Metal Storm logo
God Forbid

31.12.2006 - 05:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
This thread is for the discussion of Metalcore/Melodic Thrash band God forbid. Talk about older vs newer albums, changes in their sound, changes in their lineup, etc. Anything God Forbid goes. Let your opinions be known.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
31.12.2006 - 19:39
SteTech

The songs I've heard from them bored me, nothing special
01.01.2007 - 03:48
Endoftherainbow

This should be in the Alt Metal forum but I think God Forbid is a boring metalcore band with absolutely no special characteristics about them that would make me interested in them. I've only heard their new album and a couple songs from their old one but from what I have heard I do not like them.
01.01.2007 - 05:19
Stuff1056
Account deleted
I like 'em and they aren't metalcore.
01.01.2007 - 21:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 01.01.2007 at 05:19

I like 'em and they aren't metalcore.

Why arn't they Metalcore?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.01.2007 - 16:33
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Ok ive tried holding my tongue, but seeing as your asking why these guys aren't Metalcore gives the indication that you know they're Metalcore.... Why have you put this in the Extreme Metal thread?

You said they're brutal, but what songs do you think are so called 'brutal' in your opinion? You can obvisious see that I dont think they belong under the Extreme thread...
----

Hellcunt Smurf
03.01.2007 - 20:23
Endoftherainbow

But Shadows Fall is still by absolutely no means extreme metal. Maybe if you don't want to put them into the Alternative Metal forum then a better place for them would be the melodic metal forum because just because they use growls doesn't make them an extreme metal band. I'm saying this because bands like Opeth, In Flames, and Children of Bodom are in the Melodic Metal forum and they are easily alot more extreme then God Forbid. So wether they play a more extreme type of metalcore or not they still do not belong in this forum because they aren't extreme metal.
03.01.2007 - 23:33
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Endoftherainbow on 03.01.2007 at 20:23

But Shadows Fall is still by absolutely no means extreme metal. Maybe if you don't want to put them into the Alternative Metal forum then a better place for them would be the melodic metal forum because just because they use growls doesn't make them an extreme metal band. I'm saying this because bands like Opeth, In Flames, and Children of Bodom are in the Melodic Metal forum and they are easily alot more extreme then God Forbid. So wether they play a more extreme type of metalcore or not they still do not belong in this forum because they aren't extreme metal.

Shadows Fall Might play a little more melodicly now than what they used to, But I would say that their first two albums are brutal, and I'd say that they incorperate more brutality in their music today than they do melody. And god Forbid I would go as far to say that they are more extreme than shadows fall is today, though not as extreme as their first two albums.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

04.01.2007 - 05:59
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Will you stop using the term BRUTAL, leave that for real brutal bands that are actually what they are labelled. Bands like Abysmal Torment, Cryptopsy, Decrepit Birth, Suffocation, Deeds Of Flesh ... I could be here for awhile. There is nothing remotely related to 'brutal' in God Forbid's music. They dont come near Extreme Metal...

I wasnt really having a go at you before, but now your just being plan ignorant on their style.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
05.01.2007 - 06:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Xtreme Jax on 04.01.2007 at 05:59

Will you stop using the term BRUTAL, leave that for real brutal bands that are actually what they are labelled. Bands like Abysmal Torment, Cryptopsy, Decrepit Birth, Suffocation, Deeds Of Flesh ... I could be here for awhile. There is nothing remotely related to 'brutal' in God Forbid's music. They dont come near Extreme Metal...

I wasnt really having a go at you before, but now your just being plan ignorant on their style.

Ok, if I'm so Ignorant, please explain to me what defines something as extreme? Would you please explain to Me what Makes the term "Brutal" What it is? Does it always have to be blastbeats and Vocals so Gutteral that it sounds like Cookie Monster is Belching the Alphabet? Please master, Enlighten me.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

05.01.2007 - 08:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well...it doesn't always have to be...but it sure helps. I don't know if I could call a band brutal that builds their songs around melodies, unless they supplement them with some sort of brutality, such as brutal drumming and harsh vocals. Everyone has a different perspective on what is brutal or not, but I am willing to assume that most people who visit the extreme metal forum do not consider them to be brutal. If you like them, cool, but I don't know if you should keep on pushing the fact that they're some sort of an extreme band.
05.01.2007 - 09:49
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
@Arian Totalis:
Ok, we're both being aggressive and cocky here, so we'll calm a bit. If you think they belong here thats fine, i dont agree with it, but thats not up to me. But i will answer with:

The Extreme Metal forum is for bands that are Death, Black and Thrash metal bands and the sub-sub genres that come under those styles. Neither one of thse genres God Forbid would come under clearly. As Pyroleprechaun said the band builds their songs around melodies which brutal bands dont really consist much of melodic parts in their music. Having blast beats, low guteral death vocals does in most cases make a band considered in the genre as brutal.

