Metal Storm logo
Insomnium

Original post

Posted by Amrott, 20.05.2006 - 02:29
how come there was no thread about this band?!

i'll do the usual thread short intro

Insomnium playing "Gothenbug" metal according to MS. however these Finns had their take with heavy influences from old-in flames (Lunar Strain & The Jester Race) and made their own sound. lots of acoustic guitars, incredible melodies and song structure, yet retaining the heaviness of a melodeath band. and the vocals are one of the best imo.

second album continued in the path set by the first, but now you can feel the Opeth influnces with a couple of longer more complex songs.

ANY fan of In Flames - The Jester Race should check out Insomnium debut album "In The Halls Of Awaiting"

let's discuss...
17.08.2009 - 04:38
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Well i liked above the weeping world more than thier new album but i me as well need to give it anther spin
btw i am writing some Questions for an intervie with them any Questions you wish me to ask them ?
20.08.2009 - 20:02
Fhuesc

Yes i have a question, why they use that clean vocals in their new album?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
20.08.2009 - 20:13
baldur

Thats a good question!
21.08.2009 - 01:39
MetalSpider

Well...they said they wanted to experiment with clean vocals. Unfortunately they picked a weak vocalist.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
21.08.2009 - 19:32
Fhuesc

That's my question, why they picked that shitty vocals.
----
Until victory, always!
21.08.2009 - 23:13
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by MetalSpider on 21.08.2009 at 01:39

Well...they said they wanted to experiment with clean vocals. Unfortunately they picked a weak vocalist.

Yeah I knew they were gonna put some clean vocals in and apparently "Mr X" was the surprise choice for the job....whats the point of keeping it as a surprise when noones ever heard of the guy?? I was quietly confident and hoping they would choose Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis - that would have been INSANE! In fact, Finland is full of really good clean vocalists, why the hell would they choose someone who makes Kristian Ranta sound like a pro? meh....good album tho!
01.09.2009 - 18:56
Fhuesc

I found their new video pretty lame compared to the previous 2. It has nothing special, and black and white doesn't work.
----
Until victory, always!
01.09.2009 - 19:22
MetalSpider

I agree with Fhuesc...nothing special.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
02.09.2009 - 13:18
AbdelioR

I'm with silver_foxy. After reading so many positive comments I did expect something more. The new album is good, and I like it but nothing more... so far from Since the day...
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.
07.09.2009 - 03:43
Until the End

Listen from track 6 onwards (including the 2 bonus tracks) and it's classic Insomnium. The only tracks I find skippable are 'Where the Last Wave Broke' and 'Against the Stream'. That being said, I rate 'Lay of the Autumn' as one of their best songs, up there with 'Daughter of the Moon' and 'In the Groves of Death'.
07.09.2009 - 09:45
Fhuesc

@UntilTheEnd: do you have the link to the bonus tracks?
----
Until victory, always!
07.09.2009 - 17:25
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The thing with Insomnium is they never disappoint, but they never realyl blow you away. Subtle variations between albums but all in all this is just another typical Insomnium album. From a personal point of view probably their weakest, mainly due to the WEAK vocalist they chose for clean vocal duties. Seriously, Finland is practically drowning in the amount of quality clean metal vocalists they could have selected for the job - but they didntm they went for some no-name guy.....and if I am mistaken and the dude is actually wellknown then it still doesnt take from the fact that his vocals are weak.

Love the song "Into the Woods" and a few others, the latter part of the album is actually stronger than the start.

7 - 7.5/10 from me
03.01.2010 - 10:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Fhuesc on 20.08.2009 at 20:02

I only listened to their latest release, are you saying their's no clean vocals in their previous works?
----
rekt
06.01.2010 - 09:01
Fhuesc

Written by tea[m]ster on 03.01.2010 at 10:26

I only listened to their latest release, are you saying their's no clean vocals in their previous works?

