Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - New Album Songwriting Process Has Started

In a recent interview with Alcatraz Metal Fest where they performed, Nightwish's main man Tuomas Holopainen stated a few new updates and info about the future for the band. During this summer, three new songs were written and Holopainen will continue writing more songs after he has finished his solo soundtrack album (The Life and Times Of Scrooge McDuck) due in October and after a few months break. The group will then enter the studio in July 2014, which they have already booked until September 2014. In the meantime, the rest of the band will spend time with their other projects (Tarot, ReVamp, Brother Firetribe).

About the vocalist issue, Tuomas comments: "The thing is that we haven't really thought about it in a concrete way, because there is no need to... It's been such a mess once again, I feel I need a month or two just to not think about the vocal issue at all. Then by the end of this year we have to make some decisions. But everyone realizes that Floor is on top of the list, naturally. But I don't want to do anything official, I don't want to make this decision just yet."

Regarding the new material: "Yeah, a bit more like a band album, because we have kinda searched this orchestral, really varied spectrum to its maximum now, that how I feel. But maybe, you never know how the mind works... But I have three new songs done already, it's again something a bit different."

The new vocalist will then be announced in 2014, and the Wacken show DVD will be out around November/December if everything goes as planned.

Source: festivalblog.be
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 16.08.2013 by /Marius

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 24   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 305 users
16.08.2013 - 17:10
Jiri

Poor Floor...
16.08.2013 - 17:52
Nemo Atkins

Written by Jiri on 16.08.2013 at 17:10

Poor Floor...

We don't know how this might work out. For all we know, she'll be announced as the new vocalist (both sides certainly sound like they would like to work together, from what I've read) and the next album will be...I don't want to say "better" than the Annette material, since I quite enjoy it myself and didn't actually mind her in Nightwish (granted, I've never seen them live), but maybe more in line with the Tarja material (which I don't know much of, but what I have heard is certainly very enjoyable).

Personally, I'm on the fence whether it would be good to have Floor in Nightwish, since her current band would not really be able to do much while she is with Nightwish (not that I'm complaining about that: I wasn't fond of ReVamp's first album) and some people would complain that it means After Forever is almost guaranteed to never reform, but we would get a vocalist who can perform music from both eras of Nightwish without necessarily being an impersonator of either Tarja or Annette and it would encourage people to check out both ReVamp and After Forever (if they haven't already) to see what Floor is capable of with material that was written for her voice.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out...
16.08.2013 - 18:00
PocketMetal

The female vocals were the only down-side in the recent albums , and tbh I wasn't a fan of Tarja either ... so an album with Floor can easily become my favorite from NW.
16.08.2013 - 18:21
Enissa

Floor in Nightwish would be a fresh start for the band, and a very good choice in all aspects, but Tuomas needs to reconsider his musical direction, as the Disney-tique/fairytale/soundtrack themed composition in the recent album might not work with Floor.
Which I doubt he will if he is already trying to compose a soundtrack album again :\
16.08.2013 - 18:46
Jiri

Quote:
We don't know how this might work out. For all we know, she'll be announced as the new vocalist (both sides certainly sound like they would like to work together, from what I've read) and the next album will be...I don't want to say "better" than the Annette material, since I quite enjoy it myself and didn't actually mind her in Nightwish (granted, I've never seen them live), but maybe more in line with the Tarja material (which I don't know much of, but what I have heard is certainly very enjoyable).

Personally, I'm on the fence whether it would be good to have Floor in Nightwish, since her current band would not really be able to do much while she is with Nightwish (not that I'm complaining about that: I wasn't fond of ReVamp's first album) and some people would complain that it means After Forever is almost guaranteed to never reform, but we would get a vocalist who can perform music from both eras of Nightwish without necessarily being an impersonator of either Tarja or Annette and it would encourage people to check out both ReVamp and After Forever (if they haven't already) to see what Floor is capable of with material that was written for her voice.

You're right, we don't know. However, they have been dragging their feet on announcing her as the new vocalist. It won't happen. Even if it does, Tuomas isn't writing the new album with her vocals in mind. He is just writing music for any vocalist. If he was sure Floor was his vocalist, he probably would have started the writing process for her vocals. Who knows, maybe he is. Maybe he is holding suspense. But it is kind of getting ridiculous now. Floor has been touring with the band for almost a year now. Would he really wait four more months to announce that the vocalist is the woman who has already been singing with the band for such a long time? I am doubtful. If she is to be their new singer, t'would have been disclosed by now. Poor Floor...
16.08.2013 - 19:14
Nemo Atkins

Quote:
Written by Jiri on 16.08.2013 at 18:46

You're right, we don't know. However, they have been dragging their feet on announcing her as the new vocalist. It won't happen. Even if it does, Tuomas isn't writing the new album with her vocals in mind. He is just writing music for any vocalist. If he was sure Floor was his vocalist, he probably would have started the writing process for her vocals. Who knows, maybe he is. Maybe he is holding suspense. But it is kind of getting ridiculous now. Floor has been touring with the band for almost a year now. Would he really wait four more months to announce that the vocalist is the woman who has already been singing with the band for such a long time? I am doubtful. If she is to be their new singer, t'would have been disclosed by now. Poor Floor...

Fair point. On the other hand, she was originally called up just to fill in for the tour, which did have a lot of announced shows before it started. Some singers do later go on to join the band they did touring vocals for (Tommy Karevik sung a few songs for Kamelot before he joined them, although I suppose that was more a gigantic audition process which included a tour...), so who knows?

