Metal Storm logo
Rosetta - Entire New Album Streaming Online

After showing us the artwork for their newest album The Anaesthete, Rosetta are currently streaming the entire release on their Bandcamp page. You can now enjoy the first new album from the band since A Determinism Of Morality. Was it worth the wait?

This is Rosetta's fourth full-length album and first totally independent release which is now available for download and you can pay what you want. The CD/vinyl release in Europe will be brought by Debemur Morti Productions in the fall of 2013. The vinyl release in Australia will be on Monolith also in the fall of 2013. In North America, the vinyl will be independently released by the band, and come out as soon as funds allow.

The Anaesthete tracklist:

01. Ryu / Tradition
02. Fudo / The Immovable Deity
03. In & Yo / Dualities Of The Way
04. Oku / The Secrets
05. Hodoku / Compassion
06. Myo / The Miraculous
07. Hara / The Center
08. Ku / Emptiness
09. Shugyo / Austerity

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Rosetta
Posted: 08.08.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 67 users
08.08.2013 - 13:29
Hallford9000

I think it's the worst release by them. After Wake/Lift they stopped taking risks. Wake/Lift had a experimenatal production and a lot of unique ideas. The last one had at least some kind of direction and good moments, but this one has nothing of it.
08.08.2013 - 13:30
Hallford9000

Now waiting to hear teamsters opinion.
08.08.2013 - 13:39
Saiyanity

Definitely sounded a bit stale to me, but all in all it had some really good tracks. I'll have to see what further listens bring.
08.08.2013 - 13:43
Uldreth

Well yeah it doesn't seam to be experimental or anything but I never found this band to be experimental or anything in the first place. Haven't finished yet but so far sounds to me like a very good but formulaic post-metal album. And I do not think that is a problem.

Edit: Just got to Compassion. Holy shit, this is so good.
08.08.2013 - 14:08
Hallford9000

The problem with post-metal is, if you don't reinvent yourself constantly, you're out. Look at Pelican or Mouth of the Architect. They were promising but now are just boring. Then again look at Isis or Cult of Luna. They always took a new approach with every album they made. You have to stay interesting. Rosetta fails to do this.
08.08.2013 - 14:26
Kuroboshi

Aside from CoL, The Ocean have succeeded phenomenally in that aspect, I think. Also, Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster is one group to keep your eye on.

Rosetta have never been that interesting, but nevertheless I will take a look at this one in the next few days.
08.08.2013 - 14:35
Uldreth

Written by Hallford9000 on 08.08.2013 at 14:08

The problem with post-metal is, if you don't reinvent yourself constantly, you're out. Look at Pelican or Mouth of the Architect. They were promising but now are just boring. Then again look at Isis or Cult of Luna. They always took a new approach with every album they made. You have to stay interesting. Rosetta fails to do this.

I get what you mean but I just don't agree.

I DO like original and inventive music, but I think originality is very overrated these days.

As I said, I don't think Rosetta was ever very original. Even their more inventive stuff (The Galilean Satellites being a double album f. ex.) were done before (in case of my example, Neurosis). And I really do not think post-metal is a genre that is very prone to experimentation. Isis laid down a general sound for the genre (post-rock structures, dynamics and melodies intertwined with sludgy heavy passages, metalcore vocals and sometimes further metalcore tendencies) and while bands do have their own sound and further influences, most stuff here is very very very similiar to one another.

This album is powerful and emotive and that is all I wish from it, and based on my first listen, I got what I wanted.
08.08.2013 - 16:51
Monolithic
♠♠♠

Rosetta and Cult of Luna actually "don't care" to be associated with that term. In Mike Armine's words: "Metal never ended, it just evolved.We feel really little in common with bands like that (Who use the term Post-Metal.)"
And I honestly think that's your opinion over Rosetta failing at being, "interesting". Not that I'm trying to imply you're wrong or anything.
I listened to the album and I actually like it. It doesn't sound like a "breakthrough" but it's an enjoyable album.
08.08.2013 - 17:11
Hallford9000

Written by Monolithic on 08.08.2013 at 16:51

Rosetta and Cult of Luna actually "don't care" to be associated with that term. In Mike Armine's words: "Metal never ended, it just evolved.We feel really little in common with bands like that (Who use the term Post-Metal.)"
And I honestly think that's your opinion over Rosetta failing at being, "interesting". Not that I'm trying to imply you're wrong or anything.
I listened to the album and I actually like it. It doesn't sound like a "breakthrough" but it's an enjoyable album.