As i said, if you think it belongs here... great, but an extreme metal band is something that im not going to agree with. Different people, different views.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.01.2007 - 03:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Xtreme Jax on 05.01.2007 at 09:49

@Arian Totalis:
Ok, we're both being aggressive and cocky here, so we'll calm a bit. If you think they belong here thats fine, i dont agree with it, but thats not up to me. But i will answer with:

The Extreme Metal forum is for bands that are Death, Black and Thrash metal bands and the sub-sub genres that come under those styles. Neither one of thse genres God Forbid would come under clearly. As Pyroleprechaun said the band builds their songs around melodies which brutal bands dont really consist much of melodic parts in their music. Having blast beats, low guteral death vocals does in most cases make a band considered in the genre as brutal.

As i said, if you think it belongs here... great, but an extreme metal band is something that im not going to agree with. Different people, different views.

Well....thank you for being the bigger man and agreeing to disagree. I think I will keep it here, however, because I do see them as Brutal. Even though I can admit they do use a lot of Melody, I think that they still come off as brutal to me. They use harsh, agressive vocals, Noticable Punchy Drums, and deep agressive rythyms. But I can respect your view also.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.02.2007 - 02:28
jeffgothro
Account deleted
Well, I was just turned on to these guys, IMO they rip. I think they are very brutal due to the heavy guitar riffage. They sound freash, not like the same recycled guitar riffs I hear so many other bands use over and over again. Personally I think this whole argument of what exact genres or sub genre is a bit rediculous and redundant, I mean really, who cares? I know I certainly dont. Just enjoy it and accept it for what it is. Good damn hard brutal metal!

Nuff said!

I also think its interesting they seem like a spiritual/christian band, I actually emailed them on this just out of curiosity and they said they are a spiritual band...very cool, nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I guess thats my 0.02$ for now...LATE!

-J
28.02.2007 - 03:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 28.02.2007 at 02:28

Well, I was just turned on to these guys, IMO they rip. I think they are very brutal due to the heavy guitar riffage. They sound freash, not like the same recycled guitar riffs I hear so many other bands use over and over again. Personally I think this whole argument of what exact genres or sub genre is a bit rediculous and redundant, I mean really, who cares? I know I certainly dont. Just enjoy it and accept it for what it is. Good damn hard brutal metal!

Nuff said!

I also think its interesting they seem like a spiritual/christian band, I actually emailed them on this just out of curiosity and they said they are a spiritual band...very cool, nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I guess thats my 0.02$ for now...LATE!

-J

Well the whole argument spiked because there are anti-metalcore elitists on this site, many of which are actually cool guys they just can't handle the scary classification, but you're right, who cares!

I love them as well, Dallas has some really unique rythyms, Have you heard their debut album? Oh My god it railroads through! and I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're christian, but yea they are spiritual. They usually actually take a sort of stance against organized religion, listen to the song "Network" from their first album, that's what it's all about.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.02.2007 - 04:29
jeffgothro
Account deleted
I plan on buying there albums sometime in the near future I hope (bills, bills, bills...come first lol) Um, however, since I'm new to these guys I did download some stuff so I could get a quick fix and hear what they are all about. I know some of what I have is off the Constitution Of Treason album. What I have is...

Antihero
Chains Of Hmanity
Constitution Of Treason
Dark Waters
Divinity
End of The World
Gone Forever
Judge The Blood
Living Nightmare
No Sympathy
Better Days
Broken Promise
Crucify Your Beliefs
Divide My Destiny
Force-Fed
Gone Forever
Into The Wasteland
Precious Life
The Lonely Dead
To The Fallen Hero
Under This Flag
Washed Out World

Thats it...I've been listing to all those songs pretty much all day, not really a bad song in the whole bunch, good damn metal.
28.02.2007 - 05:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 28.02.2007 at 04:29

I plan on buying there albums sometime in the near future I hope (bills, bills, bills...come first lol) Um, however, since I'm new to these guys I did download some stuff so I could get a quick fix and hear what they are all about. I know some of what I have is off the Constitution Of Treason album. What I have is...

