07. Away [feat. Neil Halstead]
08. Délivrance

Disc II [deluxe edition, box & hardcover book bonus]
01. Into The Waves [feat. Billie Lindahl]

Disc III [Complete Shelter -box bonus DVD]
+ Opale [video]

The Best Metalgaze Album Of 2014

Additional info
Recorded and mixed by Birgir Jón Birgisson and Alcest at Sundlaugin Studios.
Assisted by Elisabeth Carlsson and Antoine Nouel.
Mastered by Joe Laporta at Sterling Sound.

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 101   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 944 users
16.07.2013 - 16:14
Rating: 7
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I sure bet Marcel is excited
16.07.2013 - 18:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I sure bet I'm not.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.07.2013 - 08:29
Lit.
Account deleted
I sure bet this'll blow.
17.07.2013 - 15:38
rdhelli@gmail.com

Good to know!
18.07.2013 - 18:37
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 17.07.2013 at 08:29

I sure bet this'll blow.

Why?
----
rekt
18.07.2013 - 19:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by tea[m]ster on 18.07.2013 at 18:37

Written by Guest on 17.07.2013 at 08:29

I sure bet this'll blow.

Why?

because Alcest has been getting progressively worse and the last couple also blew
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.07.2013 - 21:01
Uldreth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.07.2013 at 19:07

because Alcest has been getting progressively worse and the last couple also blew

Sadly this definitely has been a tendency, even though I liked their last.

I think Neige said this will be more influenced by actual non-metal shoegaze than previous albums, and I like shoegaze a lot so I'll still be curious about this one.
18.07.2013 - 21:03
Lit.
Account deleted
I was gonna say all of Alcest blows, but that works too.
18.09.2013 - 06:37
Rating: 8
SyntheticBreed

You're all insane. Alcest is getting better and better. Their two new songs they've played live at the past few U.S. shows are brilliant.
28.09.2013 - 05:25
Rating: 6
Diverge

Written by SyntheticBreed on 18.09.2013 at 06:37

You're all insane. Alcest is getting better and better. Their two new songs they've played live at the past few U.S. shows are brilliant.

I'm more of a moderate. Ecailles was my favourite Alcest release, along with Le Secret. Their newest album wasn't as shitty as people said; in fact, I thoroughly liked their sound on that album and I appreciated the lighter approach. Alcest is certainly divisive, though.
28.09.2013 - 06:00
SyntheticBreed

Agreed.
28.09.2013 - 10:44
Masonics

Written by Diverge on 28.09.2013 at 05:25

I'm more of a moderate. Ecailles was my favourite Alcest release, along with Le Secret. Their newest album wasn't as shitty as people said; in fact, I thoroughly liked their sound on that album and I appreciated the lighter approach. Alcest is certainly divisive, though.

+2 although every band has that effect with people, some more than others.

Didn't neige say this record will have less metal elements though? even if that is so I'm eager to here what sort of acoustics or shoegaze elements are present in this one.
28.09.2013 - 15:03
Diverge

Written by Masonics on 28.09.2013 at 10:44

Didn't neige say this record will have less metal elements though? even if that is so I'm eager to here what sort of acoustics or shoegaze elements are present in this one.

Neige has indeed said something along those lines. If you honestly expect metallic aspects to Alcest at this point, you deserve to be disappointed.
29.09.2013 - 13:49
Masonics

Written by Diverge on 28.09.2013 at 15:03

Written by Masonics on 28.09.2013 at 10:44

Neige has indeed said something along those lines. If you honestly expect metallic aspects to Alcest at this point, you deserve to be disappointed.

Could be interesting still, along with the new les discrets also apprently not being a metal record it will be interesting if these two new directions can be pulled off!
29.09.2013 - 13:56
Uldreth

Written by Masonics on 29.09.2013 at 13:49

Could be interesting still, along with the new les discrets also apprently not being a metal record it will be interesting if these two new directions can be pulled off!

Les Discrets never really was metal imo.

I think it deserves to be on metal sites for its relevance to the blackgaze movement and such but there was always zero bm elements to their music pretty much.

They are a shoegaze/post-rock band.
08.01.2014 - 09:59
Rating: 5
Monolithic
♠♠♠
It's been leaked.

