Metal Storm logo
Vaping

02.09.2013 - 12:26
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
So, anyone else here who is using e-cigarettes? I've been a smoker for a long while, then I quit for 3 years and inevitably got back to smoking recently. For health purposes, I switched to vaping and am now a happy e-cigarette user (haven't touch an 'analog' cigarette in 4 months). The best brand that I have found so far is the Polish brand Volish, although I am sure there are other great brands out there. I'm mostly using fruit-taste liquids as they remind me of how a hookah tastes. In fact, the whole sensation of vaping is more similar to smoking a hookah than to smoking a cigarette, and I am more than OK with this (love the hookah). Nicotine is a fantastic drug (sarcasm) and now I can get my fix without huge health concerns, what a fantastic invention

So, lets start a conversation about e-cigarettes. Any more users here? Perhaps some of you are against them? Lets talk.
02.09.2013 - 12:43
FOOCK Nam

Lots of smokers trying to quite by switching to e-cigar, which is vaping. I think its good stuff for entertainment, seeing how tech is so cool magically. But wait, i dont understand how you do vaping and it doesnt harm your liver and lung ? Do you feel same or leastly similar like smoking real cigar,... or else ? I guess you just smell it, not sniff like real cigar... I think if it is not harmful for like secondhand smoke, and furtherly if also not bad effect for direct user then im ok and even support it as replacement for real cigar... Well, ideally if technology makes same things for drugs...
02.09.2013 - 13:25
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Well, the way I look at it, I am not trying to quit smoking, I'm just smoking in a way that is far less harmful to me. The health effects of vaping have not yet been studied extensively enough to determine that it is completely safe; however, it is definitely far less harmful than smoking a real cigarette. The 'smoke' from an e-cigarette consists of water vapor and nicotine. The water vapor itself is clearly not harmful (it is the same stuff that bands use at concerts for example, and its also used in asthma medicine) but the nicotine is slightly toxic (about as much as caffeine). Nicotine is a drug and is very addictive; however, in itself, it is not particularly harmful. It is not a carcinogen; however, it does have an effect on the circulatory system (once again, like caffeine). It is therefore very important to make sure that the liquid that you are using in your e-cigarette does not contain a large amount of nicotine. I've found that a 12mg/ml content of nicotine works for me.

The liquid itself (in liquid form, not in vapor form) is VERY toxic and it is therefore also very important to vape using equipment that makes it impossible for the liquid form to come in contact with the skin or with the mouth. As long as these precautions are taken, vaping is most probably quite safe.
02.09.2013 - 15:02
ANGEL REAPER

Not really related to usage of E-cigarettes but once my friend and i broke down its cartridge in elevator by accident ...men we felt dizzy after 30 second ride.I mean those things are on helluva nicotine patch . Also i quit smoking couple of years ago so i wish you luck man.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.09.2013 - 15:56
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
This sounds a bit strange, did you get the liquid on your skin? If you just spill the liquid, it does not vaporize and you should not feel any effects of nicotine or anything... Perhaps the liquid was of poor quality?
02.09.2013 - 17:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
You love hookah too? Cool.
One of my closer friends got one recently as he's trying to stop smoking and find a better alternative (dude is a football player so he wants to not fuck up his body THAT much). I tried his e-cigarette and it does remind me a lot of hookah which was a positive thing. A part of me thinks about getting one in the future because I started smoking for almost a year now and it's not something I want to continue doing but I still enjoy it... So yeah, it seems like a good alternative.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.09.2013 - 17:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.09.2013 at 17:01

all men love hookers.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2013 - 17:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.09.2013 at 17:08
all men love hookers.

