01. For Those Who Died Asleep (Intro)
02. Allergic Sun
03. What Are You Waiting For?
04. In Memory Of The Truth
05. Let Me In
06. Like A Fallen Leaf
07. The Light At The End Of The World
08. Silence No More

Glad To Be Dead is the sophomore effort from Samara's Wine From Tears, following up the oddly named Through The Eyes Of A Mad. Not familiar with their fragment-titled initial offering, the 2013 vintage was my first taste of WFT.

Being a death-doom outfit from Russia, they show the influences one might expect: Saturnus, Officium Triste, etc. Also have to wonder if there was some weepy cross-pollination with another Russian death-doom act in the Solitude family, Amber Tears. The odd but enjoyable bagpipe sounding lead tone I've mentioned in Amber Tears' works also surfaces here, as in "Like A Fallen Leaf". (Insert lame joke here about wine from amber tears being a Grenache Rose?)

Also being a Russian death-doom band on the Solitude family, in addition to traits similar to the aforementioned acts, one might expect full, lush production in which everything has its place.
This would also hold true.

For the most part it sounds gorgeous.

The instruments are balanced, keys in the background adding atmosphere over some evocative leads, plodding drums. All of which is rather well executed if not particularly original. Song structure is well done in that it slowly builds up in intensity a bit as they develop. While there are a few (super slo mo) headbangy moments, there aren't any shocking wild left-turns or anything. I guess the simplest description is they flow.

Vocally they have some great death rawrs, and while the clean vocals aren't anything to email home about, they're not abysmal either. They toss in some female vocals, allowing them to take center stage on the closer, "Silence No More".

While Wine From Tears might be Glad To Be Dead, listening to GTBD certainly didn't make me feel sorry to be alive.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 13.09.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 164 users
13.09.2013 - 10:09
Merchant of Doom

Very good album, but not incredibly original... on par with the first release, though. Recommended if you like your doom/death melodic and not über-tortured...
13.09.2013 - 19:50
Rating: 8
CyberSymphony
Ollie
A fair review, the album isn't very original but I enjoyed it alot.
13.09.2013 - 19:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
I'm intrigued, and feel obligated to check this out since I've found that I have a taste for some Death/Doom bands nowadays, you list Officium Triste as feeling like an influence, and their album was released on my birthday this year.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.09.2013 - 21:44
Rating: 9
MELANCOHOLIC

This album is lovely though they dont match their debut. The Clean vocalías could be better but the melancholy i breathe with this release is awsome. Their last song is quite different From the rest but it has cool riffs. Very good album. It leaves me wanting for more
14.09.2013 - 03:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Well, I checked out the first song I came to on YouTube, "Let Me In", and it's really good. This might even rival Officium Triste for best Doom release for me in 2013 if the rest of the album is as good as that. Gotta get this asap!
----

15.09.2013 - 16:00
Himedal

Will someone explain to me the definition of "ORIGINALITY" ?? 6 is not at all fair.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
15.09.2013 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Himedal on 15.09.2013 at 16:00

Will someone explain to me the definition of "ORIGINALITY" ?? 6 is not at all fair.

they have the same sound as so many melodic death doom bands before them, without giving a twist of their own to it, so I don't see a problem with the originality score of 6 at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.09.2013 - 20:11
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Himedal on 15.09.2013 at 16:00

What marcel said. seems fairly easy to grasp.

and speaking of fair... checked your album ratings to see what your point of reference is. straight 1's to an act? what's fair in that? especially when you think everything else a 9 or 10. (consider this an informal warning, btw, on your voting patterns. entire discographies of 1's or 10's are viewed as abuse. adjust them or they will be nuked. must be FAIR to the rest of the community.)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.09.2013 - 22:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Himedal on 18.09.2013 at 21:13

I'm flattered that you checked my profile brother. do what you must. I will be pleased anyway. and will continue hating Manson anyway since he's not at all a metalhead (if that's what you mean).

You can hate Marilyn Manson all you want, but giving 1s to any band's entire discography just because you don't like them IS considered rating abuse and can result in your entire rating history being nuked. And continuing to abuse the rating system can result in either those privileges being removed entirely, or you being removed entirely.
----

22.09.2013 - 12:16
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I still didn't give them a chance,but soon after reading this gonna hear them.
----
The Fangirl.
11.10.2013 - 16:10
cobrapel
Concept One
Excellent album, close to 10 imho... in its non-originality
19.11.2016 - 05:33
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
This album is pretty decent. Not much different than their first.
19.11.2016 - 08:17
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Bloody Rain's post reminded me that WFT are working on new album. Just saw their facebook page and listened to rough snippet coming from studio, it looks yum.

Hits total: 5093 | This month: 6