Metal Storm logo
Choice Albums Of Atmospheric Metal

My choices of albums with strong forms of atmospheric sound in metal. Recommendations are welcome, though I won't add all as this will be towards personal taste.

Created by: CyberSymphony | 15.07.2013

1. A Forest Of Stars - A Shadowplay For Yesterdays
2012 - Psychedelic/Avant-Garde Black - Imagine yourself strolling on cobbled streets in the haze of Victorian London wearing your finest top-hat and waistcoat.
2. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
2006 - Neofolk/Black - Take a deep stroll through a snowy woodland until you are surrounded by a blizzard, trapping you in perishing suffocation.
3. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
2006 - Funeral Doom - Crushing funeral doom that glides you across violent oceans on the back of a whale.
4. Akelei - De Zwaarte Van Het Doorstane
2010 - Doom - The drips of watercolours paint the landscape with sorrow and abhorrence.
5. Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
2007 - Shoegaze/Black - Your looking up, gazing at the sky... counting every star.
6. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
2010 - Progressive Rock - We're Here... not standing in darkness... but in beautiful warm sunlight...
7. Aquilus - Griseus
2011 - Neoclassical/Black - Enter into a world of majestic neoclassical music and elegant folk passages through the harshness of black metal.
8. Astronoid - Air
2016 - Post/Shoegaze - It feels like your floating through a sea of white clouds.
9. Atoma - Skylight
2012 - Post-Rock/Metal - Leave the Earth forever and taking with you the sounds of the apocalypse below.
10. Avrigus - The Secret Kingdom
2001 - Gothic - Follow through endless tunnels of ghostly ambient tones and haunting female vocals until you reach the secret kingdom.
11. Bann - Æschatologia
2009 - Neoclassical/Black - An ethereal and sorrowful violin strikes the sentiments of your heart strings.
12. Betray-Ed - An Everlasting Drift
2009 - France - Folk Metal/Ambient - A drift of emotions of dreamlike ambiances, gothic passages, dreamy metal soundscapes into a journey.
13. Caladan Brood - Echoes Of Battle
2013 - Epic/Black - Taken from a high fantasy book series, this album will have you riding your horse into an epic battle.
14. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
2003 - Black/Industrial - A ravaging and grotesque display that transforms you into the destructive being you desired to be.
15. Cold Insight - Further Nowhere
2013 - Sweden - Melodic Doom Metal - One part of the band Enshine and from Fractal Gates. Abundant with breezy atmospheres and death/doom metal.
16. Crown Of Autumn - The Treasures Arcane
1997 - Melodic Death/Black - Immerse yourself in its medieval bearings and be in the presence of Elves.
17. Cult Of Luna - Vertikal
2013 - Post/Sludge - Stuck inside a heavily, claustrophobic city of industrial destruction and mechanical towers.
18. Darkspace - Dark Space III
2008 - Ambient Black - A space odyssey through the darkest aspects of outer space.
19. Devin Townsend - Terria
2001 - Progressive - Terria is an adventurous expedition into a concealed utopia.
20. Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
2004 - Black - Red leaves fall from the trees and singing birds fly away under a sky of an autumn sunset.
21. Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
2008 - Doom - Sitting on the porch of a house in some southwest shantytown.
22. Ellende - Ellende
2013 - Austria - Ambient Black Metal - The beauty of nature, the solitary isolation and the unexplored wilderness all presented into one album.
23. Empyrium - A Wintersunset...
1996 - Folk Doom - Emotional, operatic male vocals and beautiful flutes are never-ending in melancholy.
24. Enshine - Origin
2013 - Melodic Doom - Origin is the starting point on a flight to universal freedom.
25. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
2008 - Ambient/Funeral Doom - All those soulless mechanical elements fit together into a display of devastating agony.
26. Falloch - Where Distant Spirits Remain
2011 - Post/Metal/Folk - This album drifts you through the hazy moors of Scotland.
27. Fen - The Malediction Fields
2009 - Post-Metal/Black - Murky Fields scattered with weeds and swampy marshes sink you deeper and deeper.
28. Forest Silence - Philosophy Of Winter
2006 - Dark Ambient/Black - The most freezing coldness of winter, frozen into one album.
29. Forest Stream - Tears Of Mortal Solitude
2003 - Black/Doom - Under the wings of a black swan, tears run down you face, you'll find your only friend...
30. Garden Of Shadows - Oracle Moon
2000 - Progressive/Melodic Death - An Odyssey through astronomical landscapes whether they be real or not.
31. God Is An Astronaut - All Is Violent, All Is Bright
2005 - Post-Rock/Metal - Who needs vocals when you can consume the intense sound of this album.
32. In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad
2012 - Progressive - Soul-inducing sounds in the silence of a fair dream.
