02. The Chosen Ones
03. Nifelheim
04. My Raven's
05. Sacrifice
06. Helheimsfard
07. The Deceiver Shall Repent
08. Post Ragnarok
09. Our Legacy

As redundant as the whole Viking/Norse Mythology theme can get within metal, every now and then you see a band come along who actually do make it interesting, and inject the cliché nature of it with a strong, focused sense of direction. While Fire Meets Ice from the Swedish Ereb Altor might not be all that jaw dropping-ly original, it's certainly powerful and hard-hitting, and is good testament to the fact that Pagan Black Metal isn't just some overdone, tasteless style, and actually still has some life left in it.

Fire Meets Ice kicks off with the title track, a 9 minute opener with nice little piano intro, an excellent blend of clean and black metal vocals, and a very good deal of? doom? Yes, doom. The overall tempos and riffage on Fire Meets Ice follow along a very steady, epic pace, and in many ways this helps to better reinforce the whole Viking theme. Indeed, the rhythms of many of the tracks can often give the listener the impression of a 10th-century Norse legion marching off to war ("The Chosen Ones," the middle of "Nifelheim," and "Sacrifice," in particular). There's a very masculine (though somehow not too cheesy) vibe that follows along this theme throughout Fire And Ice, as if the tracks are all ceremonial battle tunes of some sort: perfect for having a few ales with your buddies before embarking on a crusade to dispel those annoying Jehovah's Witnesses from your front doorstep.

In addition, Ereb Altor's 2013 effort strikes a very commendable balance of sound throughout its duration. Aside from the blend of the clean vocals and the shrieks, music-wise there's also a nice blend of heavier tracks ("Helheimsfard," "Post Ragnarok,") and some more epic tracks that even feel a little ballad-y at some points ("Nifelheim," "My Ravens," "Our Legacy"). It's a neat delivery, because it somewhat feels as if the band were trying to capture two sides of the Viking heritage with these approaches: the battle-loving warrior on the one side, and the spiritual journey-seeker on the other.

Fire Meets Ice honestly sounds a lot like a modern take on Viking-era Bathory. The delivery is very reminiscent of Twilight Of The Gods: catchy, riff-heavy guitar parts, some more relaxed melodies, deep, operatic clean vocals, and some extra black metal elements thrown in to make the formula a bit more interesting. Ereb Altor come across as the natural heirs to Quorthon with this release, and while it may not be creative to the point of knocking you flat off your ass, it certainly is a force to be reckoned with, and well worth checking out for any serious fan of black, viking, or doom metal. Give it a peek over here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 17.08.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 227 users
18.08.2013 - 12:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Never really enjoyed ereb Altor, and the same goes for this new one. I prefer their output as Isole by miles.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2013 - 14:49
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2013 at 12:25

Never really enjoyed ereb Altor, and the same goes for this new one. I prefer their output as Isole by miles.

Strange, usually when a band went by another name it says it on their profile... what would you recommend from Isole?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.08.2013 - 15:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.08.2013 at 14:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2013 at 12:25

Strange, usually when a band went by another name it says it on their profile... what would you recommend from Isole?

Ereb Altor is a different band than Isole. Both bands co-exist with Isole playing epic doom and Ereb Altor playing Bathory type stuff. That's why tey have two bands because of the different music both play.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2013 - 15:36
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.08.2013 at 15:28

Ereb Altor is a different band than Isole. Both bands co-exist with Isole playing epic doom and Ereb Altor playing Bathory type stuff. That's why tey have two bands because of the different music both play.

Ah, ok. Well, if the ratings on here are any indication, Throne Of Void looks like a good place to start with them. I'll put it on my Listen To list
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.08.2013 - 15:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Isole have an alter ego? An Ereb Altor ego?... should see myself out for that, sorry.

This is sounding great so far, there's much doom in it as you say and both bands have a similar "epic" feel to them, though expressed in different styles I think. Throne Of Void is well worth checking out in my opinion, it's my preferred album from Isole.
18.08.2013 - 15:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
My favourite by Isole is Throne Of Void
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2013 - 16:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The only one I've heard by them is the latest which I really liked. I should check out more of Isole's discography.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2013 - 16:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2013 at 16:29

The only one I've heard by them is the latest which I really liked. I should check out more of Isole's discography.

I love how this turned into a convo about a whole different band
Though if it has members from Ereb Altor in it I'm sure I'll dig it. I'll get around to checking out Isole when I'm not busy smoking pot and praising Baphomet.
----

~ II. VII
18.08.2013 - 17:37
Erik M.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.08.2013 at 15:36

Ah, ok. Well, if the ratings on here are any indication, Throne Of Void looks like a good place to start with them. I'll put it on my Listen To list

All Isole albums are rated between 8.2-8.4 by MS users and the album Born From Shadows has a 9.0 review while Marcel gave an 8.2 to Throne of Void in his review. Anyway, indeed a great band although I've only heard Forevermore and Bliss of Solitude. Out of those I prefer the latter (which was a good introduction to the band as well).

Also checked out Ereb Altor's debut and while I liked it, it didn't make me want to check out their other albums. Still, your review makes me interested in this, so I might check it out.
18.08.2013 - 17:56
Susan
Smeghead
Written by R'Vannith on 18.08.2013 at 15:50

Isole have an alter ego? An Ereb Altor ego?... should see myself out for that, sorry.

LOL!!

I had no idea they were the same dudes. Loved their last album; can't wait to hear this one!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.11.2013 - 11:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Erik M. on 18.08.2013 at 17:37

All Isole albums are rated between 8.2-8.4 by MS users and the album Born From Shadows has a 9.0 review while Marcel gave an 8.2 to Throne of Void in his review. Anyway, indeed a great band although I've only heard Forevermore and Bliss of Solitude. Out of those I prefer the latter (which was a good introduction to the band as well).

Also checked out Ereb Altor's debut and while I liked it, it didn't make me want to check out their other albums. Still, your review makes me interested in this, so I might check it out.

Brilliant, this is exactly what the reviewer might have wanted for a review of this album.

Written by Auntie Sahar on 18.08.2013 at 16:54

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.08.2013 at 16:29

I love how this turned into a convo about a whole different band
Though if it has members from Ereb Altor in it I'm sure I'll dig it. I'll get around to checking out Isole when I'm not busy smoking pot and praising Baphomet.

I saw this record in a couple of sites and got baffled that it was labeled Viking, there is so little viking in it, atleast the viking that most bands play. Quite good stuff indeed.
06.11.2013 - 11:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
On the other hand I haven't heard Isole and won't bother with it anytime soon unless they put out a new record this year that is.
22.04.2016 - 17:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 06.11.2013 at 11:16

On the other hand I haven't heard Isole and won't bother with it anytime soon unless they put out a new record this year that is.

funny Isole was main band, this wa slike later, I did not know about this band up to late 2014 when Jona sLIndström shared music ,.. I knew Isole long time now
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7025 | This month: 9