05. Ghuleh / Zombie Queen
06. Year Zero
07. Body And Blood
08. Idolatrine
09. Depth Of Satan's Eyes
10. Monstrance Clock
11. La Mantra Mori [deluxe edition bonus]
12. I'm A Marrionette [ABBA cover] [deluxe edition bonus]

Who are Ghost B.C. and what makes their music so appealing? To be honest, when I heard their debut album I didn't think much of these questions. All I thought was that the dark aura of Mercyful Fate around their thinly concealed heart nabbed from Blue Öyster Cult tunes like "Nosferatu" was decades too late. Listening now to their second effort Infestissumam is like having a conversation with the misunderstood Casper the friendly ghost, if he were the head of a Satanic cult. Their sound is actually readily accessible, as it turns out, and completely inoffensive, if you aren't deterred by the devil fixation.

When a band's music so closely connects with their unique image it can become difficult not to become mystified when their sound changes, even if it does so in the subtlest of ways. They may have a new vocalist or "Papa", dubbed Emeritus II, but the presentation of the ghoulish gathering formerly known as Ghost remains charismatic as it matches their music exceptionally well with the eerie sounds lurking beneath. The synthetic seductions of their organ keys and psychedelic affection make all their mischievous blasphemes quite endearing.

For fans of their debut this one is not as heavy or edgy since the synths really take control. Close attention in the production is still there to give it a cathedral-like echo which characterises the album and in particular the highlight "Year Zero". The lead voice and secondary vocal accoutrements convey a similar air as they creepily offer up numerous catchy lines.

Yet, Infestissumam doesn't have the same occult feeling as the debut and tracks like "Idolatrine" are happy-go-lucky in a jovial bounce of joint drum and synth patterns. Such sections as those issued by the hazy guitars which lumber through "Monstrance Clock" constitute the heavier moments as much of the album lacks a continual metal edge.

This sophomore is simplistic in approach and rather transparent in terms of rhythmic qualities. The longevity of the songwriting will likely depend upon how much heavy metal you're expecting and the grasp of it is quite loose. Yet, it is a more playful endeavour as it explores a number of hooky rock avenues and it's easy to succumb to the devilish dance of "Secular Haze", the piano accompanied whispers followed by surf rock waves of "Ghuleh/Zombie Queen" and the spiraling riffs as you traverse the "Depth Of Satan's Eyes."

This album came as a surprise to me as its strongest quality is the immediate pull the songwriting seems to have. It's hard to resist initially, after all, nothing gets all the Lucifer love moving than an engaging beat but the music is still reliant on image to see it through. Although catchiness is the game and Ghost B.C. are playing it well.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 02.08.2013 by R'Vannith enjoys music, he's hoping you do too.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 402 users
03.08.2013 - 00:40
Mattybu
I can tell you listened attentively to the album and I certainly think this is a reasonable review but in my opinion the album deserves a bit higher of a score. What I appreciate about this album is that there was enough change so it wasn't a rehash of the debut but still kept the essence of the band there. It is nowhere near as good as the debut (which the world was not prepared for) but I still find myself listening to the entire album on more or less a daily basis.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Jigolo Har Megiddo as the happy go lucky song. If that song doesn't have some catchy bouncy atmosphere I don't know what does.

Also, everyone seems to think Year Zero is the highlight, and it's a good song, but I can think of at least 4 on the album that are better.
03.08.2013 - 13:07
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Good to see a review of this album on the site. I was thinking of writing one myself but couldn't find the time. I certainly think it is a more mature album than the first one, with more accomplished song writing that shows with a greater variety of songs. Both this and their first album are enjoyable but nothing ground-breaking. The whole theme with the silly costumes and anti-religious lyrics is pretty funny and entertaining.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
03.08.2013 - 17:09
Rating: 8
gnirpz
100% agree with Ceddybu on that! The review is pretty well deserved, but that album is soooo catchy and that's the reason is a outstanding album. To be honnest, that's my best of the year so far. The year is still long. If you can see Ghost live, you will appreciate that band more than before.

Year zero is pretty good, but Zombie Queen and Monstrance Clock are better song. By the way, Monstrance Clock as the last song of the album is the best choice.

Papa Emeritus II have a vocal than PEI on Opus Eponymous. Metal purist won't appreciate that album than me for sure.

That album will put Ghost on the map for sure. They won't be on the shadow of all-star band for a long time.

Perfect album.
03.08.2013 - 17:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Good album and review. I especially like the comparison you drew to Mercyful Fate. I didn't really think about that at first with Opus Eponymous, but now that I consider it a bit more, Papa does indeed give off a bit of a King Diamond vibe, and the band definitely have the similar atmosphere with the lyrical themes as well.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.08.2013 - 17:27
Dylan
Good album, got old fast for me. The debut was better.

Year Zero is my favourite track by miles here.
05.08.2013 - 12:21
honey
I would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
----
learnalanguagelearnalanguage
Pass4sure ccdaPass4sure ccda
Pass4sure A+ Exam QuestionsPass4sure A+ Exam Questions
05.08.2013 - 15:50
Schizonaut
This must be one of the best albums released after 2000.
05.08.2013 - 16:47
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
Good review but I'm getting tired of seeing people compare a heavy psychedelic rock band to Mercyful Fate when the only thing they have in common are the lyrical themes.
05.08.2013 - 17:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 05.08.2013 at 16:47

...but I'm getting tired of seeing people compare a heavy psychedelic rock band to Mercyful Fate when the only thing they have in common are the lyrical themes.

Same here, because vocally and musically the two are nothing alike.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.08.2013 - 17:37
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually have to admit that the first thing I said when I first heard Ghost was: "Whoa, Mercyful Fate..."
I'm not that strong on Mercful Fate though, so maybe that's why.
----
05.08.2013 - 17:58
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Warman on 05.08.2013 at 17:37

I actually have to admit that the first thing I said when I first heard Ghost was: "Whoa, Mercyful Fate..."
I'm not that strong on Mercful Fate though, so maybe that's why.

Same here, I do like my BOC though and while Ghost's debut sounded similar it has a darker and heavier sound, Mercyful Fate is what I think of when I think "dark and heavy". I get less of that feeling with this one though.
07.08.2013 - 19:41
Mattybu
Comparisons to Mercyful Fate are completely reasonable and logical. Although less strong on this album than the first.

Also more people need to commend this album for being able to integrate surf rock into the sound and still make it work and be fucking awesome
02.03.2014 - 18:42
Gawain
Account deleted
Ha! my dad told me that the song 'ritual' reminded him of a song from Blue Oyster Cult two days ago when I picked up their debut. Funny thing to see you noticed it too
03.03.2014 - 02:20
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.03.2014 at 18:42

Ha! my dad told me that the song 'ritual' reminded him of a song from Blue Oyster Cult two days ago when I picked up their debut. Funny thing to see you noticed it too

I'm a bit of a BOC nut myself, so to hear their sound influencing other bands is usually a plus for me. Most folks would no doubt disagree with me about this album here, in comparison to their debut, but I enjoyed this one a fair bit more than "Opus Eponymous," despite the lighter and "poppy" feel to it. It's infectious to say the least.

Hits total: 8195 | This month: 14