33. In The Woods... - Omnio
1997 - Avant-Garde - An ominous journey through extraordinary lands.
34. Isis - Oceanic
2002 - Post/Metal - Scientific ambient waves among all the distortion and energy.
35. Ixion - To The Void
2011 - Doom - Black holes slowly consume you into the void that Melt stars and evaporate moons.
36. Kauan - Lumikuuro
2007 - Folk Doom - The natural landscapes of Finland incorporated into a breathless mystical sound.
37. Leaves' Eyes - Lovelorn
2004 - Symphonic - Romantic stories by warm fires where angelic female vocals take you to a picturesque world.
38. Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
2010 - Shoegaze/Black - Just like Alcest, you can stargaze past those empty clouds to reveal a billion stars.
39. Light Field Reverie - Another World
2020 - Gothic/Doom - An ethereal step into bright lights and dreamscapes.
40. Lurker Of Chalice - Lurker Of Chalice
2005 - Ambient/Black - Blood-thirsty wolves follow the trails of your great wounds.
41. My Threnody - An Angel And The Eternal Silence
2002 - Brazil - Neoclassical/Gothic Doom - A one-man band playing very melancholic form of symphonic metal with elements of dark neoclassical music and atmospheric doom.
42. Nasheim - Solens Vemod
2014 - Ambient/Black - Black wings cover the sun with its cold, ravaging feathers.
43. Negură Bunget - OM
2006 - Folk/Black - Mediate under a mysterious aura of demonic souls and pagan voices.
44. Officium Triste - Reason
2004 - Death/Doom - Overwhelming grief finds you and never letting you go in your comforting solitude.
45. Ophelia - Sympathize With Your Phantasy
2010 - Neoclassical/Gothic - A discovery of vibrant colours of beautiful green meadows, white clouds and blue skies.
46. Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
2009 - Psychedelic/Ambient Black - A voyage through the mind and senses of an astronaut.
47. Öröm - 8
2006 - Hungary - Dark Ambient/Doom Metal - Another nature inspired album, grey and despairing. Despite the word 'Öröm' meaning Joy in Hungarian.
48. Overdream - Navigator
2006 - Symphonic - Fall asleep and dream of a world of a thousand moons and stars.
49. Progenie Terrestre Pura - U​.​M​.​A.
2013 - Industrial/Ambient Black - Futuristic sounds echo among ultra-modern cities inhabited by the Unknown.
50. Saor - Aura
2014 - Black/Folk - Roaming the ghostly valleys of the Celtic Highlands through the eyes of mother nature.
51. Saturnus - Paradise Belongs To You
1996 - Melodic Doom - The sound of chirping birds greeting you above a decaying carcass, telling you its paradise.
52. Seas of Years - Drifting Ever Shifting
2014 - Sweden - Post-Rock - The guitarist responsible for the music of Slumber, AtomA and Enshine, this his post-rock project.
53. Shape Of Despair - Angels Of Distress
2001 - Funeral Doom - Wailing and distressing album that will haunt you forever... and ever.
54. Slumber - Fallout
2004 - Melodic Doom - The harshness of survival in this wasteland accompanies you with the sound of eerie choirs.
55. Sólstafir - Ótta
2014 - Black/Post - This album captures the bleak lands of Iceland and drifts you out to the sea.
56. Sun Of The Blind - Skullreader
2009 - Ambient Black - Bone-breaking sounds layered upon drowning ambiance.
57. Summoning - Stronghold
1999 - Epic/Black - Enter the sounds of Tolkien's Middle-Earth through ancient walls of citadels.
58. Sylvaine - Nova
2022 - Shoegaze/Post - If Alcest had a female vocalist this is what it would sound like.
59. Terra Tenebrosa - The Tunnels
2011 - Avant-Garde/Post-Metal - An unsettling view of walking through a pitch-black cave and not coming out the other side.
60. The 3rd And The Mortal - Tears Laid In Earth
1994 - Doom - Beautiful female vocals enchant you as much as the music does.
61. The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
2007 - Ambient Drone/Doom - A deeply destructive album that crushes you like the Hand of Midas.
62. The Gathering - Mandylion
1995 - Progressive - Gripping female vocals, progressive tones and tribal atmospheres.
63. The Ocean - Pelagial
2013 - Progressive/Sludge - You sink slowly but surely to the ocean floor.
64. Thurisaz - Scent Of A Dream
2004 - Black/Death - There's plenty to dream about when you breathe the scent of a dream.
65. Tiamat - Wildhoney
1994 - Gothic - Hallucinations in your head, delusional images tormenting you.
66. Vordven - Towards The Frozen Stream
1999 - Black - Mystical lanterns light the way under the Aurora Borealis.
67. Widek - Outside The Universe
2014 - Poland - Progressive/Post-Rock - Been looking for a band in similar to the amazing atmospheres of AtomA, found this.
68. Wodensthrone - Loss
2009 - Folk/Black - Explore ancient and heathen temples surrounded by the splendour of pine trees.
69. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
2007 - Black - These wolves devour you like the bark from a tree.
70. Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
2001 - Black - Gut-wrenching music that freezes your heart solid, all hope is forever lost...

