStorm, every good release here seems to have more hate comments than appreciation ones lately. That's not what I saw here when I registered almost 9 years ago, and that's not the type of community I feel like contributing anymore, after putting so much effort for free and pure pleasure in completing this websites' data whenever I can.

I do respect opinions, but I don't see the point in talking down on almost everything and everyone's music all the time. It seems like the metal community has turned into a "hate-this-hate-that", with pseudo-intelectual analysis that help anyone. That is all, I'm not further replying.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
04.07.2013 - 22:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dark Forever on 04.07.2013 at 21:41

It's starting to become really annoying and frustating to see almost every single news about well known bands on this website with harsh, negative comments such as this one, most of them coming from the same people over and over again. It gives a really bad impression of MetalStorm, every good release here seems to have more hate comments than appreciation ones lately. That's not what I saw here when I registered almost 9 years ago, and that's not the type of community I feel like contributing anymore, after putting so much effort for free and pure pleasure in completing this websites' data whenever I can.

I do respect opinions, but I don't see the point in talking down on almost everything and everyone's music all the time. It seems like the metal community has turned into a "hate-this-hate-that", with pseudo-intelectual analysis that help anyone. That is all, I'm not further replying.

I see, what, two users here that aren't gleefully positive on this thread? I think this site is far from what you're making it out to be, rather I think you have some kind of tunnel vision where you're only noticing the not-so-chipper comments.

Also, a bit of perspective here:

Written by Dark Forever on 05.06.2013 at 18:03

Am I the only one who finds this utterly boring?

Written by Dark Forever on 04.06.2013 at 16:14

I understand people have differente tastes, but seriously, anyone who rated this over 8 must be really high

Written by Dark Forever on 13.05.2013 at 21:59

Children Of Boredom.

Written by Dark Forever on 08.03.2013 at 02:39

I found this album pretty boring indeed. Songs like Made In Belfast sound like they were composed by a mediocre Saxon-wannabe band and not by Saxon themselves. Overall all the songs have unnecessary, uninspired parts. The only thing I liked was the title track and, of course, Biff's amazing voice.

Written by Dark Forever on 19.11.2012 at 17:09

Finally someone said it. I was getting tired of people praising this album like a masterpiece. Yes, it's very good, but it's also very safe and it lacks magic moments.

Written by Dark Forever on 15.11.2012 at 18:49

I don't see the connection between Skálmöld and Wintersun. Also, this album is pretty average, some good moments in it but overall it sounds rather uninspired.

These are from your last page of comments, and going back further I see this trend continues. In fact, most of your older comments seem to revolve around you complaining to people about how they score albums. Generally pretty negative it seems though, so you might want to watch that pot, as it just called the kettle black. The racist bastard.
04.07.2013 - 22:59
VforIAmAVagina

A word of truth, after all !!!!
05.07.2013 - 01:05
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Unhealer on 04.07.2013 at 18:42

Written by Fallen Ghost on 04.07.2013 at 18:24

That's based on my vague musical knowledge anyway, maybe the opinion of someone like Susan can clarify things up

They could learn the diversity and complexity this song have. It's not classical music but they could transform techniques and get an idea on how one can compose a song, or something like that!

Seriously? In my ears, it's truly a great masterpiece
05.07.2013 - 01:50
NeverAgain

I'd like to second this and also commend Dark Forever for not rising up to the frankly infantile reply that was posted afterward. I agree that discussing this issue is redundant, so I will also not comment on this any further.

With regards to Ne Obliviscaris, this is a great honour for the band and also a wonderful achievement that gives further credit to the music we love. Not that we need it, but it's certainly nice to have.
05.07.2013 - 02:19
Enissa

One of their best songs, Good on them
05.07.2013 - 02:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
He probably didn't reply because he realised I caught him out as a hypocrite and didn't want to admit it. He conveniently absolved himself of further comment at the end of his whinge by removing himself from the conversation, precisely what you, NeverAgain, have done. That's the very definition of puerile. Be a man and back up your statements, rather than lashing out like a child that didn't get its way and then stomping off out the room in a huff.
05.07.2013 - 04:11
whatsacow

Written by ghosthead on 04.07.2013 at 17:27

Makes sense, the classical violin intro is pretty decent technically, but there's nothing good or worthy of study in the rest of song, it's pretty mediocre stuff anyway.

