Robert Trujillo (2003-Present Day)
Other (Just in case Rob leaves I guess)
Ron McGovney (1982)
Bob Rock (St. Anger Sessions)

Total votes: 69
07.09.2013 - 06:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm completely surprised that no one has asked this topic before but anyway, who is your favorite bassist from Metallica? My personal pick would be for Jason Newsted, not only for his bass work, but also for his fantastic stage presence and backing vocals. I know Ron McGovney was only there for a few demos, and Bob Rock wasn't even a member of the band, but I figured I add them since they did perform bass work for this band in some variety. The other option is just in case Rob leaves the band or whatever and they have a new bassist come in the future. I doubt that will happen, but you never know...
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2013 - 08:36
Vasil de Shumen

Cliff Burton
07.09.2013 - 09:51
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Jason for sure !
----
The Fangirl.
07.09.2013 - 17:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is a tricky one, as their 3 main bassists over the years are all great in their own ways. Cliff was innovative, and had a very unique tone for the time, back in the early 80's. Jason is a great performer, and had a huge prescence and personality on stage. He added a lot to the Metallica live show with his on-stage charisma and great backing (and occasional lead) vocals. Rob is probably the most skilled bass player out of the 3, but he is very shackled in Metallica, and his skills are not allowed to shine as they did in Rob's previous bands. His playing on the Suicidal and Infectious Grooves stuff is just phenomenal. Perhaps like Les Claypool, he is too good for Metallica. lol Not that I'm bashing Metallica, but to hear a player with his skills so stifled is a shame. I wish Metallica would allow him to really let loose with his talents, I think it would benefit the band a lot.

I'll go with Jason though, as he was the Metallica bassist all throughout the years I grew up with them, and he really elevated their live shows so much with his powerful perfomances.
07.09.2013 - 21:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why the F you put other, I would say Cliff and jason both are so called classic, clif is main man and true legend, I think he would turn ove rin coffing if he sees what kind shit is Met nowadays
He was true metalheda not omnly heavy music player and listener
Jason was ok and good, (even all are OPK techiwaly) but after Jason metallice died
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.09.2013 - 21:24
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.09.2013 at 17:31

This is a tricky one, as their 3 main bassists over the years are all great in their own ways. Cliff was innovative, and had a very unique tone for the time, back in the early 80's. Jason is a great performer, and had a huge prescence and personality on stage. He added a lot to the Metallica live show with his on-stage charisma and great backing (and occasional lead) vocals. Rob is probably the most skilled bass player out of the 3, but he is very shackled in Metallica, and his skills are not allowed to shine as they did in Rob's previous bands. His playing on the Suicidal and Infectious Grooves stuff is just phenomenal. Perhaps like Les Claypool, he is too good for Metallica. lol Not that I'm bashing Metallica, but to hear a player with his skills so stifled is a shame. I wish Metallica would allow him to really let loose with his talents, I think it would benefit the band a lot.

I'll go with Jason though, as he was the Metallica bassist all throughout the years I grew up with them, and he really elevated their live shows so much with his powerful perfomances.

I'm going to have to agree with everything you said.
08.09.2013 - 01:28
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Jason Newsted
08.09.2013 - 03:41
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It's difficult between Jason and Cliff...
Cliff would have provided the guys and the music itself with more of his classical knowledge hadn't he died so soon, and I'd take a fingered bass sound over the pick any time.
Jason provided some excellent backing vocals, it was his best feature... but I think I'll go with Cliff.
08.09.2013 - 15:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
We have this topic, but yeah, you have added more guys...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.09.2013 - 20:20
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
We all know who's going to win this (and it's probably not Bob Rock), so I'm going to go ahead and give my vote to Jason. There's this.
11.09.2013 - 00:55
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
It's a bit surprising that this is even a topic for discussion, Jason and Rob Trujilo are both very skilled players, but Cliff was just on an entirely different level. I don't really think you can compare him against any of Metallica's subsequent bassists. He was also amazing not only in terms of playing, but composition. He basically taught James and Lars some of the essentials of music theory and how to harmonize, and you can notice what an influence he had, because after Master Of Puppets the band never regained the sound they had had with him in the band.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.09.2013 - 07:29
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
There is only one correct answer here. Cliff Burton.
13.09.2013 - 13:26
nille

The answer is very simple
***^Cliff Burton^*** is undoubtedly the answer
I have no doubt that if he were alive Cliff Burton Metallica Ben situation was better now ... Unfortunately, Metallica is now a completely destroyed.
15.09.2013 - 22:47
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Of course Cliff and Jason. But I voted for Ron
----
04.07.2014 - 12:36
Yossarian

I voted "other" since in some years probably Miley Cirus would play bass in the band if they continue with their continuous change of style according to mainframe music trends. Anyways she says she is a Slayer fan, though I am not pretty sure if she refers to the band or to Buffy, the vampire-SLAYER (LOL).
26.09.2014 - 14:37
_deepblack

But cliff Burton had so many many influences on the lyrics and the metallica it self cliff Burton is on the good and respectful side of metallica that now its not visible anymore
13.10.2014 - 09:53
Nucky

Cliff Burton all the way..
14.10.2014 - 05:19
Mattybu

Little do the fanboys know, Dave Mustaine actually wrote most of the bass parts for Kill 'Em All and performed all bass on the first 3 Metallica albums. You might even say without him, bass would have died as an instrument.

Just kidding, poll with obvious answer.
15.10.2014 - 09:50
Ganondox

Robert Trujillo, obviously.

(jk)
18.10.2014 - 21:28
Frank Comstock

Yep, Cliff is the only answer. I just can't think of anyone else who brought as much to the table as him.

I think both bassists do their job afterwards, but Cliff was something special, especially for Metal.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."