I don't care about being white but I am.
08.08.2013 - 17:46
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Hallford9000 on 08.08.2013 at 17:11

Written by Monolithic on 08.08.2013 at 16:51

I don't care about being white but I am.

Post-Metal isn't about race or color. Actually there is a huge difference between these two. If you're white then that's a genetic fact but Rosetta's music is a blend of different genres. If you realize how it came to be known as Post-metal in the first place, then you'll realize you should be grateful for being white.
08.08.2013 - 18:10
Uldreth

Written by Monolithic on 08.08.2013 at 17:46

Post-Metal isn't about race or color. Actually there is a huge difference between these two. If you're white then that's a genetic fact but Rosetta's music is a blend of different genres. If you realize how it came to be known as Post-metal in the first place, then you'll realize you should be grateful for being white.

It is possible I misunderstand you, but I think you misunderstood his point.

He meant that just because Rosetta and co. don't like being labelled as post-metal, they ARE post-metal, so if we evaluate post-metal in certain ways, then Rosetta should be no exception because it IS post-metal. Which is true.

I just don't agree with his evaluation of post-metal.

This whole "originality" BS is one of the biggest pet peeves of mine, I think the vast majority of the time people play the originality card, they are just trying to "objectify" their subjective dislike for something, as originality is something that is measurable qualitatively as opposed to "goodness", so by playing on an aspect that is measurable, their /subjective/ opinions seem more valid.
Not saying this is the case with him, I am speaking more broadly. If he dislikes this album, it is fine, I just don't think noninventiveness is a factor at all. In the end music should be something that affects us, which is a confluence of many different factors, originality perhaps being one of them. This album affected me, and it did so positively, and from that point on I don't give a rats ass about how inventive this is.
08.08.2013 - 18:25
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Uldreth on 08.08.2013 at 18:10

Written by Monolithic on 08.08.2013 at 17:46

It is possible I misunderstand you, but I think you misunderstood his point.

He meant that just because Rosetta and co. don't like being labelled as post-metal, they ARE post-metal, so if we evaluate post-metal in certain ways, then Rosetta should be no exception because it IS post-metal. Which is true.

What I'm trying to say is, there are no certain ways to say Rosetta is post-metal, not because of Rosetta playing "a different type of music", but because post-metal is considered more of a moniker than a real genre by a lot of people. We don't even have it for categorizing in MS (I've read wikipedia as well. ) and I'm actually one of those people who really doesn't like the term because it's more of a moniker than a real "genre". In Rosetta's music, the elements haven't gone through intense fusion to become indistinguishable. There's hardcore, shoegazing and drone music. I just quoted Mike Armine's thoughts to say that he's rather "against it" himself.

Anyway, this genre debate seems to be everyone's favorite in MS, except for the staff, amirite?
08.08.2013 - 19:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Hallford9000 on 08.08.2013 at 13:30

Now waiting to hear teamsters opinion.

I agree with you about Rosetta not taking many chances on this release. However, I have no problem with bands standing pat with their formula. If it keeps working, run with it. Rosetta is one of those bands that have perfected their style of music to hold their own with any band in their respected genre. With this release, for me, they have earned a 100% satisfaction/guarantee stamp on their type of atmospheric post/sludge metal. I like this more than ADoM.

Also, although MoTA did take some chances with The Dawning, I am not sure it was worth it. I like their previous stuff way more. Sometimes it may be better to release music you are used to rather than making something different for the sake of being different. Very few bands can claim they went in a different direction and have success. Stay inside the box.
----
rekt
10.08.2013 - 19:14
Mechaniacal

Rosetta could have taken a chance to please potential haters/bitchers that aren't even fans of Rosetta or post-metal, and in doing so, piss off their own loyal fans that would have wanted to them to stay true to themselves, as this album does.

This one sounds like the Rosetta I know and love, and to wish for anything else would be wishing for change.

Just like new Mouth of the Architect, The Anaesthete is one of 2013's finest albums.

Hits total: 2148 | This month: 8