I was totally waiting for that joke since I read the first post but didn't want to make it. xD
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.09.2013 - 19:54
ANGEL REAPER

Written by jupitreas on 02.09.2013 at 15:56

This sounds a bit strange, did you get the liquid on your skin? If you just spill the liquid, it does not vaporize and you should not feel any effects of nicotine or anything... Perhaps the liquid was of poor quality?

it was extra tight space (very small elevator) and i am not sure what kind of liquid was that but inhaling it really made me dizzy and that is also strange because i have higher tolerance to chemicals ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
02.09.2013 - 20:58
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.09.2013 at 17:01

One of my closer friends got one recently as he's trying to stop smoking and find a better alternative (dude is a football player so he wants to not fuck up his body THAT much). I tried his e-cigarette and it does remind me a lot of hookah which was a positive thing. A part of me thinks about getting one in the future because I started smoking for almost a year now and it's not something I want to continue doing but I still enjoy it... So yeah, it seems like a good alternative.

Its also cheaper than smoking normal cigarettes, another pro to consider...
03.09.2013 - 02:09
Mattybu

Good for you for at least trying to find a healthier alternative, cigarettes are definitely not my thing... And I can't imagine how bothersome the financial impact of smoking cigarettes would be
03.09.2013 - 02:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Haven't tried Hookah, but it sounds cool. Like Ceddy said, it's definitely something I can't afford to spend money on.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2013 - 06:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Hookah is good shit. I haven't smoked it in a long time. I smoked for about 15 years, then started quitting when I found out my ex was pregnant, and managed to quit entirely by the time my son was born.

I thought about trying to switch over to the e-cigs instead of quitting, but figured if I could kick the habit altogether it would sure save me a shit load of money. I would smoke about half a pack a day, but on the weekends when I'd go hang out at the bar with friends I'd burn through 2+ packs in a night.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.09.2013 - 12:30
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Hookah (called Shisha in my neck of the woods) is good shit indeed. I smoked cigarettes for about 15 years too and was up to more than a pack a day before i quit. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 3 years now but i guess i didn't really quit my smoking habit rather than just transfer my addiction I smoke shisha on average once a week & i find thats enough to keep my mind off thinking about cigarettes.

I've never tried or been interested in trying e-cigarettes tbh. Not sure why, i guess i just found going the shisha route worked for me as far as getting me off cigarettes and that smoking e-cigs would just make me want to have a shisha or a proper cig instead.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
03.09.2013 - 12:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Smoking shisha (as it's called here) is even unhealthier than smoking cigarettes. A session of shisha smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2013 - 13:40
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2013 at 12:41

Smoking shisha (as it's called here) is even unhealthier than smoking cigarettes. A session of shisha smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.

There's conflicting reports on how unhealthy shisha is compared to cigarettes tbh, as not enough long-term research has been done. For sure it exposes the user to a way higher volume of smoke, but it also exposes the user to less chemicals and some studies have stated it's less carcinogenic and radioactive than cigarette smoke. I think we can all agree that it's in no way healthy for you though so if you really want to consider your health, you shouldn't smoke either.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
03.09.2013 - 15:30
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by jupitreas on 02.09.2013 at 20:58

Rolling your own cigarettes are also cheaper

I've heard that the liquid is quite dangerous if it touches your lips or skin, not so sure about this though.
I tried the e cigarette, but I never really liked it. But I've heard it's advanced quite a bit now. Maybe I should try one again sometime. I still prefer to roll my cigarettes, I actually like rolling my cigarettes, it's just something about that process that appeals to me( I know someone is going to say hipster ) I prefer the flavour and taste more than the normal cigarettes I get here too.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.09.2013 - 16:41
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Nefarious on 03.09.2013 at 13:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2013 at 12:41

There's conflicting reports on how unhealthy shisha is compared to cigarettes tbh, as not enough long-term research has been done. For sure it exposes the user to a way higher volume of smoke, but it also exposes the user to less chemicals and some studies have stated it's less carcinogenic and radioactive than cigarette smoke. I think we can all agree that it's in no way healthy for you though so if you really want to consider your health, you shouldn't smoke either.

