07. Rec
08. M
09. Sub Äter
10. See
11. Entropie [limited edition bonus]
12. Hel [limited edition bonus]

The Best Avantgarde/Experimental Metal Album Of 2013

Additional info
Recorded and produced by Ihsahn at Mnemosyne Studio, except drums recorded at Jake Joint Studio.
Mixed and mastered at Fascination Street Studios by Jens Bogren.

Design by Ritxi Ostáriz.
Photos by Heidi S. Tveitan.

Recorded with support from "Fond for lyd og bilde".

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
At this point into his career, I think it's pretty fair to say that Ihsahn has developed a very "love it or hate it" type of vibe with his solo work. Either you love the man's introspective mind and the creative twists and turns he takes his music on (*raises hand*), or you think that this "extreme progressive" shit is all just a bunch of superfluous fluff, and he needs to get over himself and get back to some As The Shadows Rise-esque material. While Ihsahn's first efforts did generally contain enough BM elements to keep some of the kvlt pvrists pleased, it was 2010's After that saw him embarking on some more daring and unconventional voyages, a pattern he's continued ever since, and which arguably comes full circle with his fifth effort.

Read more ››
published 23.10.2013 | Comments (15)

Guest review by
ManiacBlasphemer
Rating:
Das Seelenbrechen marks the 5th release of Norwegian musician Ihsahn. Vegard "Ihsahn" Tveitan is a musician who has been around ever since the early 1990's releasing material under different monikers. We have his work in Emperor which is highly regarded and after Emperor disbanded, he continued his musical path with the band his wife founded, Peccatum. In both bands, Ihsahn managed to release memorable material and it was only after both projects were dropped that he began focusing on his solo career.

Read more ››
published 24.08.2014 | Comments (1)

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 666 users
25.08.2013 - 15:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Wow, so soon after Eremita. Bring it!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
25.08.2013 - 16:08
Rating: 7
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Ihsahn is one of few artists who can truly do no wrong Can't wait to hear this
25.08.2013 - 19:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
So soon! Weird songtitles, wonder what crazy concept he got into this time.
25.08.2013 - 20:09
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 25.08.2013 at 19:55

Any idea what the source was for the track listing? The only only site I found with the info also doesn't list source info, and Ihsahn himself hasn't released the list yet to my knowledge.

I was looking for this as well, didn't find it but it seems the cd is already out there for press reviews. Here is one of them by Photograve f.e:

Quote:
"Few artists in modern heavy music have created such an extraordinary and unique body of work as Ihsahn. Having refined and redefined black metal with the now legendary Emperor, Norway's foremost musical extremist has spent the last decade establishing himself as a fearless and wildly idiosyncratic solo artist, but even by his own remarkable standards, Ihsahn's fifth solo album Das Seelenbrechen is a bold and mind-blowing step into the unknown.

In contrast to the adventurous progressive shades and saxophone augmentations of his last two albums - After (2009) and Eremita (2011) - this latest masterpiece exists in an entirely unfamiliar sonic world, as Ihsahn draws upon his most esoteric influences, embraces the spirit of the avant-garde and creates a sonic tapestry like no other.

Comprising ten vivid but disparate explorations in sound that range from bittersweet electronica to deranged and feral improvisation, Das Seelenbrechen is every bit as dark and destructive as the artist's previous work, but this is a far more disorientating and disturbing creation than anything he has attempted in the past.

From the obtuse structures and mutant riffing of opener Hiber and the staccato grooves of NaCl through to the brooding electro balladry of Pulse, the churning, amorphous dissonance of Tacit 2 and the simply terrifying sonic sprawl of the closing See, this is the sound of a ferocious talent plunging into ominous new waters with nothing but the unerring pursuit of creative purity in mind.

Recorded at his own studio in Norway in collaboration with drummer Tobias Ørnes Andersen (also of prog crew Leprous), Das Seelenbrechen eschews traditional metal instrumentation in favour of a limitless textural landscape that evokes the freewheeling spirit of artists like Diamanda Galas and Scott Walker, while remaining firmly rooted in the pitch-black well of inspiration that first informed Ihsahn's work back in the Emperor days.

There is nothing quite like this album and there is no one quite like Ihsahn. Listen without prejudice and expect to be taken on a bewildering journey through the outer limits of heaviness."
25.08.2013 - 20:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Oh wow, it's coming out this year? Cool! Can't wait to hear it!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.08.2013 - 21:27
MechanisT
Account deleted
Owkay... so this should be good.
07.09.2013 - 00:58
SordiDControlleR

~No fiddling on the piano for this one! GUARANTEED!
----
~SordiDControlleR~
11.09.2013 - 05:36
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Ripped from a radio stream so don't bitch about sound quality, yet.
27.09.2013 - 20:24
Dave FC

Here

http://skullsnbones.com/listen-to-a-new-song-from-ihsahn-now/

Soooo strange song. This probably is just the intro.... hmmm
19.10.2013 - 00:40
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Not funny.
19.10.2013 - 17:33
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Really not sure what to think of this. It starts out well then it all just goes downhill.
19.10.2013 - 21:11
God Alone

Not that I dislike it (quite the contrary), but I just couldn't figure out what the hell was happening during the last track.
It surely needs more listens, btw.
21.10.2013 - 07:11
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Dayum good, I really enjoyed this. Ihsahn never fails. Not much metal here and totally avant-garde but interesting record overall. A lotta ambient passages like...... Njiqahdda without the metal parts. Drumming is awesome as usual courtesy of that fucking amazingly talented guys from Leprous.
21.10.2013 - 08:23
BenWasHere

Written by BaneConall on 19.10.2013 at 17:33

Really not sure what to think of this. It starts out well then it all just goes downhill.