Not sure if it's disappointing or not. I do like post-rock but by Alcest's standards (even on the earlier albums) I'm kinda confused.
08.01.2014 - 16:43
Rating: 5
God Alone

I only liked Voix Sereines - and I don't even find it great.
The rest is vapid and terribly clichéd. Sorry but... No.
08.01.2014 - 17:28

Great Album!
09.01.2014 - 03:50
Saiyanity

Definitely a change of pace for Alcest. No metal to be found here. Lands pretty much firmly in post-rock territory. That being said it may not be the most original album out there, but there's some gorgeous stuff going on here. Very very enjoyable album for me.
10.01.2014 - 00:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Saiyanity on 09.01.2014 at 03:50

Lands pretty much firmly in post-rock territory.

You mean shoegaze. This is about as shoegaze as you get. I like it as well though.
----
rekt
10.01.2014 - 03:46
Saiyanity

Written by tea[m]ster on 10.01.2014 at 00:06

Written by Saiyanity on 09.01.2014 at 03:50

Lands pretty much firmly in post-rock territory.

You mean shoegaze. This is about as shoegaze as you get. I like it as well though.

It felt more post-rockish to me, I didn't really get that "hazy" feeling from this like I normally do with shoegaze related stuff, definitely some but not a lot. That said though I really have little experience with shoegaze and I'm not too clear on the definition, so you're probably right. As long as we're both enjoying it though that's what counts in my book
10.01.2014 - 05:53
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I really have a hard time understanding what people call post-rock and shoegaze, they share a lot of common features. Seems to me quite useless to have these both terms as I don't see any inconvenience in choosing just one term for either shoegaze or post-rock bands. Just like Djent, I get they have a distinctive sound and there was this "group" of new bands that shared it, but I'll still feel just fine calling them prog or tech prog.
10.01.2014 - 06:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The difference between My Bloody Valentine and Godspeed You! Black Emperor should be enough to convince you that shoegaze and post-rock aren't exactly interchangeable.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.01.2014 - 06:45
Unhealer
Eclecticist
That's cheating, Troy (?). I didn't listen a single note by My Bloody Valentine (I'm doing that just now), but GY!BE is on another level. I wouldn't take it as THE perfect example for any genre on it's own.

EDIT: I listened to the referents of both genres and I see post-rock is usually instrumental and more lengthy. They also lack the usual song structures unlike shoegaze, at least the songs I heard. I guess there is an advantage on the distinction (there are others more useless after all), but I still hear a lot of common ground harmonically.
10.01.2014 - 07:18
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm looking forward to hearing this one. Even though the metal elements have pretty much been stripped based on the samples I've heard, I don't really care since I liked the samples that they put out so far anyway.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.01.2014 - 22:01
Uldreth

Written by Unhealer on 10.01.2014 at 05:53

I really have a hard time understanding what people call post-rock and shoegaze, they share a lot of common features. Seems to me quite useless to have these both terms as I don't see any inconvenience in choosing just one term for either shoegaze or post-rock bands. Just like Djent, I get they have a distinctive sound and there was this "group" of new bands that shared it, but I'll still feel just fine calling them prog or tech prog.

Shoegaze is generally distinguished by using massive amount of distortion and layers. It is a noisy genre, just not in an unpleasant way. But they use common structures and tend to have vocals. Which are often fuzzy and buried themselves but they are there.

Post-rock tends to use clean guitars and have this slowly evolving crescendo-based structure, also not all but most of the genre is instrumental.

These blackgaze bands and likes tend to get called both because they tend to employ the crescendo/texture based structure of post-rock but the guitar effects and the (clean) vocals are sheogazey.
10.01.2014 - 22:11
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Uldreth on 10.01.2014 at 22:01

These blackgaze bands and likes tend to get called both because they tend to employ the crescendo/texture based structure of post-rock but the guitar effects and the (clean) vocals are sheogazey.

This makes a lot of sense, this is probably what confused me.
12.01.2014 - 04:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Uldreth on 10.01.2014 at 22:01

Shoegaze is generally distinguished by using massive amount of distortion and layers. It is a noisy genre, just not in an unpleasant way. But they use common structures and tend to have vocals. Which are often fuzzy and buried themselves but they are there.

Post-rock tends to use clean guitars and have this slowly evolving crescendo-based structure, also not all but most of the genre is instrumental.

You my friend just won the internet. Excellent description.
----
rekt
12.01.2014 - 05:11
Diverge

As a fan of all Alcest's prior work, I must admit that Shelter was merely adequate. It's nice and soothing to listen to, but very by-the-book and even lacks the few interesting qualities of the album before it.
14.01.2014 - 02:47
Red_Travis

Http://pitchfork.com/advance/312-shelter/

Hits total: 23294 | This month: 52