Metal Storm logo
So....Is it possible to be innovative in Metal anymore?

Original post

Posted by zabrak, 26.08.2013 - 01:09
You know, I was checking out sub genres in Metal earlier, and I guess I'm asking if there's any innovative metal groups around anymore

I mean think about it, when's the last time there's been a hot new metal genre? The 90s, right?

you know..Folk Metal, Drone Metal, Black Metal, Death metal (okay last two genres were 80s, but they really came into their own genre in the 90s)...a few other genres I'm sure that came from the 90s that I'm forgetting

That's not say to that there hasn't' been a plethora of great 2000s metal bands, but c'mon guys, they've just been expanding on what's been established previously. There's really been no new sub genre of Metal that grabbed the community by the balls and went "THIS IS THE METAL YOU WILL BE WANTING TO PLAY FOR NOW ON". Something that started a new way to play metal, where bands across the world adapted to it. I'm telling you, the las time we've seen something like that was in the 90s

Has Metal reached it plateau?
31.08.2013 - 11:29
no one
Account deleted
Pagan dead ,black metal psychobilly...bit different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsRbB2bHVs
31.08.2013 - 16:10
PocketMetal

One word : Unexpect.
if that's not innovative , I don't know what is.
01.09.2013 - 23:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well, I do think that there is a lot of innovative bands in metal even nowadays. There's even some bands that I find very hard to classify as being ''Metal'' even though they are considered to be so. Recent Baroness work for example. Also Kylesa would come to mind. They try a lot of different stuff blend-in many different sounds in their music. Its 2 bands that I can easily listen to even when I don't feel like listening to metal. Also there's bands like ''Scale The Summit'' and other prog acts or even some Stoner bands that are innovative. Whatever, I think there's always place for innovation if you're actually looking for it... I'm not quite sure what you mean. The reason there hasn't been a ''New Hot Metal Genre'' Is probably because the mainstream scene is not interested in it anymore lol nowadays its more dub-step and electronic music that attracts the media's attention not metal. In the 90's metal was still pretty big cause of all the NU, Death, Melo-Death, Folk (...) Idk man, I mean is there any innovative Jazz or Blues anymore ? Probably, but I wouldn't know about it, cuz I ain't looking for it lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.09.2013 - 08:12
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 01.09.2013 at 23:45

I mean is there any innovative Jazz or Blues anymore ? Probably, but I wouldn't know about it, cuz I ain't looking for it lol

probably innovative anything if you are looking for it
02.09.2013 - 10:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Do Dol Ammad count as innovative?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.09.2013 - 19:25
Ishwa

I don't know about innovative genres other than maybe djent... but then again personally I'm not much a fan of most djent bands. In my opinion the most innovative things happening in metal are coming from certain musicians. Firstly Josh, the guitar player of Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, and Glass Cloud. After having seen him play a few times now and getting to converse with him a bit about his playing, I do believe he is the most innovative guitarist in metal right now. I also believe that Dave Davidson of Revocation is very innovative in an odd way. He's innovative in that he's bringing back the classic metal style of lead playing and bringing very tasteful melody back to thrash/death metal bands.
----
Ishwa
11.09.2013 - 12:33
Aristarchos

The blackgaze is quite new genre, started by Alcest in 2005.
12.09.2013 - 15:20
Jtbmetal123

No, there will always be that band that will surpass the others. Metallica did it in the 80's. Pantera in the 90's. Slipknot in the 00's and now somebody needs to take the throne. If anything, it will get more creative from here. Id throw slayer, Death and other bands in there if you want to. But you get the drift.
14.09.2013 - 22:06
-Quatropus-

When they do and try to show how technical musicians have gotten with performing different styles, they end up being called a "Djent" band and trashed. It's upsetting.
14.09.2013 - 22:48
theFIST

Written by M C Vice on 02.09.2013 at 10:56

Do Dol Ammad count as innovative?

yes
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol: