10. Acid Rain

Additional info
Label: Warner Bros.
Producer: Mike Elizondo

Guest review by
FatherOfBodom
Rating:
N/A
Ok, so before I start spewing off my meaningless opinions into the blogosphere and acting like people should read them, I must admit something about the piece I am about to write. I am like Avenged Sevenfold's high school girlfriend. We had a blast on our first date (Waking The Fallen), and made love all night for a while (City Of Evil). Then he stopped buying me a lot of nice stuff, but he really still loved me (Avenged Sevenfold). At one point, I thought he cheated on me with commercial rock, but he really didn't (Nightmare). I will probably always love Avenged Sevenfold, and may be the most biased person to speak of this; however, if a band I'm dating releases crap, I'll say it's crap. With that being said, I consider their latest release, Hail To The King, make-up sex.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2013 | Comments (10)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 82   Visited by: 888 users
09.09.2013 - 23:30
Rating: 4
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Having heard the whole album I must say that this shit is even worse than the previous one. a TOTALLY SHAMELESS ripoff of more famous, better bands. How can people not hear it. Are they deaf or plainly stupid? Every song on this album has its original, always better counterpart that was recorded by a better band years ago.

But don't take my word for it, read what Machine Head's Rob Flynn has to say about the album (thanks Birgit for the link):
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machine-head-congratulates-avenged-sevenfold-on-success-of-their-covers-album/
10.09.2013 - 07:08
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 09.09.2013 at 23:30

Having heard the whole album I must say that this shit is even worse than the previous one. a TOTALLY SHAMELESS ripoff of more famous, better bands. How can people not hear it. Are they deaf or plainly stupid? Every song on this album has its original, always better counterpart that was recorded by a better band years ago.

But don't take my word for it, read what Machine Head's Rob Flynn has to say about the album (thanks Birgit for the link):
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/machine-head-congratulates-avenged-sevenfold-on-success-of-their-covers-album/

Yeah I agree with you and Rob. This is my friend's new favorite album and I love to give him shit about it. Its awful.
10.09.2013 - 10:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

what Machine Head's Rob Flynn has to say about the album (thanks Birgit for the link):

His entries sometimes sounds smelling excreta and should be avoided as much people can. Instead, Robb should start focusing on Machine's new album. I heard they're in writing process.

speaking about A7X, no fucking tributes, no fucking classic. This new record is a total rip off of "Nightmare".
10.09.2013 - 12:25
(o> . <o> )
I feel like I heard everything, just in a more boring fashion this time. Rip off album peaking the charts. Honestly, it's a shit.
12.09.2013 - 23:09
Mattybu

good god. If he is right, and I assume he is, of all the Metallica to rip off they do the black album. the thought of listening to this band ever makes me want to think happier thoughts.... kids with leprosy in 3rd world countries... getting your organs stolen and sold on the black market in thailand... ah much better.

you would think with badass nicknames like Johnny Christ and Zacky Vengeance these guys would be the best! guess not.
13.09.2013 - 09:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Speaking to Canadian radio station 106.9 The Bear, Shadows had this to say about how he found out:

Quote:
"Actually, [Fozzy singer/pro-wrestler] Chris Jericho sent it to me [Tuesday] morning. He's, like, 'Dude, look at this B.S.' [He was] going crazy. And I was, like, 'Ah, Chris, I love you.' But I read it, and I read it as a joke. I have met Robb on numerous occasions and he's always been cool to me. And I just read it as a joke. I really don't know what to say about it other than I agree with him on the [Metallica] 'Sad But True' thing ? that was obviously an inspiration for that song. Everything else, I kind of think he? If it is a joke, it was kind of overboard, 'cause it doesn't make sense in my mind. But at the same time, he was saying it was a joke, so? I have no ill will towards those guys. I've met [Machine Head guitarist] Phil [Demmel] a couple of times; he's cool. Robb is cool. And I think the guy has the right to go make? if it's really a joke, in his mind? Some people might see it as being as an underhanded? joke. But, to me, if he just wants to go in there and write whatever he wants, I think that's totally cool. Everyone has an opinion and everyone should be entitled to say whatever they want. So it's no skin off our backs."

it's all snarky cool?!
15.09.2013 - 05:49
Rating: 5
Kuroboshi
This sounds like a more well-produced, cleaner version of post-"black album" Metallica. Not awful, but insanely predictable.
15.09.2013 - 20:08
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.09.2013 at 09:05

it's all snarky cool?!