A) it isn't a classical music class, the teacher studied in classical music, and B) he's trying to diversify the student's listening experiences so I believe he will show the whole thing. Also, you're an idiot. You can say it isn't for you, but the song is complex, beautiful, and quite an achievement in extreme progressive metal. It actually sounds unique, which is rare these days.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
05.07.2013 - 09:39
Italics

Go listen to more of your bands that only you and 10 other people have ever heard of
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
05.07.2013 - 10:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Italics on 05.07.2013 at 09:39

Go listen to more of your bands that only you and 10 other people have ever heard of

So many oversensitive people. I make a comment about a band, people get personally offended. I've never understood how that's possible. Stop being a victim.

I also had a look through your recent comments and you're just as negative about albums as anyone else here (in fact almost all your comments on that page are negative). This entire page is full of whining hypocrites who want to eat their cake and have it
05.07.2013 - 20:43
Diverge

Written by Guest on 05.07.2013 at 10:37

So many oversensitive people. I make a comment about a band, people get personally offended. I've never understood how that's possible. Stop being a victim.

I also had a look through your recent comments and you're just as negative about albums as anyone else here (in fact almost all your comments on that page are negative). This entire page is full of whining hypocrites who want to eat their cake and have it

Hey man,
I just wanted to say that even though we've had our fair share of differences, there is no doubt in my mind that your insightful comments and your remarkable knowledge about metal subgenres and bands has helped me a lot in developing my thoughts about this music/refining my taste. You are very good at bringing an opposing idea to the table and correcting/moderating an opinion that may or may not have been substantiated. At some points I feel intimidated by your talent in that regard, but it's all just a part of being on an online forum.
I understand why people attack you--some would argue that your comment about Ne Obliviscaris being lame didn't really contribute much to this discussion thread (although I'm sure they'd be able to find your comments on that band elsewhere fully supporting this opinion if they weren't so lazy). Negativity is great in a discussion based setting, but negative comments that aren't really designed to elicit conversation tend to be received poorly. I'm not going to pin this on you alone-- this is clearly something that the entire Metal Storm community needs to work on. Cheers, bud.
05.07.2013 - 21:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Diverge on 05.07.2013 at 20:43

Hey man,
I just wanted to say that even though we've had our fair share of differences, there is no doubt in my mind that your insightful comments and your remarkable knowledge about metal subgenres and bands has helped me a lot in developing my thoughts about this music/refining my taste. You are very good at bringing an opposing idea to the table and correcting/moderating an opinion that may or may not have been substantiated. At some points I feel intimidated by your talent in that regard, but it's all just a part of being on an online forum.
I understand why people attack you--some would argue that your comment about Ne Obliviscaris being lame didn't really contribute much to this discussion thread (although I'm sure they'd be able to find your comments on that band elsewhere fully supporting this opinion if they weren't so lazy). Negativity is great in a discussion based setting, but negative comments that aren't really designed to elicit conversation tend to be received poorly. I'm not going to pin this on you alone-- this is clearly something that the entire Metal Storm community needs to work on. Cheers, bud.

I certainly agree that my comment was throwaway and of not much use, that tends to be a habit with news articles, but it's the throwaway nature of it and the fact it caused such a reaction that I find amusing. The common argument that is thrown at me is that I, and a few others, are constantly complaining about certain albums. Albums which are well received and popular. For some reason it becomes taboo to pass comment on an album or band when it reaches over a certain amount of positive votes. Funny though that it's perfectly fine for half the community to attack en masse the knee-jerk reactionary hate nu / metalcore bands. It's all pretty moot anyway because, as much as people may protest, I don't believe that it's anything to do with me or anyone else being generally negative on metalstorm. Rather I think it's that simply people can't handle seeing not-so-positive remarks about albums they love. It's ultimately a personal thing trying to be passed off as a community thing. I think this is an obvious fact that is clear to everyone.

I moan about a band, MS members moan about me. Rise, repeat. I make a habit not to attack individual members (unless in jest or provoked first), only the music, and that's what I'll certainly continue to do. It's easy to be made to look like you're being a dick when you're one of few people saying something. Even though that kind of behaviour is carried out by everyone on this site.

But anyway, cheers for being the first reasonable person to quote me on this thread
05.07.2013 - 22:23
VforIAmAVagina

I bet They can not even reach "Ten".

Hits total: 22963 | This month: 65