Indeed, and it should also be mentioned that while most cigarette smokers will go through at least half a pack a day (I used to go thru one whole pack a day, but I also know some people who smoke even more than that), smoking shisha is generally something that people do far more sporadically, say 1-2 times a week. Either way, it is definitely not a healthy habit but if I were to make a guess, I'd say cigs are probably more unhealthy.

Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.09.2013 at 15:30

Written by jupitreas on 02.09.2013 at 20:58

Rolling your own cigarettes are also cheaper

I've heard that the liquid is quite dangerous if it touches your lips or skin, not so sure about this though.
I tried the e cigarette, but I never really liked it. But I've heard it's advanced quite a bit now. Maybe I should try one again sometime. I still prefer to roll my cigarettes, I actually like rolling my cigarettes, it's just something about that process that appeals to me( I know someone is going to say hipster ) I prefer the flavour and taste more than the normal cigarettes I get here too.

Yes, it is, but e-cigs are probably cheaper even than rolling your own. Generally, vaping is at least 3x cheaper than smoking real cigarettes, depending on how much you actually vape and what harware you invest in (better hardware is more expensive but less prone to breaking, more expensive batteries will last you longer etc.) I've been vaping for 5 months so far and the total cost I've incurred so far is around 250 USD (including initial hardware investment, consequent months will be cheaper as I no longer need to invest). If I were to smoke cigarettes for five months, I'd pay around 600 USD. Naturally, this is based on prices in Poland, this may differ where you live.

With rolling your own cigarettes, you also need to keep in mind that while you are not investing as much actual money in them, you certainly are investing more time. Time is money and rolling a whole pack-worth of cigarettes will add up. With an e-cigarette, I just need to refill once a day, a procedure that takes 10 seconds.
03.09.2013 - 20:00
ANGEL REAPER

250 USD ? dude here that equipment and 6 months supply of cartridges will cost 100-150 euros max (hell yeah for black markets )
----
04.09.2013 - 02:40
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Well, considering that 150 EUR = 200 USD (roughly), the difference is not huge. Besides, I prefer to invest in equipment and liquids from established brands that have good quality control. Vaping can be dangerous when not using good quality liquid as the 'black-market' stuff can contain various toxic chemicals.
04.09.2013 - 03:40
Thrashette

When I read the title of the thread, I thought it would be about smoking weed with a vapourizer... which is also a healthier alternative. And it does save you money if you smoke a lot of weed, but I guess that's for another thread
I only know a couple people who use e-cigs. These same people no longer smoke regular cigarettes, which would lead me to assume it's been a reasonable replacement. As for shisha (as far as I'm aware, the stuff you smoke is called shisha and the apparatus you use to smoke it is called a hookah), the lounges/bars around here serve the herbal kind which doesn't contain anything that will get you high, though some people say it makes them feel a little light headed. This causes significantly less damage than cigarettes or regular shisha, though there's still the health risks of inhaling smoke and compounds produced by burning charcoal, and people who've tried regular shisha say that the herbal kind doesn't feel as good. It doesn't stop me from smoking herbal shisha once in a while, and I definitely prefer its fruity smell over the scent of marijuana or tobacco smoke.
04.09.2013 - 11:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Thrashette on 04.09.2013 at 03:40

When I read the title of the thread, I thought it would be about smoking weed with a vapourizer... which is also a healthier alternative. And it does save you money if you smoke a lot of weed, but I guess that's for another thread

Haha, I thought the same thing at first as well.

Written by jupitreas on 04.09.2013 at 02:40

Well, considering that 150 EUR = 200 USD (roughly), the difference is not huge. Besides, I prefer to invest in equipment and liquids from established brands that have good quality control. Vaping can be dangerous when not using good quality liquid as the 'black-market' stuff can contain various toxic chemicals.