Respect for A7X goes up.
Respect for Machine Head goes DOOOOOOWWWWNNNN!

Seriously, he has no jurisdiction saying junk like that, considering he dived face first into the nu metal genre and started ripping off Limp Bizkit when it was popular.
16.09.2013 - 00:15
10/10 heres why:

18.09.2013 - 11:08
Rating: 8
MetalAce
The Eternal
Question:
What would make people hate this one?
Hey! I am serious really why? This band listed as one of top 25 bands of all time. . . but 160 here?
18.09.2013 - 12:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by MetalAce on 18.09.2013 at 11:08

Question:
Hey! I am serious really why? This band listed as one of top 25 bands of all time. . . but 160 here?

what would make people hate this album? Well, the total rip-off it is of other bands.
And who in their right mind would rate this band in a top 25 bands of all time?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2013 - 12:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I never had any intention of listening to this album, but now I want to hear whether this really is as much of a "rip-off" album, as some people have been suggesting. There is a difference between sounding similar to, and actually being a "rip-off", but many people confuse the two. It'll be interesting to hear just how much of a "rip-off" this album really is... Oh good, it's on spotify! I'll listen to it in a couple of minutes after I've fed the cat. hehe
18.09.2013 - 12:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2013 at 12:53

I never had any intention of listening to this album, but now I want to hear whether this really is as much of a "rip-off" album, as some people have been suggesting. There is a difference between sounding similar to, and actually being a "rip-off", but many people confuse the two. It'll be interesting to hear just how much of a "rip-off" this album really is... Oh good, it's on spotify! I'll listen to it in a couple of minutes after I've fed the cat. hehe

oh yes it is a rip-off album, when you listen to it you can even clearly state which songs by which band they ripped-ff for their own songs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2013 - 12:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2013 at 12:53

and I would even dare say the skull with wings on the cover is a rip-off and not an influence as well
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2013 - 13:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 12:56
oh yes it is a rip-off album, when you listen to it you can even clearly state which songs by which band they ripped-ff for their own songs

Okay, I've just finished listening to the first song "Shepherd Of Fire", and although there are differences in the notes used, rhythm patterns, and the hooks, structurally, and production wise, it sounds like a castrated version of "Enter Sandman"! The intro, the way it breaks down after the solo, and the bass and drums fading out in the outro instantly made me think of that song. Even the drums sound exactly like the sound Lars had on the Black Album! Some people thought "Enter Sandman" was a sell out and commercial, yet this sounds like a wimpier version of it.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 12:58
and I would even dare say the skull with wings on the cover is a rip-off and not an influence as well

Oh yes... I've long seen that as a cheap looking rip-off of Chaley the winged Skull which is Overkill's mascot. lol
18.09.2013 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.09.2013 at 13:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 12:56

Okay, I've just finished listening to the first song "Shepherd Of Fire", and although there are differences in the notes used, rhythm patterns, and the hooks, structurally, and production wise, it sounds like a castrated version of "Enter Sandman"! The intro, the way it breaks down after the solo, and the bass and drums fading out in the outro instantly made me think of that song. Even the drums sound exactly like the sound Lars had on the Black Album! Some people thought "Enter Sandman" was a sell out and commercial, yet this sounds like a wimpier version of it.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 12:58

Oh yes... I've long seen that as a cheap looking rip-off of Chaley the winged Skull which is Overkill's mascot. lol

the second song is clearly Thunderstruck the third clearly Guns 'n' Roses, track four is Sad But True. Crimson Day is a cross of Nothing Else Matters and November Rain. Heretic is Megadeth and Coming Home is Iron Maiden.

So, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and let's not call it a rip-off album but a covers album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.09.2013 - 14:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 13:30
the second song is clearly Thunderstruck the third clearly Guns 'n' Roses, track four is Sad But True. Crimson Day is a cross of Nothing Else Matters and November Rain. Heretic is Megadeth and Coming Home is Iron Maiden.

So, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and let's not call it a rip-off album but a covers album

Hey, you should have waited to see if I made the same comparisons! The "Thunderstruck" comparison is only slight, and I might not have even have picked up on it on my own esteem, but it's definitely AC/DC influenced. "Doing Time" is clearly the band trying to sound like G n' R, right down to the vocalist trying his hardest to sound like Axl. It totally lacks the raw attitude and aggression of prime G n' R though. It doesn't appear to be a rip-off of any specific Guns track though...

"This Means War" really does rip off "Sad But True"! The main riff is very similar, whilst the vocal patterns during the verses mimic James' almost to a tee, right down to the added emphasis being placed on the first word of every sentence during the verse. And the first part of the solo is clearly an "homage" to Kirk's solo in "Sad But True". The production also sounds very much like the "Black Album". Only it's wimpier chorus, it's little bit of melody in the intro and 2nd half of the solo, and the singer lacking the aggression and power of James seperates it from Metallica's song. This one is absolutely a rip-off!
18.09.2013 - 18:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.09.2013 at 13:30

Rob Flynn did post on his blog that this is the best covers album released all year, or in a long time, or something like that.

I have been wondering as well if the title was a print typo and they just decided to run with it, because Hail To The Kings seems much more apt.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

18.09.2013 - 20:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Having listened to the album in full... I'd say overall, there isn't a great deal of wholesale rip-offs in terms of making carbon copies of actual songs, but there are certainly a few moments where you're thinking "hang on, I've heard this somewhere before!" I guess it depends where you draw the line, does a riff have to simply "sound similar" to another riff to be ripping it off, or does it need to be an exact copy of it? Certainly, this album features far more music that falls into the former, rather than the latter category. "Heretic" really sounds like something the more commercial Megadeth would have came up with, the verses reminding me a little of "Symphony Of Destruction" in their structure and presentation, even if the riff isn't the same. The little melodic breakdown shortly after the 2nd chorus also made me instantly think of the melodic breakdown in Megadeth's "Reckoning Day" that appears just before that song's final chorus. The intro to "Coming Home" had me going mad trying to think of which Maiden song it was aping, even if the song as a whole isn't a direct copy of any Maiden song. lol

In the end, I think to call the whole album a "covers album" is going overboard, and is definitely an exaggeration, but there are certainly enough moments where they are clearly trying to imitate other bands, rather than just being influenced by them, that it really damages the album. Because everything on this album has been done a lot better by the bands they are trying to sound like. Their older material may have attracted much scorn in the metal community (outwith mainstream circles), but at least they didn't sound like copycats...
18.09.2013 - 22:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Their should be no fuss about "rip off". It's clearly a cover album and more importantly it's yawning.

Even if they record to express Shadow's musical taste, still they incredibly failed. only thing i liked about is that this time they didn't include anything about Rev Sullivan. *eat uncle chips*.
20.09.2013 - 22:49
Rating: 6
Himedal
Listened to a couple of songs and found them pretty boring. same riffs. drum sucks really since the drummer has no creativity of changing drums. Reminds me of the boring playing of Ulrich.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
20.09.2013 - 23:01
Rating: 6
Himedal
Written by MetalAce on 18.09.2013 at 11:08

Question:

The answer is simple. Because real metalheads are here. Who would really rate this band top 25? no seriously?
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
04.10.2013 - 04:54
Rating: 8
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
This album is great, more "Metallica" sound and more groove oriented, Just check this out "This Means War" .
Alternative hard-rock groove new wave of American heavy metal .
My final rating is "8.7" .

06.10.2013 - 15:33
musicalkaratekid
People know what I'm going to say just by looking at the rating I gave. Let's face it, 80% of this album is simply covers. Or the next best thing, if you like. However, that's not the reason why I dislike this album. It's just that A7X have now seemingly lost whatever talent or originality made 'Nightmare' such a good album (Good I say, not great, before everyone throws hate mail my way), and on 'Hail to the king', it doesn't even seem like they're trying. It sounds as if they took a step back and decided to stop, well, trying so hard to make the album they wanted to make. The band probably think that this is their career-defining record, but it's not even the least bit inspirational or original. That said, 'Crimson day' and 'Planets' are the two highlights of "Hail to the king", but that's not really enough to make the album itself any more than a tedious affair. The other problem I have is that none of the songs really explode, the pace never really speeding up. I know, I should have expected the album to sound like this before even listening to it, but that's the thing. I did believe that what people were saying about this album was sometimes a little unfair, so now I'm agreeing whole-heartedly with them. All in all, not an absolutely terrible album, just terribly bland and unoriginal.
06.10.2013 - 19:01
Rating: 9
Saeid
07.11.2013 - 17:12
Doge of Venice
Written by musicalkaratekid on 06.10.2013 at 15:33

People know what I'm going to say just by looking at the rating I gave. Let's face it, 80% of this album is simply covers. Or the next best thing, if you like. However, that's not the reason why I dislike this album. It's just that A7X have now seemingly lost whatever talent or originality made 'Nightmare' such a good album (Good I say, not great, before everyone throws hate mail my way), and on 'Hail to the king', it doesn't even seem like they're trying. It sounds as if they took a step back and decided to stop, well, trying so hard to make the album they wanted to make. The band probably think that this is their career-defining record, but it's not even the least bit inspirational or original. That said, 'Crimson day' and 'Planets' are the two highlights of "Hail to the king", but that's not really enough to make the album itself any more than a tedious affair. The other problem I have is that none of the songs really explode, the pace never really speeding up. I know, I should have expected the album to sound like this before even listening to it, but that's the thing. I did believe that what people were saying about this album was sometimes a little unfair, so now I'm agreeing whole-heartedly with them. All in all, not an absolutely terrible album, just terribly bland and unoriginal.

I do agree somewhat with this.

However, personally Acid Rain is the best song on the album. And the Iron Maiden-alike Coming Home is pretty good too. I wish Shadows does more vocals in a similar vein. That style suits his voice. Planets and Crimson Day are the other highlights, yes.
27.11.2013 - 09:40
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Daniell on 02.09.2013 at 10:09

Why can't they have their own ideas?

Why can't they even rip something off correctly?
27.11.2013 - 09:46
Rating: 4
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Monolithic on 27.11.2013 at 09:40

Why can't they even rip something off correctly?

They rip off correctly. Their songs would be quite decent if they weren't ripoffs.
27.11.2013 - 09:52
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Daniell on 27.11.2013 at 09:46

They rip off correctly. Their songs would be quite decent if they weren't ripoffs.

I dunno if I'm right, but I get the feeling this was supposed to be a "tribute" or something like that to cover up their lack of ideas. In my case, it doesn't give me the impression that they just ripped off a riff or solo here and there, it's like they tried so hard to ripoff "Sad But True" but ended up with a generic copy of Metallica's music and put it there.
28.11.2013 - 10:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Monolithic on 27.11.2013 at 09:52

I dunno if I'm right, but I get the feeling this was supposed to be a "tribute" or something like that to cover up their lack of ideas. In my case, it doesn't give me the impression that they just ripped off a riff or solo here and there, it's like they tried so hard to ripoff "Sad But True" but ended up with a generic copy of Metallica's music and put it there.

From what little I've heard of the album, it seems like they were in cover mode when they decided to write this album.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 16988 | This month: 45