Antihero
Chains Of Hmanity
Constitution Of Treason
Dark Waters
Divinity
End of The World
Gone Forever
Judge The Blood
Living Nightmare
No Sympathy
Better Days
Broken Promise
Crucify Your Beliefs
Divide My Destiny
Force-Fed
Gone Forever
Into The Wasteland
Precious Life
The Lonely Dead
To The Fallen Hero
Under This Flag
Washed Out World

Thats it...I've been listing to all those songs pretty much all day, not really a bad song in the whole bunch, good damn metal.

yer danm right it is. It seems you have some songs from pretty much every album from their discography, at least all the way back to "Gone Forever." Which was the second studio album they released. Their entire discography entails Determination
Gone Forever
The "Better Days" EP
Constitution of treason.
And now they're shooting a DVD as well ^_^ Have you seen any of their video's?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

28.02.2007 - 07:38
jeffgothro
Account deleted
I saw one vid, I forget where, I think it was originally off there site I dont know, it was live and sounded horrible...the quality was really shitty. Should I watch whats on the site, is the quality any good?
01.03.2007 - 00:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 28.02.2007 at 07:38

I saw one vid, I forget where, I think it was originally off there site I dont know, it was live and sounded horrible...the quality was really shitty. Should I watch whats on the site, is the quality any good?

well, here are some videos of better quality

Better Days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYfTkl2Ycs

Antihero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKaYc2lfXM

End of the world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_6TLg3vQo

To the fallen hero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwhJ6JV25Y

Enjoy
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

01.03.2007 - 06:17
jeffgothro
Account deleted
Thx brah...
01.03.2007 - 06:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I actually met the lead singer when they were opening for Arch Enemy, I didnt realize it was him until he went on stage later on that night (since I never really looked into God Forbid previous to that), after they put on a very pathetic show at best I was glad I was kind of a jerk to that guy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2007 - 16:57
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
and since when were god forbid thrash? they've played in my city several times and every time i've heard them i just thought they sounded like metal-core.
02.03.2007 - 00:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 01.03.2007 at 06:17

Thx brah...

Hey man no prob, maby you'll like this as well http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=21266756

and @Dr. Rock: wow......you sure are an asswhole. I've seen God Forbid live and I love the hell outa them. Maby we just have different Ideas if what constitutes "Good Show"
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

13.03.2007 - 05:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.03.2007 at 00:08

Written by Guest on 01.03.2007 at 06:17

Thx brah...

Hey man no prob, maby you'll like this as well http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=21266756

and @Dr. Rock: wow......you sure are an asswhole. I've seen God Forbid live and I love the hell outa them. Maby we just have different Ideas if what constitutes "Good Show"

I guess, and yes I am an asshole. But maybe I had a hard time enjoying them because they came on right after Hate Eternal and right before Chimaira who both put on a kickass performance.
----
- George Carlin
24.04.2007 - 05:13
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
@Dr.Rock: Yeah i've heard people say that most metalcore bands suck live, i've seen Unearth live when they were in Hamilton Ontario recently and they sucked bad, especily when you compare them to Slayer who they were touring with .

Anyways God Forbids a pretty cool band and although i've only heard about 10 songs by them I can tell theyre probably the best metalcore band i've ever heard (and a good band in general). Anyone got any song recommendations?
24.04.2007 - 07:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 24.04.2007 at 05:13

@Dr.Rock: Yeah i've heard people say that most metalcore bands suck live, i've seen Unearth live when they were in Hamilton Ontario recently and they sucked bad, especily when you compare them to Slayer who they were touring with .

Thats good to know, there opening for Dimmu which Im going to, so I guess I'll skip there set.

Im not sure if it was just me who really disliked the God Forbid set because there was some people who appeared to be having a good time....and by some I mean like 8.
----
- George Carlin
24.04.2007 - 23:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 24.04.2007 at 05:13

Anyways God Forbids a pretty cool band and although i've only heard about 10 songs by them I can tell theyre probably the best metalcore band i've ever heard (and a good band in general). Anyone got any song recommendations?

If you can get Gone Forever, that album is an Undeniably their best. (Well Constitution of treason comes close I guess). Also, their first album is pretty brutal, though it gets dry after a while. I would check out the Song "Network" From that album were I you. I think it's on their Myspace.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

29.05.2007 - 09:17
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
@Arain Totalis
W007 for teh Gone Forever definitely their best album.
@everyone
it is an undisputed fact that god forbid kicks more ass than a bucketfull of pelicans. they do great studion work and they are fucking amazing live. If you ever get a chance to see them do not pass it by, SEE THEM!
29.05.2007 - 12:48
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Yeah, to bad a bucket full of pelicans sucks a fucking lot. That makes God Forbid, what, just better than that...
----

Hellcunt Smurf
18.06.2008 - 07:07
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
An interview with god forbid regardng their new DVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsUfmvjbdw
----
-Kakita Toshimoko