07. Atrementous Journey (Outro)

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 314 users
07.09.2013 - 23:24
Rating: 10
Erik M.

Wow, what an album. It took me a lot of spins to get into this one, but it was definitely worth it. Awesome funeral death doom.
05.10.2013 - 16:28
Rating: 9
mz

Written by Erik M. on 07.09.2013 at 23:24

Wow, what an album. It took me a lot of spins to get into this one, but it was definitely worth it. Awesome funeral death doom.

yeah definitely. It also took me a few spins to fully enjoy this album, probably because I was looking for something like esoteric. I like the rotten atmosphere. On the other hand,semi clean vox are a little out of place IMO
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
05.10.2013 - 16:52
Erik M.

Written by mz on 05.10.2013 at 16:28

yeah definitely. It also took me a few spins to fully enjoy this album, probably because I was looking for something like esoteric. I like the rotten atmosphere. On the other hand,semi clean vox are a little out of place IMO

Not that strange it takes so long to get into this album, as it is a truly massive album and of course funeral doom isn't that accessible (except for Shape of Despair ) most of the time. But honestly I don't have problems with any of the vocals on this album.
05.10.2013 - 17:53
mz

Written by Erik M. on 05.10.2013 at 16:52

Written by mz on 05.10.2013 at 16:28

Not that strange it takes so long to get into this album, as it is a truly massive album and of course funeral doom isn't that accessible (except for Shape of Despair ) most of the time. But honestly I don't have problems with any of the vocals on this album.

It was not because of inaccessibility of genre. Some albums are grower regardless of their genre. Moreover, this band often throws relatively fast moments in Quietus, making this album a not-so-hard one.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
24.01.2014 - 17:45
Erik M.

Decided to rate this a 10. I have spun this album so many times it's ridiculous and still enjoy it immensely (actually it seems to get better even after many spins). This is the best funeral death doom album I've ever heard without a doubt. A masterpiece.
24.01.2014 - 20:09
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 24.01.2014 at 17:45

Decided to rate this a 10. I have spun this album so many times it's ridiculous and still enjoy it immensely (actually it seems to get better even after many spins). This is the best funeral death doom album I've ever heard without a doubt. A masterpiece.

The Maniacal Vale will forever be my favorite, but it's a tie between this, Stormcrowfleet and Angels of Distress in the second spot.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.01.2014 - 21:26
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 24.01.2014 at 20:09

The Maniacal Vale will forever be my favorite, but it's a tie between this, Stormcrowfleet and Angels of Distress in the second spot.

Still haven't fully listened to The Maniacal Vale and Stormcrowfleet (even though I own that last one). Unlike the majority of people I don't think Angels of Distress is such a brilliant album. Sure, it's a great album, but a bit boring to me as only a couple of songs (Quiet These Paintings Are is a brilliant song obviousy and the best on that album) are really interesting.
01.02.2014 - 21:22
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 24.01.2014 at 21:26

Still haven't fully listened to The Maniacal Vale and Stormcrowfleet (even though I own that last one). Unlike the majority of people I don't think Angels of Distress is such a brilliant album. Sure, it's a great album, but a bit boring to me as only a couple of songs (Quiet These Paintings Are is a brilliant song obviously and the best on that album) are really interesting.

It is pure nostalgia why I love Angels of Distress this much, it was the first Funeral Doom metal album I listened to. that said, the album is really fresh and the balanced contrast between the light and darkness in it, is marvelous.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.02.2014 - 00:31
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 01.02.2014 at 21:22

It is pure nostalgia why I love Angels of Distress this much, it was the first Funeral Doom metal album I listened to. that said, the album is really fresh and the balanced contrast between the light and darkness in it, is marvelous.

Yeah, Mary (Fritillaria) said it's about the same reason why she likes that album so much. Shades Of... is much better in my opinion, way less fuzzy and warm than Angels of Distress. Frankly Angels of Distress can be quite boring at times, especially both the first and last songs, where very little variety is to be found. Shades Of... contains 5 truly massive excellent tracks that are all interesting and not boring at all. Funnily that was probably the first funeral doom album that I have listened to. Then again, overall Angels of Distress does have more variety than the debut, I'll admit that much. It's just totally warm funeral doom. Like Marcel once said about the sound of Angels of Distress: "warm like nice spring sunny days." That line always cracks me up, as it's so over-the-top.
15.12.2014 - 22:50
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Not as good as Antithesis Of Light.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.06.2019 - 17:39
Metren
Dreadrealm
I actually think this is quite a bit better than Antithesis Of Light. AoL is perhaps a greater achievement in soundscape and atmosphere, but as great as that album is, little of it remains in my ears/head after listening to it and I enjoy Quietus a lot more for its songwriting. I think in their attempt to make every interval between notes an unusual and unpredictable one on Antithesis of Light, they ended up creating an album that was unique, but not as satisfying as this one. In a way, Quietus feels (for lack of a better expression) less mechanical/mathematical, less thought-out and more inspired than Antithesis Of Light.

EDIT: Also, the cello parts on this are absolutely gorgeous.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
16.09.2022 - 10:49
Rating: 7
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
One of the few funeral doom albums I've gotten through! Probably helped that I had it as background music while working, but I enjoyed it

Hits total: 10578 | This month: 21