Metal Storm logo
Insomnium

Original post

Posted by Amrott, 20.05.2006 - 02:29
how come there was no thread about this band?!

i'll do the usual thread short intro

Insomnium playing "Gothenbug" metal according to MS. however these Finns had their take with heavy influences from old-in flames (Lunar Strain & The Jester Race) and made their own sound. lots of acoustic guitars, incredible melodies and song structure, yet retaining the heaviness of a melodeath band. and the vocals are one of the best imo.

second album continued in the path set by the first, but now you can feel the Opeth influnces with a couple of longer more complex songs.

ANY fan of In Flames - The Jester Race should check out Insomnium debut album "In The Halls Of Awaiting"

let's discuss...
19.03.2007 - 13:08
MH

Insomnium is very good. I haven't yet formed an opinion of the latest album, but the first one is really great. The second as well, but I like the 1st better.. Btw, has anybody else noticed similarities between Insomnium and Opeth? Resonance especially..
19.03.2007 - 22:33
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Insomnium is a really good and unique band....theyre a much less "rough around the edges" like many of the bands thesedays and they bring a lot of beauty into their music which i think is refreshing. The new album is very good...not as good as the first two but still a good listen.
19.03.2007 - 22:39
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Guest on 19.03.2007 at 22:33

Insomnium is a really good and unique band....theyre a much less "rough around the edges" like many of the bands thesedays and they bring a lot of beauty into their music which i think is refreshing. The new album is very good...not as good as the first two but still a good listen.

I agree, "Above The Weeping World" has great songs, my favourites are "Change Of Heart" and "Mortal Share"...but i think "Since The Day It All Came Down" is better, because in general all songs are great! Insomnium are very good in deed
03.04.2007 - 17:18
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I can't find "In The Halls Of Awaiting" anywhere...
04.04.2007 - 11:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

also you forgot say tahy realy care about songs what thay play and each song lyric are written cerifully and in poetical way
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.04.2007 - 01:20
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 04.04.2007 at 11:17

also you forgot say tahy realy care about songs what thay play and each song lyric are written cerifully and in poetical way

..well yeah thats kinda the point i was trying to make by saying their music has a lot of beauty in it

The new album is really growing on me, especially the last month. "In the Groves of Death" is an immense song..its epic and the song ends even better than it begins, around 5:40 it just gets amazing, around from where the spoken parts start. That in itself is such an Insomnium trademark isnt it? Those soft spoken whisper type vocals...its awesome.

The whole album is fantastic though and the more i listen to it the more I realize how much they have matured. Great band, Im buying their shirt and hoodie this weekend haha
09.04.2007 - 06:14
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Insomnium is just a band that really excels at what they do. I haven't heard much of the new album, but I must say Insomnium has a very unique take on melodic death metal which serves them very very well.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
30.05.2007 - 10:21
Bash'
:)
Also, they aren't like some bands who shoot a groundbreaking track, and all the rest is just to fill a full length album ...

Most of their tracks I liked them ..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
02.06.2007 - 15:04
Piro

Insomnium is great. They are the ones that got me into Death Metal. I liked Since the Day It All Came Down slightly better than Above the Weeping World. However, Above the Weeping World had some great tracks, like Mortal Share, Drawn to Black, and The Killjoy was a decent track.
Still, this band is very good!:metal:ROCK AND LIVE ON FOREVER INSOMNIUM!
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
03.06.2007 - 22:40
SirHooke

Written by Bash' on 30.05.2007 at 10:21

Also, they aren't like some bands who shoot a groundbreaking track, and all the rest is just to fill a full length album ...

You are SO right.. They are a band that delivers one great song after the other.
Their albums are just packed with high quality stuff that doesn't bore easily and that you can enjoy any time.
04.06.2007 - 13:58
Piro

For the most part you are right, but what about the song nocturne on the "Since the day it all came down CD?
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
05.06.2007 - 13:38
SirHooke

Written by Piro on 04.06.2007 at 13:58

For the most part you are right, but what about the song nocturne on the "Since the day it all came down CD?

Well, if you're asking me, I don't think it is boring or something.. Its a calm song, a moodsetter for the rest of the album so I believe that it very wel fits the album.. And its not badly composed either.
05.06.2007 - 13:43
Piro

Hmm, I've never thought about it like that before,
I just think that doing something more like "The Gale" on above the weeping world fits in better, even just as a moodsetter.
----
09.11.2007 - 01:07
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
great band, and quite underated IMO, but absolutely love "Since The Day It All Came Down" and "Above The Weeping World", but havent heard much of "In The Halls Of Awaiting" but would love to - im sure it would be great!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
09.11.2007 - 01:11
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 09.11.2007 at 01:07

great band, and quite underated IMO, but absolutely love "Since The Day It All Came Down" and "Above The Weeping World", but havent heard much of "In The Halls Of Awaiting" but would love to - im sure it would be great!