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by CyberSymphony ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 30   Visited by: 419 users
15.07.2013 - 21:38
Erik M.

This might very well be your best list to date! Awesome list man.
15.07.2013 - 21:40
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 15.07.2013 at 21:38

This might very well be your best list to date! Awesome list man.

Cheers , writing a small text for each band to make it more personal. If you find any bands with a strong atmospheric sound please do comment again.
15.07.2013 - 22:08
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 15.07.2013 at 21:40

Cheers , writing a small text for each band for make it more personal. If you find any band with a strong atmospheric sound please do comment again.

Okay, here are a few suggestions:
- Akelei - De Zwaarte van het Doorstane (atmospheric doom)
- Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle (epic atmospheric black, like Summoning)
- Evereve - Seasons or Stormbirds (atmospheric gothic)
- Ixion - To the Void (atmospheric doom)
- Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You (atmospheric (melodic) death doom)
- Yearning - Evershade (atmospheric doom)

Out of those, Akelei and Ixion are extremely atmospheric, but the others would qualify too, I think.
16.07.2013 - 01:15
TrollandDie

Thank you very much for this.

This has supplied me with a large arsenal for vacation.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
16.07.2013 - 22:55
mz

My obvious recommendation: lurker of chalice
also, esoteric, desire- katatonia-process of guilt-mournful congregation. Also, some good prog albums will fit here IMO, try green carnation.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
17.07.2013 - 21:14
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by mz on 16.07.2013 at 22:55

also, esoteric, desire- katatonia-process of guilt-mournful congregation. Also, some good prog albums will fit here IMO, try green carnation.

Already added Green Carnation, not sure about the others yet. I've listened to esoteric and it is very atmospheric so might add that. Mixed feelings about Katatonia despite being having a heavily depressive atmosphere.
17.07.2013 - 22:05
Erik M.

