12. As I Am Exploding [Deluxe Edition bonus]
13. Skulls...We Are 138 [Misfits cover] [Deluxe Edition bonus]
14. Losing My Religion [R.E.M. cover] [Japanese bonus]

Additional info
Produced by David Draiman.

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Vengeance isn't the only thing that falls on this album.

Read more ››
published 17.11.2020 | Comments (0)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 65   Visited by: 715 users
09.10.2013 - 21:15
Rating: 8
schlakt

Since i am a HUGE trivium fan i was pretty dissapointed at first, but i have listened to all the songs countless times and it gets better everytime!
09.10.2013 - 23:55
X-FrEaK

I liked it. Its very radio friendly, it has Drainman written all over it, as someone already said. It has a lot of catchy songs (almost all of them have really catchy chorus) the only downside is that it wont age well. Im starting to get tired of it, and Trivium is my second most listened band on last.fm
----
09.10.2013 - 23:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Weird that some people need multiple listens to Judge this sort of band and music.

One listen is more than enough to Judge this ias totaly average stuff. But then again 99% of all music (and that also includes metal) just needs one listen to be able to Judge it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.10.2013 - 04:32
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.10.2013 at 23:56

But then again 99% of all music (and that also includes metal) just needs one listen to be able to Judge it.

You obviously speak for yourself, because I respectfully disagree entirely with your assertion.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.10.2013 - 23:16
Nemo Atkins

Written by Ace Frawley on 10.10.2013 at 04:32

But then again 99% of all music (and that also includes metal) just needs one listen to be able to Judge it.

You obviously speak for yourself, because I respectfully disagree entirely with your assertion.

Agreed. There've been several times I've listened to something (not even prog stuff: one of my most noticeable examples was Led Zeppelin) which I've not cared for, but, after a few repeat listens, found I've really enjoyed it. Sometimes, you need to be in a certain mindset before you can really click with what you're listening to, so writing something off just from one listen can be a really bad idea.
11.10.2013 - 23:55
Sword_Chant

Is it me or are the last 2 bonus tracks some of the stronger tracks of the album? The misfits cover is awesome
12.10.2013 - 21:24
X-FrEaK

Written by Nemo Atkins on 10.10.2013 at 23:16

Written by Ace Frawley on 10.10.2013 at 04:32

Agreed. There've been several times I've listened to something (not even prog stuff: one of my most noticeable examples was Led Zeppelin) which I've not cared for, but, after a few repeat listens, found I've really enjoyed it. Sometimes, you need to be in a certain mindset before you can really click with what you're listening to, so writing something off just from one listen can be a really bad idea.

I could not disagree more... Every album (and I mean, even a Korn album) needs to be listened to many times before judgement.
----
13.10.2013 - 05:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-FrEaK on 12.10.2013 at 21:24

I could not disagree more... Every album (and I mean, even a Korn album) needs to be listened to many times before judgement.

I totally disagree. EVERYTHING can be properly judged after one listen. Extra listens are just fine tuning, nothing more.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't matter if you've been listening to metal for a year or 34 years, like me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 05:40
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Weird that some people need multiple listens to Judge this sort of band and music.

One listen is more than enough to Judge this ias totaly average stuff. But then again 99% of all music (and that also includes metal) just needs one listen to be able to Judge it.

Agreed, a lot of my reviews are based off of only a single listen. (Mostly those of awful albums)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.10.2013 - 14:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
After ignoring this record for a while(busy listening other albums), i was pushed by couple of shouts on SB, Ace Frawley single-handedly defending this output and my "avoided inner feeling", i thought i should give this record a spin. Oh my Lord Shiva, i was stunned when first track finished it. I thought "okay, it's just like the starting of In Waves" then booom another damn good song, followed by another stunning song( "Strife") and then immensely enjoyed til the album finished. On my completion of second spin, It's a complete enjoyable album. terrific release. it's replica of KsE return to metal charts. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it.
13.10.2013 - 14:42
Moose

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 05:17

I totally disagree. EVERYTHING can be properly judged after one listen. Extra listens are just fine tuning, nothing more.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't matter if you've been listening to metal for a year or 34 years, like me.

I'm not sure I can agree to that. Countless times I have disliked something on the first listen, and then after further listens I've grown to enjoy it. ie. My first impression was flawed.

Applying a Socratic method to your argument, the fact that I have been able to provide a scenario in which your statement does not hold, suggests it cannot be an all defining truth, even when stated with the persuasiveness of caps lock.
13.10.2013 - 15:10
Uldreth

Well I'm not sure if I agree. Some things just strike you in different ways in different times.

Although right now I do not have any specific examples in mind, I remember there were quite a few cases when I listened to an album, didn't like it, then some time later I decided to listen to it again and it just clicked with me there, and liked it ever since then. It does not even have to be any "complex" music or other BS, this had happened to me with both quite sophisticated and terribly simple albums as well.
15.10.2013 - 13:41
musicalkaratekid

Good enough to keep the band's fans interested, but I don't see anything on this album that would change anyone's mind. If it does change anyone's opinion of the band, then good on that person. There are a few nice tracks on here, such as 'Villainy thrives' and 'At the end of this world', but at times it just feels too much like an "In waves" V.2.
16.10.2013 - 04:11
Slayerus23
Account deleted
B-Sides of In Waves demos, or something? Damn, this is really disappointing.