You better hear it! I changed my opinion, "In The Halls Of Awaiting" is the best of them all!
09.11.2007 - 01:13
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Unconsecrated on 09.11.2007 at 01:11

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 09.11.2007 at 01:07

You better hear it! I changed my opinion, "In The Halls Of Awaiting" is the best of them all!

really!?!? i LOVED their latest 2 albums, and i thought theyre first album was just a so-so debut album, but now im going to have to check it out!!
----
09.11.2007 - 01:15
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I agree with you. I think they're an awesome band and they're underrated as hell!
09.11.2007 - 06:37
Fhuesc

I liked more Since The Day It All Came Down, but the last song of In The Halls Of Awaiting it'a a master piece.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
09.11.2007 - 07:07
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yes i obtained the album in the halls of waiting - now its time to sit and listen
----
09.11.2007 - 14:43
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 09.11.2007 at 07:07

yes i obtained the album in the halls of waiting - now its time to sit and listen

I wish i could have that one too, but it's the only one that i can't find! Than tell me what you think about that album, maybe you'll change your opinion about the best Insomnium work.
10.11.2007 - 11:34
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Unconsecrated on 09.11.2007 at 14:43

Written by BurbotsRevenge on 09.11.2007 at 07:07

I wish i could have that one too, but it's the only one that i can't find! Than tell me what you think about that album, maybe you'll change your opinion about the best Insomnium work.

Yesterday, i wished it and i already have it! Now, i have the whole Insomnium discography! I would love to see them live!
10.11.2007 - 15:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unconsecrated on 09.11.2007 at 01:15

I agree with you. I think they're an awesome band and they're underrated as hell!

Weird thay are well know but underated
----

apos;'
[image]
10.11.2007 - 15:32
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by Bad English on 10.11.2007 at 15:21

Well, usually when a person thinks in Gothenburg/Melodeath, that person tends to think right away in: In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy and so on...I think these bands are a bit overrated (of course they have credit for what they have done in the past), but Insomnium is an excellent band and compared to In Flames or Dark Tranquillity they're very underrated. Personally, i like more Insomnium than these three bands that i refered above. They have been doing a great work, three awesome albums and i think it's time that they can become more known in the Gothenburg/Melodeath scene.
10.11.2007 - 15:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unconsecrated on 10.11.2007 at 15:32

Written by Bad English on 10.11.2007 at 15:21

Well, usually when a person thinks in Gothenburg/Melodeath, that person tends to think right away in: In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy and so on...I think these bands are a bit overrated (of course they have credit for what they have done in the past), but Insomnium is an excellent band and compared to In Flames or Dark Tranquillity they're very underrated. Personally, i like more Insomnium than these three bands that i refered above. They have been doing a great work, three awesome albums and i think it's time that they can become more known in the Gothenburg/Melodeath scene.

100% agree about overated think
----

apos;'
[image]
12.11.2007 - 14:53
Piro

Perhaps overrated but I still love bands like Dark Tranquillity. I also like In Flames, but DT is better. Insomnium is getting more and more popular though, just look at their profile on www.last.fm if you would have looked at it a year or so ago...
----
13.11.2007 - 18:39
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Yes, they are becoming more popular, but they deserve it.
13.11.2007 - 23:47
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
ive been listening to in the halls of the waiting, and nothing special has been seen yet, but il prob appre4ciate with a few more listens...
----
05.12.2007 - 06:02
Lemagra
Account deleted
Insomnium are metal. They are incredible, encorporated so many styles to create their own unique genre, elements and battle, heavy, thrash, death, prog and power all thrown into one, and occasionally a bit of black. I love insomnium, devoid of caring is an absolute masterpiece.
05.12.2007 - 06:20
selken
Irreligious
Great band, I think that they took what the true gothenburg is and perfectionated it, in a way that they can be match for the big names (DT, IF).
My fav album is the last one, I like a lot the long and instrumental (or little vocals) songs.
----
26.12.2007 - 15:05
Piro

What they did I think, was merge the two most "beatiful" genres beatiful as in sad and sorrowful. THey merged Doom and Melodic Death/Gothenburg to create their sound. That is what makes them so much different from In Flames and Dark Tranquiltiy.

They are so good, that I've changed some people's perspectives of harsh vocals with them. For example, I gave my friend who before was basically dominated by alternative metal, and a bit of thrash, a copy of Insomnium, and whatdoyouknow? He enjoys melodic death now, thanks to Insomnium, and a week or so later, In Flames.

This band excels in almost everything they do, sadly, I missed their US tour, next time I will make it no matter what!
----