I spend 50$ for 5 months of hand rolled smokes. And I don't have a problem rolling them, coz I'm usually having a conversation while rolling them, so it's not really a waste of time as I see it. Coz apart from being able to use my hands, I can pretty much do everything else that I would normally do while rolling a cigarette
----

Last fm
Don't click here
04.09.2013 - 11:52
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.09.2013 at 11:47

And I don't have a problem rolling them, coz I'm usually having a conversation while rolling them, so it's not really a waste of time as I see it. Coz apart from being able to use my hands, I can pretty much do everything else that I would normally do while rolling a cigarette

in the old days (like 50-60 years ago) here old people would roll their own cigarettes from their own tobacco. They would usually lit them up by using flint and sharp metal nail.It would take about half of hour to roll and light that things .They would usually smoke on long walks to nearest towns (20 km on foot) just to kill some time
----
04.09.2013 - 15:45
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.09.2013 at 11:52

in the old days (like 50-60 years ago) here old people would roll their own cigarettes from their own tobacco. They would usually lit them up by using flint and sharp metal nail.It would take about half of hour to roll and light that things .They would usually smoke on long walks to nearest towns (20 km on foot) just to kill some time

Hahaha, there is no way you'd need half an hour to roll a cigarette
Well with all the advancements now, you can roll a cigarette in under a minute.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
04.09.2013 - 16:33
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.09.2013 at 15:45

Hahaha, there is no way you'd need half an hour to roll a cigarette

you dont ...but lighting it up with flint takes a lot of time
----
04.09.2013 - 16:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.09.2013 at 16:33

makes sense.
Do you smoke rolled tobacco as well? What brand do you use?
----

Last fm
Don't click here
04.09.2013 - 17:05
FOOCK Nam

Viet Old folks with rolling smoke as I guess from discussion

compared with Middle East ppl
04.09.2013 - 17:06
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.09.2013 at 16:56

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.09.2013 at 16:33

makes sense.
Do you smoke rolled tobacco as well? What brand do you use?

well i quit smoking ..never rolled a cigarette but i was a fun of cigars made of one piece of tobacco lief with no filter on it (like one Clint Eastwood smoke in western movies for example).At the time i would smoke this expensive thing with a glass of whiskey at a roof top / balcony at the end of day .They are actually really strong stuff.
hell i would continue with this "ritual" if i had more money
----
04.09.2013 - 19:17
Sophist

Tried e-cigs a few days ago. Nice flavor, easy to use, I calculated it would be cheaper for me than to buy regular cigs, but I still prefer regular cigarettes the feeling when you put it out in the ashtray is great.
05.09.2013 - 00:01
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Thrashette on 04.09.2013 at 03:40

... the herbal kind ...

This I find to be the most stupid thing to smoke as it does not give you a buzz of any kind but is still unhealthy. What is the point?

Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.09.2013 at 11:47

I spend 50$ for 5 months of hand rolled smokes. And I don't have a problem rolling them, coz I'm usually having a conversation while rolling them, so it's not really a waste of time as I see it. Coz apart from being able to use my hands, I can pretty much do everything else that I would normally do while rolling a cigarette

Well, it seems that rolling might be cheaper than vaping after all. How much do you smoke btw (how many hand-rolled cigarettes a day?). Is it the equivalent of one pack a day of normal cigarettes? Only then can our price comparison make sense. Besides, vaping is significantly healthier than smoking any kind of tobacco, so in my opinion, the extra money is well worth it for still being able to enjoy nicotine without the negative consequences.

Written by Sophist on 04.09.2013 at 19:17

Tried e-cigs a few days ago. Nice flavor, easy to use, I calculated it would be cheaper for me than to buy regular cigs, but I still prefer regular cigarettes the feeling when you put it out in the ashtray is great.

Once again, its a matter of health. I too (at first) preferred the sensation of smoking a real cigarette and found the e-cig to be great, but not a complete replacement for that sensation. After a while, I came to the conclusion that while e-cigs dont give you 100% of that sensation, they do give you a fair amount (for the sake of the argument, lets say 90%). Considering that e-cigs are not carcinogenic and (as far as we know so far) not harmful at all, I decided that I was willing to sacrifice this 10% in the name of health and peace of mind that I am not doing something that will eventually kill me.