05. Preservation Of Death
06. Wrought In Hell
07. Resurrectionists
08. The Dead Shall Dead Remain
09. Critical Condition
10. Medical Waste
11. Dead Alive
12. Coda Morte

Since Impaled signed to Century Media, I thought things would go better for them, but I was wrong. Well, the first improvement I was expecting to see from them was that their production would be better (I probably thought it would because I thought Century Media is a label that pays a lot of attention to the production, but I was wrong again). Not only hasn't it become any better, but it has actually become a lot worse compared to their older releases. Well, I'm sure a lot of you don't even care about that, and I also personally don't care about the quality of some releases, mostly black metal or very dark music because it somehow goes hand in hand with the music, but that is not the case for most death metal bands. When I listen to death metal, I want to be able to actually hear all the instruments clearly without having to raise the volume of the music to the top.

But ok, let's put the (awful) production of the album aside for a while and see what the main changes on the new album are since the last time we heard them? Well, the new album has lost a lot of speed and anger that we had on their previous release: The dead shall dead remain. All the Carcass stamps on the band are still on them and haven't been washed away. Some people say they are Carcass rip offs, I don't like to get into if they are actually "rip offs" or not, but I can say that there are quite a lot of riffs in their music that directly reminds one of Carcass, and the vocals does not sound too different than the famous "Carcass style" growls either.

Beside all that, the lyrics and themes in their music are nothing new, original or creative. It's just about gore, brutality and some "evil" surgeons torturing their patients.

In the end, I didn't like this album and neither did I like their older releases, but comparing this new album with their older works it actually makes the older ones shine like a sharpened trophy in an old basement. So if you don't know this band but really feel like you have an urge to check them out, then at least start with their older releases first.

Written by Azhidahak | 14.07.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 31 users
31.12.2006 - 15:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Man no offense but this review totally sucks... it doesn't say absolutely anything, except that the production is bad, it's not original and the author don't like lyrics about gore...

I personally like this band a lot, and espoecially this album... it has a filthy density, and the tangled rotten noise result of the production fits actually rather well with the music delivered... I would had rate it with an 8
14.08.2007 - 23:28
Infurnace

I don't agree with the review either. The production may be bad, but the album itself isn't bad at all. It's my favorite Impaled album, after Mondo Medicale.

Hits total: 4344 | This month: 11