Written by mz on 16.07.2013 at 22:55

Those albums don't really fit this list if you ask me. Lurker of Chalice and Esoteric aren't bands who create beautiful, dreamy music, but rather depressive and crushing music. And there's already a list for those kind of albums on MS. Not my call though.
17.07.2013 - 22:22
mz

Written by Erik M. on 17.07.2013 at 22:05

Those albums don't really fit this list if you ask me. Lurker of Chalice and Esoteric aren't bands who create beautiful, dreamy music, but rather depressive and crushing music. And there's already a list for those kind of albums on MS. Not my call though.

I did recommend those bands because I like them for their "not so beautiful" atmosphere. I know that this list is meant to be on "personal choices of breathtaking, dreamy and desolate atmospheres of metal" but I do not think that darkspace of ahab create beautiful or dreamy atmosphere. Seriously, that ahab album is one of the most crushing things I've ever listened to
----
18.07.2013 - 16:27
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by mz on 17.07.2013 at 22:22

Written by Erik M. on 17.07.2013 at 22:05

I did recommend those bands because I like them for their "not so beautiful" atmosphere. I know that this list is meant to be on "personal choices of breathtaking, dreamy and desolate atmospheres of metal" but I do not think that darkspace of ahab create beautiful or dreamy atmosphere. Seriously, that ahab album is one of the most crushing things I've ever listened to

I think I should re-edit that part, as I liked the bands you recommended. All have strong atmospheric content which definitely fits my taste.
18.07.2013 - 18:15
mz

Written by CyberSymphony on 18.07.2013 at 16:27

I think I should re-edit that part, as I liked the bands you recommended. All have strong atmospheric content which definitely fits my taste.

No worries man, glad that I could help
----
18.07.2013 - 18:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
If you like Atoma then you will like Enshine. Oh and also Palms debut album.
----
rekt
18.07.2013 - 20:38
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 18:39

If you like Atoma then you will like Enshine. Oh and also Palms debut album.

I've given Palms a listen before but I found it a rather tedious listen at times. I did like Enshine's debut, though I much preferred Atoma and Slumber.
19.07.2013 - 00:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Excellent list, really.
21.07.2013 - 09:56
Sincarnator

I wud personally recommend Old Mornings Dawn
21.07.2013 - 18:29
Erik M.

Written by Sincarnator on 21.07.2013 at 09:56

Totally agree with this. For some reason I didn't mention this brilliant album initially.

Edit: oh, I probably didn't recommend it because you already have Stronghold on here. Still, the atmosphere on OMD is superior, as is the album itself (but not by much though).
22.07.2013 - 17:14
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Sincarnator on 21.07.2013 at 09:56

I prefer Stronghold to OMD, nevertheless, I might consider adding that album as well.
23.07.2013 - 20:21
josuu

You had a few of my favourite albums listed (Alcest, The Gathering, Atoma for instance) in here and based on that I picked a couple of others to listen to. I really liked Enshine and Ahab a couple of bands I hadn't checked out before. Good job with the list.
24.07.2013 - 17:19
Melkor

Ive heard about 15 of the albums and i totally agree with you...although i would rate autumn aurora near the top....
24.07.2013 - 17:31
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Melkor on 24.07.2013 at 17:19

Ive heard about 15 of the albums and i totally agree with you...although i would rate autumn aurora near the top....

If you would notice, the albums are in alphabetical order and it has nothing to do with ratings.
24.07.2013 - 18:37
Erik M.

I agree it's better to not rank the albums, since he only has 1 album per band. If he had 2 or more albums per band then I'd agree that ranking them would be better.

That being said, I've heard most of these: 30 out of 42 albums that are listed in fact and I like them all except for Weighing Souls With Sand. Drone simply isn't my cup of tea.
24.07.2013 - 21:00
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 24.07.2013 at 18:37

I agree it's better to not rank the albums, since he only has 1 album per band. If he had 2 or more albums per band then I'd agree that ranking them would be better.

