Metal Storm logo
How do i Rekindle a passion for playing and writing ?

11.08.2013 - 04:24
LICH

Recently ( or these past few months) i feel that music and writing music in general just seems painful and tiring, everything from writing lyrics to writing riffs just seems the same, i cant turn my head without trends repeating themselves or others achieving more then me, i feel i cant get things finished and i feel in general that from the outside im viewed as a poor musician, do any of you have any advice you could give me to help rekindle my love and passion for music ? i just feel like playing is a pain and i want to learn to enjoy the process of writing and making an album, be it solo or with my band.
11.08.2013 - 10:28
Sunioj

I say this not to talk down to you, but you are pretty young. Don't be so hard on yourself, you must shed this expectation of what musician you should be to other people and yourself. Every musician experiences a stint in the road when it comes to learning or the creative process, this is completely normal. To become proficient in any instrument, it takes years or practice and dedication - sometimes even that takes us so far. Hell, you might not really find what you truly love to play or how to play until your mid 20's and this is fine too.

Half of what a musician is, is a listener. This is especially true if you want to play in a band, write music or whatever. Continue exploring your musical spectrum and just take the time to enjoy it and learn what you can from it, soak it all in.Take a break from writing, just listen and play if you feel like it. Doesn't matter if its indie pop, rap or the most brutal metal. Play with as much musicians as possible from as much genres, this will help a lot too. If you don't want to do this, that's also ok. But if at your current level you are experiencing stagnation it might be time to think outside the box.

Point is, don't force yourself to play or write what you genuinely don't want. Be impulsive, that is the best way to write music. It will come naturally and pressure won't help.

Hope that helps.
11.08.2013 - 10:43
Fritillaria
Account deleted
First of all be more patient,sometimes writing music is really a hard task,especially if the results won't turn out as you expect, so better take a break from it, do something else instead of that if you don't have any deadline for what you do,second listen to variety of music, if you're writing metal, try listening to some Blues or even try to play some blues music, I mean something very far from what you do ? ( but in my opinion the best choice is trying to play some blues) you know ? and then after a while I think the passion and the ideas will come back oh and in the end, when you're deciding to go back to your writing music, at first steps start it with some kind of fun activities, like doing some random improvising on your guitar,it may help to give your ideas and at the same time because it's not a serious activity in your music job it can bring you back the joy music
12.08.2013 - 00:20
ANGEL REAPER

Written by LICH on 11.08.2013 at 04:24

Recently ( or these past few months) i feel that music and writing music in general just seems painful and tiring, everything from writing lyrics to writing riffs just seems the same, i cant turn my head without trends repeating themselves or others achieving more then me, i feel i cant get things finished and i feel in general that from the outside im viewed as a poor musician, do any of you have any advice you could give me to help rekindle my love and passion for music ? i just feel like playing is a pain and i want to learn to enjoy the process of writing and making an album, be it solo or with my band.

just stick with your thing and thrash the places up... walk your way ,and when you are again in good mood you'll again feel the passion ... hell in these 5 years i wanted to quit writing/playing music like 100000 times and i always got back to my guitar and stuff...
also who gives the fuck what outsiders think...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.08.2013 - 03:11
LICH

Thanks guys much appreciated i will take all of your advice cheers