06. Towards The Pantheon [alternative mix]
07. The Majesty Of The Night Sky [alternative mix]
08. I Am The Black Wizards [alternative mix]
09. Inno A Satana [alternative mix]

The Alckerhaugen Tapes 1993
10. The Majesty Of The Night Sky [4-track pre-production]
11. The Burning Shadows Of Silence [pre-production rehearsal]
12. I Am The Black Wizards [rehearsal]

Emperor released their first full length album "In The Nightside Eclipse" in 1994. At the time, Emperor's line-up consisted of Ihsahn on lead guitars, vocals and keyboards, Samoth on guitars, Tchort on bass and Faust on drums. This album is indeed a masterpiece album in the Black Metal genre. It consists of ten tracks including the bonus tracks "A Fine Day To Die" (Bathory cover) and "Gypsy" (Merciful Fate cover). Alver (bass), Trym (drums) and Charmand Grimloch (keyboards) make appearances on the two cover songs.

I regard this album to be one of the best Emperor albums. The songs focus more on raw guitars, timely blast beats and "chilling" tone of keyboards which suit very well. There are less clean vocals, which is unlike the band's style on most of their other albums. I find Ihsahn's vocals to be more powerful and aggressive on than on any other Emperor album. In The Nightside Eclipse will certainly not fail in any aspect to please a raw Black Metal fan, and maybe even an Extreme Metal fan, for not only the music, but even the lyrics have been written in an equally artistic and effective manner. The lyrics of the songs focus mainly in describing the characters of an imaginary ancient world. Its scenery and inhabitants belong to the theme of emperors, kings, wizards, and wolves. The song "Inno A Satana" however, can be considered to be homage to Satan. The music of the songs and lyrics together seem to succeed in taking the listener deep into the imagery of this ancient world.

In a single sentence, this album can be described as an excellent Black Metal album comprising of a fusion of rawness, speed and "chilling" melody. The bands praiseworthy work on music composition, performance as well as song writing makes the album deserve an award of the respectful rating '10'. Hence, I would like to make a strong recommendation to Extreme Metal fans to add this album to their collection, for a metal (especially Black Metal) collection would be incomplete without it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 7

Written by Paganblood | 29.12.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Smurfophagist
Rating:
Behold the greatest symphonic black metal release ever! "In The Nightside Eclipse" is one of the most important albums in the 90's Norwegian black metal scene. Consisting of 8 tracks plus two covers (Bathory - "A Fine Day To Die" and King Diamond's "Gypsy") this album has managed to show the listeners that black metal can be raw and extremely melodic at the same time.

Read more ››
published 11.05.2009 | Comments (10)

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 190 users
29.12.2006 - 19:31
Rating: 10
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
One of the most beautiful black metal album without any doubt!
Everything here is special, every song a little masterpiece and also the artwork is great! I agree with you and yours is a very good review!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
30.12.2006 - 00:43
Talvi

I guess that anybody that wants a perfect black metal album can't rate the production xD
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
30.12.2006 - 00:56
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Talvi on 30.12.2006 at 00:43

I guess that anybody that wants a perfect black metal album can't rate the production xD

Ofcourse not, the "shitty" production is part of the perfection

One of the best albums ever \m/
07.01.2007 - 18:37
Rating: 8
Sunioj

I didnt even notice the production, I swear!
10.02.2007 - 21:42
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
haha, i didnt notice either, i frickin love this album. Black Metal as it should be
26.03.2007 - 09:37
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Ratings re-adjusted.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
29.03.2007 - 17:28
|Angela|
Account deleted
Really good album and good review. I agree completely . My favorite album by Emperor although I would rank Anthems quite high as well.

The track listing doesn't have Gypsy and A Fine Day to Die which are two of my favorite tracks. Specially Gypsy.
13.06.2007 - 10:03
villain

I think the word "Majestic" pretty much describes the album.
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
18.06.2007 - 13:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
An Extreme Metal fan can't dislike this album, fact!
----
14.05.2009 - 07:48
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
THE best album! Simply one of the best in metal history. The rawness is perfectly adjusted, leaving the heavy atmosphere more pleasant to the ears. Great vocals, drums, riffs, cover, theme. Almost perfect.

Just that first track would be better if it begins from the 4th minute (''Into The Infinity Of Thoughts'').
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.09.2009 - 12:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Probably i was expecting more, but i wasnt disppointed either
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.12.2009 - 13:15
MetalHealing

I agree with you, the production isn't really good but the whole album is a masterpiece!
20.05.2011 - 18:05
jazar94

This is the first black metal album I ever listened to.. And I still fucking love it.
22.09.2011 - 21:14
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Great review of a masterpiece. Some tracks like: Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, I Am The Black Wizards and Towards The Pantheon never show any sign of getting old.
14.10.2011 - 17:49
@gent_-_orange

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:14

Great review of a masterpiece. Some tracks like: Into The Infinity Of Thoughts, I Am The Black Wizards and Towards The Pantheon never show any sign of getting old.

I would say that about every song on here, This album is a masterpiece no doubt about it. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy I would say that everything is perfect on this record.
14.10.2011 - 23:53
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 14.10.2011 at 17:49

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:14

I would say that about every song on here, This album is a masterpiece no doubt about it. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy I would say that everything is perfect on this record.

You're right, friend.
13.06.2016 - 19:40
Rating: 9
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nice words but somehow I think that this vocal thing it would be better bit claner, we could understand song lyrics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.10.2017 - 21:07
BetulaObscura

Written by Bad English on 13.06.2016 at 19:40

Nice words but somehow I think that this vocal thing it would be better bit claner, we could understand song lyrics

It was recorded in Grieg Hall in Bergen with strong echo/reverb. That is why vocals sound "distant" and not that loud (comparing with other instruments).
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
31.07.2021 - 23:09
Rating: 9
BlankFile

Iconic Black Metal record, one of the best of the genre.

Hits total: 9387 | This month: 15