05. Fanatic Assassins
06. Lionheart
07. Keeper Of The Holy Grail
08. Inquisition
09. Baphomet
10. Over The Sea
11. The Curse Of Jacques
12. The Battle Of Bannockburn
13. Children Of The Grave [Black Sabbath cover] [Japanese & limited edition bonus]
14. Kill The King [Rainbow cover] [Japanese & South American bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Chris Boltendahl & Uwe Lulis.
Co-produced, mixed and engineered by Suno Fabitch assisted by Stefan "Gabi" Moormann.
Recorded and mixed at Principal Studios - Senden/Münster during February/March '98.
Pre-production recorded and supervised by Uwe Lulis.
Mastered by John Cremer at EMI Studios/Cologne.
Orchestra arrangements by H.P. Katzenburg.

Cover concept by Chris and Markus Mayer.
Cover artwork by Markus Mayer.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
'Knights Of The Cross', the 2nd out of the 'Middle Ages Trilogy', when drums have never been so devastating, like on 'Monks Of War'. As the title says, this record tells the history of the crusades. Thus Grave Digger show the listeners another metallic episode in history: This is no epic record nor meant for such purposes, by the fierce power of the songs you may be able to imagine what king of battles have been fought and what senseless destruction has given both sides. This is all (in a generelized overview) about the muslim invasion of Jerusalem and the christian invasion to defend the holy land from the 'invaders'. Unbelievers on both sides, killing, destruction and lapses of the counterparts. A bit of story on Richard the Lionheart and more? all on one piece of metal on one album.

Read more ››
published 17.02.2004 | Comments (1)

Found in 8 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 169 users
20.07.2013 - 17:23
Rating: 8
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Not quite as good as "Tunes of War", in my opinion, but still a very good heavy metal album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
20.07.2013 - 17:41
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This one's right in the middle of their golden years, "Tunes of War", "Knights Of The Cross", "Excalibur" and "The Grave Digger" are all excellent albums.
20.07.2013 - 19:57
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by R'Vannith on 20.07.2013 at 17:41

This one's right in the middle of their golden years, "Tunes of War", "Knights Of The Cross", "Excalibur" and "The Grave Digger" are all excellent albums.

Yes and this one is my favorite! MURDER! MURDER!
21.07.2013 - 03:49
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by JÄY on 20.07.2013 at 19:57

Yes and this one is my favorite! MURDER! MURDER!

Fanatic Assassins is one of their best tunes for me, whenever I think of this album I think of that one in particular, it's catchy as hell!
31.07.2016 - 20:51
Joppe
Steelemeister
A strong album pretty much from the beginning till the end. When I usually say that most metal bands started to suck in the 90s, the opposite applies for GD; IMO they sucked in the 80s and began winning in the 90s.
----
My vision is augmented
01.08.2016 - 18:41
Joppe
Steelemeister

True, it is precisely these albums that raised GD from average and rather irrelevant to great and one of the top HM bands in my books.
----
My vision is augmented
15.03.2018 - 22:08
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice ne, in some way you can see the changes in band, but I like, talent and song writing experience this is great album,. I like concept albums whit good my kind a lyrics.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8798 | This month: 30