No, not a single word sang with those horrible clean vocals.
----
Until victory, always!
06.01.2010 - 19:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Fhuesc on 06.01.2010 at 09:01

Written by tea[m]ster on 03.01.2010 at 10:26

No, not a single word sang with those horrible clean vocals.

ok then, my other question are their other works anygood?
----
rekt
06.01.2010 - 22:00
Fhuesc

Written by tea[m]ster on 06.01.2010 at 19:14

ok then, my other question are their other works anygood?

Yes, i find their previous albums really good, in fact my favorite album is their second work "Since The Day It All Came Down".
----
Until victory, always!
12.01.2010 - 18:54
MeloDeathViking

My favorite is still Aove the Weaping World, I would definitly check that one out Tea[m]ster.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
07.03.2010 - 11:42
elseif

I really hate the clean vocals on the last album but the rest is brilliant as always.
10.03.2010 - 21:54
Xavilith

New one is pretty good but I like all their previous albums more. Been listening to Above The Weeping World mostly lately and it's just brilliant. Only complaint goes to the vocals being bit low in the mix but nontheless it sounds great; great lyrics too. Insomnium has the best lyrics ever in my opinion.
Can't wait to see them live^^
24.04.2010 - 05:39
Fhuesc

Can anyone help me to identify what on what song is based the bonus track "The New Beginning"?, i think is from Above The Weeping World just like the other bonus track "Into The Evernight".
----
Until victory, always!
05.05.2010 - 10:45
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Fhuesc on 24.04.2010 at 05:39

Can anyone help me to identify what on what song is based the bonus track "The New Beginning"?, i think is from Above The Weeping World just like the other bonus track "Into The Evernight".

The New Beginning is an entirely original track, they've played it live already. There's a melody similar to the intro of Down with the Sun though.
18.08.2010 - 16:37
Wishmaster
Account deleted
I love love Insomnium! I like all their albums! The latest is kinda weak, but still it's a progress. I don't like the clean vocals, they remind me of metalcore bands.

Btw, did anyone know that Drawn To Black's chorus is actually taken from a poem?

The night has a thousand eyes and the day but one, yet, the light of a bright world dies with the dying sun.
The mind has a thousand eyes and the heart but one, yet,...

-Francis William Bourdillon
19.08.2010 - 00:17
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 16:37

Btw, did anyone know that Drawn To Black's chorus is actually taken from a poem?

Yep, pretty common knowledge that one

Insomnium are working on new material, they recently entered the studio. I'm not completely sure if it will be a full-length or an EP though.
06.09.2010 - 20:01
Bushwookie

It better be a full-length album D:!
10.09.2010 - 08:42
DarkestChild

Written by Risto on 19.08.2010 at 00:17

Insomnium are working on new material, they recently entered the studio. I'm not completely sure if it will be a full-length or an EP though.

Such good news. I really enjoy hearing this.
----
If you see a stain on you in the mirror, remove it from you not from the mirror
10.09.2010 - 09:13
ashadows92iq

I listened last night to a track ft. Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity and perhaps there is gonna be an EP
09.09.2012 - 18:27
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 00:27
So far, I like "Across the Dark" and "Above the Weeping World". Insomnium seems to be damn awesome, so far.

They really don't have any not-awesome releases.
10.09.2012 - 20:57
Dinruth

Written by Timmeh on 09.09.2012 at 18:27

Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 00:27
So far, I like "Across the Dark" and "Above the Weeping World". Insomnium seems to be damn awesome, so far.

They really don't have any not-awesome releases.

I second that! I love the shit out of this band.
12.07.2013 - 17:13
cogliostro

Ah, you have come this far also. Insomnium is great, but I found this band while looking for the same sound of Be'Lakor. And yes, Insomnium does sound like Be'Lakor. But, you're in for a treat, if you haven't discovered Be'Lakor yet. Try them out and you know what I mean. They're my favorite melodeath band.
Btw. Above the Weeping World is my choice.
13.07.2013 - 23:00
JÄY
Metal slave
I love this band's style but all the songs on their albums tend to blend together for me...I can't tell a single song apart from another and nothing sticks out....