It gets worse at every listen.
16.10.2013 - 12:12
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman

Extra listens are just fine tuning, nothing more. Never heard anything more ridiculous. Man, you are a strange one.
----
16.10.2013 - 16:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 16.10.2013 at 12:12

Extra listens are just fine tuning, nothing more. Never heard anything more ridiculous. Man, you are a strange one.

Actually loads of people I know are of the exact same opinion when it comes to judging all sorts of metal. Maybe it's the metal circles I move around in, I don't know, but I am far from alone with my point of view. So, when I say subsequent listens are just fine tuning it is far from ridiculous.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2013 - 16:56
angel.
Evil Butterfly

It rarely happens that I could change my opinion over an album with extra listens, I mean mostly I can judge albums by first one, and as you said extra listens give more details but it doesn't change my opinion or at least a probable change doesn't go so far from my over all opinion at first listen.
----
The Fangirl.
17.10.2013 - 07:09
SmokyPeat

Too much black and white here... and opinion stated as fact definitely places you on shaky ground. Stay safe sir.
17.10.2013 - 11:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
ALmost everything one writes is opinion. So totally not necessary for me to state imo when I post something. Only when it is a fact does that have to be mentioned as being a fact.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2013 - 11:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'm just going to say that I'm in the same boat as Marcel. Albums that need extra listens to "get" are just a rarity......*sigh*... to me.

There, happy folks? I wrote "to me" so you can't get sensitive about it, even though it's plain obvious that I didn't need to do that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.10.2013 - 11:45
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.10.2013 at 11:42

I'm just going to say that I'm in the same boat as Marcel. Albums that need extra listens to "get" are just a rarity......*sigh*... to me.

There, happy folks? I wrote "to me" so you can't get sensitive about it, even though it's plain obvious that I didn't need to do that.

Yeah, thanks for that mate, so generous and thoughtful.
----
18.10.2013 - 20:20
Rulatore

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but it's funny how often you mention that you've been listening to metal for more than 30 years just after expressing your opinion.
18.10.2013 - 20:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Rulatore on 18.10.2013 at 20:20

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree, but it's funny how often you mention that you've been listening to metal for more than 30 years just after expressing your opinion.

because the first thing people say when I don't mention in a post such as this is "but you've been listening to metal for so extremely long, that's the reaosn why"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2013 - 09:53
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I like this one but I think Trivium are continuing a trend to more melodic and commercially-oriented music, which is evidenced here with lots of harmony in the vocals and shorter tracks. The drumming is still fast and thrash metal and the guitars and bass are similar but the reduction in harsh vocals and the catchy choruses are definitely going to be appealing to a wider audience. I think that if Trivium don't break through to a much larger market with this one, they might ditch this direction that they've been going in and return to a harsher sound. I still enjoy this but I think the songs will become a bit annoying with too many rotations.
----
25.10.2013 - 19:38
psykometal
A staff guy...
Quite enjoying the music, but I'm struggling to get past that it feels like either Draiman had way too much influence over Matt's vocal techniques in the studio, or Matt inherently channelled his inner Draiman fanboy a little too much. And Draiman definitely seems to have been a little too liberal in using his Disturbed-style vocal layering techniques while in the producer's chair.

Due to these 2 issues, all too often I feel like I'm listening to a Trivium album that features Matt/David duets on every track.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.10.2013 - 02:33
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Yeah, some of these songs are so catchy they've been stuck in my head for days like pop songs. Just singing the chorus over and over in my head. Sort of good and sort of bad.
----
27.10.2013 - 03:25
Lord_Regnier

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2013 at 16:35

Written by Ace Frawley on 16.10.2013 at 12:12

Actually loads of people I know are of the exact same opinion when it comes to judging all sorts of metal. Maybe it's the metal circles I move around in, I don't know, but I am far from alone with my point of view. So, when I say subsequent listens are just fine tuning it is far from ridiculous.

I don't know if it's because I'm an old Metalhead but I agree with you. There are rare exceptions but usually I need only one listen to have a clear opinion of an album and know if I like it or not. In most cases, I could write a review after only one listen.

When I check for new stuff on the net, I know instantly if I don't like something or if it can be something I could want to invest my money on. Sometimes, I'm not entirely sure I will like it enough to buy and need to check it more thoroughly but I know right away if it has the potential to grow on me or not.

But I think experience has to do with it. I've been listening to Metal music on a regular basis for 30 years or so. When I was new to Metal, it wasn't easy like that.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
27.10.2013 - 06:55
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.10.2013 at 03:25

But I think experience has to do with it. I've been listening to Metal music on a regular basis for 30 years or so. When I was new to Metal, it wasn't easy like that.

In some cases it might be a factor but in others it may not. I've been listening to metal for 20 years and I still indulge in a lot of listens to an album before I get it.
----
27.10.2013 - 22:23
MechanisT
Account deleted
Wow so, this was boring.
01.11.2013 - 06:26
Rating: 5
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2013 at 20:25

because the first thing people say when I don't mention in a post such as this is "but you've been listening to metal for so extremely long, that's the reaosn why"

In all likelihood, it has naught to do with experience, although that is certainly a contributing factor. Drawing from your album votes and collection, I'm assuming you don't actively search progressive or avant-garde metal. In most cases, I can judge an album not classified within the aforementioned sub-genres after one listen - I'd accredit that to simplicity though...

Hits total: 19948 | This month: 24