This is how I felt
the first three songs are really good, the fourth is okay, then the tacits and after are kind of scary...
23.10.2013 - 14:55
Rating: 9
Atrus

It grows. Very good album, enjoyable, with great moments. (except See)
Now I need the following Ihsahn record
23.10.2013 - 14:56
Rating: 9
Atrus

Tacit2 + Tacit are realy epic. Indeed Tacit is the best moment of the album.
23.10.2013 - 15:50
Rating: 8
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Good and interesting album but maybe a bit too chaotic in some moments.
23.10.2013 - 16:10
Rating: 4
Warman
Erotic Stains
Ihsahn just gets worse and worse. The first album was great, the two thereafter good. After that it just goes downhill.
----
23.10.2013 - 22:33
Diverge

I immediately thought this was a step up from his last album; so obviously I was pleasantly surprised.
26.10.2013 - 21:34
PocketMetal

This one is really good , the other ones I forgot after some time ... really weird but great album.
29.10.2013 - 19:45
Groby94

The first 4 songs are brilliant. Unfortunately, after that I didn't understand much .
31.10.2013 - 20:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I don't like the direction it takes after Tacit, it abruptly goes from rhythmically structured songs to these very loose and formless tracks. Maybe if these were shared differently between the first six it would be better, it really looses my attention towards the end.
That said, Regen is one of the best tunes I've heard this year!
03.11.2013 - 07:16
Stabby
Account deleted
The loss of coherency later in the album is to represent the soulbreaking, the severing of mind and essence. Tacit 2 and Tacit are when that happens and then afterwards is the final descent into madness, and Ihsahn's attempt to portray that musically. It works really well for me, especially Sub Alter. Though the bluesy guitar on M and the shitfuckery of See are questionable. He may have been able to do all of that better but I guess he likes his way of doing things. I don't intend to listen to the less coherent stuff very much but it works artistically.

I like that he's doing different things, hopefully he has something else in store soon, like comparable to the time he took between Eremita and this.
04.11.2013 - 19:01
musicalkaratekid

For me, this is Ihsahn at his most experimental and progressive. It also seems to be his "lightest" album-that is, the one with less emphasis on extreme metal influences (specifically the lack of harsh vocals and the odd blastbeat here and there) and a stronger focus on dynamic and ambient material. The album is thus split into two halves-The first, a more energetic, more immediate collection of songs, and the second, weirder sounding and more inclusion of other instruments such as the saxophone,etc. It's pretty damn good if I'm honest too, though I very rarely get disappointed by any of Ihsahn's material. Highlights for me are 'Hiber' and 'Tacit'.
13.11.2013 - 16:50
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Unhealer on 31.10.2013 at 20:47

I don't like the direction it takes after Tacit, it abruptly goes from rhythmically structured songs to these very loose and formless tracks.

It might be a bit avant-garde for your tastes. He's certainly ventured into that branch of metal in this album.
13.11.2013 - 23:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by LeKiwi on 13.11.2013 at 16:50

It might be a bit avant-garde for your tastes. He's certainly ventured into that branch of metal in this album.

Nah, usually I'm all up for crazy avant-garde. I think the problem is that it just goes too delicate and soft from there, that's a thing I don't like too much, specially if it's four songs in a row and to end an album
14.11.2013 - 01:34
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2013 at 23:52

Nah, usually I'm all up for crazy avant-garde. I think the problem is that it just goes too delicate and soft from there, that's a thing I don't like too much, specially if it's four songs in a row and to end an album

It certainly does mellow quite a bit in the tracks you mentioned. You could always rearrange the tracks to suit yourself This recurring issue regarding the order of tracks is one of the reasons why I never listen to albums from start to finish.
14.11.2013 - 04:44
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by LeKiwi on 14.11.2013 at 01:34

It certainly does mellow quite a bit in the tracks you mentioned. You could always rearrange the tracks to suit yourself This recurring issue regarding the order of tracks is one of the reasons why I never listen to albums from start to finish.

I thought of that many times and with many albums... but it's the way the artists intended us to listen to the album and it's definitely part of it, I refuse to do that
14.11.2013 - 05:48
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Unhealer on 14.11.2013 at 04:44

I thought of that many times and with many albums... but it's the way the artists intended us to listen to the album and it's definitely part of it, I refuse to do that

People have different approaches to listening to albums. Personally, I can't find the time to sit and listen to an album from start to finish and I rarely judge it in that manner. Although that's probably due to the volume of music I sift through on a daily and rather sporadic basis.
22.01.2014 - 23:19
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
3 first tracks are great, My final rating is "8.4" .

Hits total: 14349 | This month: 27