That being said, I've heard most of these: 30 out of 42 albums that are listed in fact and I like them all except for Weighing Souls With Sand. Drone simply isn't my cup of tea.

I would probably only have only one album per band, so I won't add Old Morning's Dawn. I actually prefer alphabetical than ratings as most people will have different opinions.
13.11.2013 - 08:16
Monolithic
♠♠♠
May I suggest Askival - Eternity ?
14.12.2013 - 07:22
Lit.
Account deleted
I like this list. Lemme try some suggestions:
The Ocean - Pelagial (You sink slowly but surely to the ocean floor)
A Storm Of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade (Like Neurosis and Rosetta, these guys play some crushing post metal)
Year Of No Light - Ausserwelt (Moar post-metal, instrumental)
Fungoid Stream - Oceanus (Quote "If Ahab drags you down, this is the bottom of the sea.")
Weakling - Dead As Dreams (Being the last one standing on "This Entire Fucking Battlefield.")
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (Sitting on the porch of a house in some southwest shantytown.)

And some odd requests:
Sleep - Dopesmoker (One long-ass hike through the never-ending Weedian desert)
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (You sit in your room, light hidden by the blinds and lit only by your TV and video game, drowning in your memories until you finally decide to kill yourself.)
15.12.2013 - 21:09
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Guest on 14.12.2013 at 07:22

The Ocean - Pelagial (You sink slowly but surely to the ocean floor)
A Storm Of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade (Like Neurosis and Rosetta, these guys play some crushing post metal)
Year Of No Light - Ausserwelt (Moar post-metal, instrumental)
Fungoid Stream - Oceanus (Quote "If Ahab drags you down, this is the bottom of the sea.")
Weakling - Dead As Dreams (Being the last one standing on "This Entire Fucking Battlefield.")
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull (Sitting on the porch of a house in some southwest shantytown.)

Sleep - Dopesmoker (One long-ass hike through the never-ending Weedian desert)
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (You sit in your room, light hidden by the blinds and lit only by your TV and video game, drowning in your memories until you finally decide to kill yourself.)

Some interesting suggestions here for me to check out, you even added cool passages to go with them
22.08.2014 - 00:06
V01d

This is a great list. Quite a few favorites on here, as well as lots of bands I haven't checked out, but have heard great things about. IIham, mz, and !J.O.O.E.! have also been a great help as far as stellar recommendations since I joined this site. I will be frequenting this list often.

Also, I wish Jef would just hurry up and reissue Lurker of Chalice on CD.
22.08.2014 - 00:26
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 22.08.2014 at 00:06

He did, actually. Or rather Southern Lord did in 2008. Not that it's any easier to find in comparison to the original, mind you. I had to shell out $40 for my copy.
22.08.2014 - 00:39
V01d

Written by Guest on 22.08.2014 at 00:26

He did, actually. Or rather Southern Lord did in 2008. Not that it's any easier to find in comparison to the original, mind you. I had to shell out $40 for my copy.

Blast. I can't find it on ebay or amazon new. Well worth the $40, considering.
22.08.2014 - 00:47
mz

IIham, mz, and !J.O.O.E.! have also been a great help as far as stellar recommendations since I joined this site.

Thanks dude. It's a great pleasure for me to be mentioned along Joe and Ilham. Quiet an achievement
----
22.08.2014 - 00:47
mz

IIham, mz, and !J.O.O.E.! have also been a great help as far as stellar recommendations since I joined this site.

Thanks dude. It's a great pleasure for me to be mentioned along Joe and Ilham. Quiet an achievement
----
22.08.2014 - 00:58
V01d

Written by mz on 22.08.2014 at 00:47

A'course! With this list I think I'm going to start with The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull. I've listened to Earth before but this one seems to get a lot of praise in particular.

Hits total: 18563 | This month: 26