01. Resurrection Of The Wild
02. Martyrium
03. Despot
04. Blodssvik
05. Fagning
06. On The Mountain Of Goats
07. Dauden
08. Ætti Mørkna

Many people were shocked to hear about the tragic death of Bathroy frontman and creator, Quorthon, but as much influential he might be to the Metal scene, another great musician passed away at the end of this year, I'm talking about Windir's vocalist, founder and main composer, Terje Bakken a.k.a. Valfar.

Valfar left behind him a great legacy called Windir, a Black Metal band that I suppose most of you are aware of. Personally I don't like to define Windir as a Black Metal band, but as a Viking Metal band, because the Folk Influences are very present. The music, and the Nordic themes are also there.
The album is not your average Black Metal album, first, count with a superb production, and a wonderful illustration graces the cover art.

The album starts with the epic "Resurrection Of The Wild". A fantastic piece where each part falls just in piece with the next one. The use of clean choruses gives the song a sensational feeling of one being in some Norwegian landscape. Next is "Martyrium", my favorite song in the album, the Folk melodies in this song intertwine perfectly with the choruses and the guitar leads, creating one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had with a Black Metal album.

Keyboards play a mayor role in the music, giving always the perfect dose of atmosphere necessary to create the desired effect. The shrieks of Valfar are perfect, because they're not too high, and although it seems impossible for a Black Metal singer to do, he sings following each melody of the album.

Almost each song is an anthem filled with blast beats countered by excellent Folk parts and catchy melodies, and those clean choruses, they're just great! At the end of "Blodssvik" you'll find some cool choirs too.

Sadly, Windir broke up after Valfar's passing, and they're playing their last gig on Sept. 3 2004, the day Valfar would have turned 26. Also that day, a last Windir album will be out, a double tribute/best of album. Windir is gone, Valfar is gone, what a great lost for the Metal community! At least we have this great album to remind us that once there was a great band called Windir.

Written by Undercraft | 15.06.2004

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 326 users
28.12.2006 - 04:06
Rating: 8
W-Lash
Metal Master
Why didn't you mention Fagning? It's probably one of the best Windir songs ever (and the only one really cool song from THIS album in my point of view).
05.04.2008 - 10:40
FOOCK Nam

1184 is such a masterpiece when they musician joined together to write music. Im sure that this one also is another masterpiece of them
11.11.2009 - 22:20
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
''Martyrium'' is truly the best song in this work.

Not the best Windir effort imo, but since they(he) have never released anything bad, this is a valuable piece of music.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
11.10.2018 - 20:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Valfar left behind him a great legacy called Windir, a Black Metal band that I suppose most of you are aware of. Personally I don't like to define Windir as a Black Metal band, but as a Viking Metal band, because the Folk Influences are very present. The music, and the Nordic themes are also there.
The album is not your average Black Metal album, first, count with a superb production, and a wonderful illustration graces the cover art.

Wise words, I say this it true BM what runes away from st. annic and evil themes what creator bands did and worship, thats why it went further above horizon and had mor opportunities. iwould say if it would be in 80's and BM would not existed, and valfar whoul be Tomas, his dead would be memoriesed and summoned as Tomas has now.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 11188 | This month: 10