All I'm hoping for at the minute is that, if Tuomas doesn't ask Floor to join Nightwish, he also doesn't get someone who sounds like Anette. Again, I don't dislike Anette's vocals with Nightwish, but I rather doubt fans of Anette and Tarja would be happy with an Anette sound alike. Then again, I doubt they would be happy with a Tarja sound alike, so I kind of get the feeling they need someone who doesn't sound like either vocalist, but can sing material from both vocalists confidently...I wonder what Amanda Somerville is doing these days?

(OK, kidding about Amanda Somerville...)
16.08.2013 - 20:04
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Wow he is extremely lax about the situation, I always thought it was his arrogance but this kind of stuff can be extremely stressful and taxing so maybe this is a better way to handle it after all.

Anyway I can only hope that they choose Floor for the new material and I would be super stoked if they also did re-recordings of Dark Passion and Imaginaerum with Floor as well! lol maybe one day...
----
pewpew.. gotcha
16.08.2013 - 20:13
Feng

"Yeah, a bit more like a band album, because we have kinda searched this orchestral, really varied spectrum to its maximum now, that how I feel."

I highly doubt this means a direct return to pre Once material, but I'm now quite excited about the prospect of something that might sound a bit more old school!
16.08.2013 - 21:45
jesterhead57

New vocalist... now I'm actually looking forward to this.
16.08.2013 - 22:49
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I never even thought that Floor will stay as the permanent vocalist as she's with her Revamp project (thought she was brilliant with Nightwish). Quite intrigued about a new vocalist, hopefully we'll get a decent metal singer this time.
16.08.2013 - 23:24
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
I will find this band interesting again if they bring a good female vocalist, like Onielar from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, but I doubt that will ever happen
17.08.2013 - 01:41
X5452
Account deleted
Nightwish damn well knows that Floor is perfect as a vocalist, it's all about whether she has time to be doing it full time, which is why they are waiting to announce it.
17.08.2013 - 04:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nemo Atkins on 16.08.2013 at 19:14

...I wonder what Amanda Somerville is doing these days?

I don't think she'd be a bad choice, actually. What about Linnea Vikstrom? She didn't get to do much with Therion.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.08.2013 - 07:48
mikeprado30

If they only... if they only think about ELISA C. MARTIN She would rock there and she REALLY would give a fresh air to the NW music...

But nowadays she is with Hamka working in their next album, and Spanish musicians are not so valued in the Euro Metal world.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
17.08.2013 - 11:15
Nemo Atkins

Written by M C Vice on 17.08.2013 at 04:36

...I wonder what Amanda Somerville is doing these days?

I don't think she'd be a bad choice, actually. What about Linnea Vikstrom? She didn't get to do much with Therion.

Not heard about Linnea (I've never listened to Therion), so I can't say anything about her. Although that does give me something to listen to if I get enough free time...

I'm not so sure Amanda Somerville would really fit in Nightwish. Yeah, she has the range to pull it off, but I think the Tarja fanatics would want to hear someone who can sing in an operatic style when they hear material she sang on (assuming they'll accept anyone other than Tarja on vocals in Nightwish...). Maybe she'd be a good choice for the Anette material, but the Tarja material? I'd need to hear her sing on that first before I could say with any certainty how that would work out, but, based on my current knowledge of her voice (which is pretty much confined to Avantasia, so that's next to nothing), I'm skeptical.

End of the day, I honestly think Floor would be the best choice, since she can do the singing styles required to pull off the material of both eras. If that doesn't happen, I can only pity whoever else is picked for the vocalist job if they aren't able to do the same...

(As a minor off topic comment, I'm slightly reminded of what happened in Iced Earth: the person who had to replace Barlow the second time also had the challenge of material done with Tim Owens. At least they found Stu Block for that one!)
17.08.2013 - 11:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nemo Atkins on 17.08.2013 at 11:15

Written by M C Vice on 17.08.2013 at 04:36

Not heard about Linnea (I've never listened to Therion), so I can't say anything about her. Although that does give me something to listen to if I get enough free time...

She sang on Kings Of Edom and Hellequin, both off Sitra Ahra. She's still under 20 (I think) so Holopainen can still bend her to his (evil) will.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.08.2013 - 14:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hope Tarot will realise something good
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.08.2013 - 19:51
The Melting Snow

And i'm still hoping somehow they could get Tarja back. NW will never be my cup of tea without her again. -_-
17.08.2013 - 23:32
BrianStorm

Written by Bad English on 17.08.2013 at 14:45

I hope Tarot will realise something good

They need to get rid of Tommi Salmela first. At the very least, return him to roadie status.
18.08.2013 - 17:22
The Warrior
Account deleted
Just don't pick Floor
Pick another girl that is unknown please
we want a unique vocalist for the band
19.08.2013 - 02:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Guest on 18.08.2013 at 17:22

Just don't pick Floor
Pick another girl that is unknown please
we want a unique vocalist for the band

If it doesn't work out with Floor, someone completely unknown is probably the way to go.

However, Floor is unique.
19.08.2013 - 21:56
KainRich

I'd prefer a Marco vocals only Nightwish album. No need to bring in a new singer just because it's expected.
19.08.2013 - 21:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
About time
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.08.2013 - 13:51
HellriderRising

So, let's hold on.

Hits total: 5220 | This month: 2