02. The Other
03. False Light
04. Carry
05. -
06. Maritime
07. Weight
08. From Sinking
09. Hym

I don't know how to react after hearing Oceanic. I feel relaxed and even doped as this album is really a huge and weird trip to another rare world. A band that mixes noisecore with ambient passages and is just marvelous (or weird, it depends on your ears), so let me tell you more about this CD.

The first track "The Beginning And The End" starts very strong, as the drums enter with a catchy beat and then after some melodic arrangements Turner presents incredible violent vocalizations giving the song that extra twitch we all love. The song is 8 minutes long and only a few of those minutes have vocals. The other parts of this track are just aggressive riffs, breakdowns, incredible bridges (check the one in the fifth minute) and a lot of atmospheric sequences.

Definitely the best song in Oceanic is "Carry". It starts with a weird ambient sequence, some wind instruments and a great environment. After almost 4 minutes of interesting, talented, and magnificent music the entire song collapses - every instrument performs violently, the screams become more hostile, the drumming is irregular and there's one of the coolest riffs ever in this genre (5:36). The whole melody of this song is spectacular so this track in fact sums up what Oceanic is all about.

After the fourth track the actual high trip begins and the untitled track settles the atmosphere for whats coming next with a lot of weird effects, a tune wrapped in ambient elements and a lot of weird stuff indeed. In the end these guys make this sound incredible. The rest of the songs are similar and I don't actually know how to explain the tracks from 5 to 9 in a precise way. I am sure these last tunes can be better appreciated if you got all stuffed with weed or tripping on acid, anyway the thing is these guys achieve genius music and everything else is just making extra points.

The production is incredible, the harmonics sound very clean and the sound is loud and clear. The booklet is just ok but anyway, we care about the music and not the booklet, Check this album if you are into experimental or uncommon music.

Best Racks: Carry, The Beginning and The End, The Other.

Written by Herzebeth | 18.08.2005

Guest review by
Candlemass
Rating:
A great dive into deep sound, just a majestic atmosphere warping you tighter as you further deepen the dive into this amazing release.
Isis create a Sludge Metal experience none have preformed so purely before, the only ones that could be credited with such ambiance in there metallic sluggish approach to music are Neurosis.

Read more ››
published 10.07.2008 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 151 users
29.12.2006 - 10:06
Mockingbird622
Account deleted
this album... not enough great things can be said about it... alhtough its kinda like putting it on a pedastal... nothing can really prepare for the mind fuck that is album is... you have to listen to it with an open mind
07.01.2007 - 00:21
Rating: 8
LethargyMan
The only Isis album I like... it's quite good.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
21.06.2008 - 12:26
Rating: 9
Candlemass
Defaeco
Carry?
Its a great track but far from a stand out...
False Light, Maritime, From Sinking..
Here are three that are already better.
Nice review any ways. amazing band.
22.06.2008 - 11:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
This album is overwhelming, it is suffocating at times.

Isis are a great band.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.11.2009 - 00:49
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Defenitly agree about ''Carry'' being the best song. This track is kind of the representation of the whole album, the ambient spooky/melancholic side, and the sludge metal emerging from that.

Maritime is good, althou too short, and ''Weight'' is simply a beautiful epic. Just didnt think of ''The Other'' as a highlight, I didnt get into that track so much.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.02.2011 - 12:58
(((O)))
Great, great album. My favorite track is "False Light"
03.08.2011 - 04:04
Andresopeth
I like a lot this album, but (and i know every one will throw stones at me) i have always thought Isis would had been a better band with another vocalist, music is stunning but vocals never fill me. Just my humble opinion

Hits total: 7766 | This month: 10