Metal Storm logo
Evolution: Sailing The Seas Of Prog

Recently, instead of scouring too much the albums of the year I'm in, I decided to take a deeper journey and appreciate progressive music (prog metal/rock). While I'm still in the early beginnings of my journey, I decided to make a list to the albums I fully listen to so that I can keep charting my voyage in these vast seas. Some albums are not yet added because I need to listen them well and grab my favorites out, and some bands are on queue. I'm also eager to hear some recommendations, so thanks in advance for them!

Bands on queue: Porcupine Tree, Leprous, Winds, In Vain, Ikuinen Kaamos, Disillusion.

The list is in alphabetical order.

Created by: Iron Nostarion | 22.09.2013

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation
2. Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve
3. Blotted Science - The Machinations Of Dementia
4. Control Denied - The Fragile Art Of Existence
5. Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons [EP]
6. Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
7. Dream Theater - Awake
8. Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
9. Dream Theater - Dream Theater
10. Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity
11. Dream Theater - Images And Words
12. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory
13. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
14. Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
15. Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
16. Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite
17. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
18. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
19. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
20. The Faceless - Autotheism
21. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
22. Haken - The Mountain
23. Ihsahn - Eremita
24. In Mourning - The Weight Of Oceans
25. Jethro Tull - Aqualung
26. Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
27. Jethro Tull - Stand Up
28. Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
29. King Crimson - Beat
30. King Crimson - Discipline
31. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
32. King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
33. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
34. King Crimson - Red
35. King Crimson - Starless And Bible Black
36. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
37. Mastodon - Leviathan
38. Meshuggah - Chaosphere
39. Meshuggah - Koloss
40. Meshuggah - ObZen
41. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I
42. Nevermore - Dead Heart, In A Dead World
43. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
44. Opeth - Blackwater Park
45. Opeth - Deliverance
46. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
47. Opeth - Heritage
48. Opeth - Morningrise
49. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
50. Opeth - Still Life
51. Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
52. Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Part I
53. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
54. Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets
55. Pink Floyd - Animals
56. Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
57. Pink Floyd - Meddle
58. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
59. Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
60. Pink Floyd - The Wall
61. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
62. Queensrÿche - Empire
63. Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
64. Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime II
65. Queensrÿche - The Warning
66. Rare Bird - Sympathy
67. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
68. Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
69. Rush - 2112
70. Rush - A Farewell To Kings
71. Rush - Caress Of Steel
72. Rush - Clockwork Angels
73. Rush - Hemispheres
74. Rush - Moving Pictures
75. Rush - Permanent Waves
76. Rush - Snakes & Arrows
77. Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King
78. Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera
79. Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
80. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
81. Symphony X - Iconoclast
82. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
83. Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
84. Symphony X - The Odyssey
85. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
86. Tool - 10,000 Days
87. Tool - Ænima
88. Tool - Lateralus
89. Tool - Undertow
90. Voivod - Nothingface
91. Yes - 90125
92. Yes - Close To The Edge
93. Yes - Fragile
94. Yes - Going For The One
95. Yes - Relayer
96. Yes - The Yes Album

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Iron Nostarion ]

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 46   Visited by: 103 users
25.09.2013 - 10:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Sznc on 24.09.2013 at 18:36

A standard list with standard/popular choices, at least for the Prog Rock part. I wouldn't call this an "evolution" of the genre, tbh.

I think he's talking about his evolution in listening to progressive music, not the evolution of the genre; I agree he's listed a lot of famous 70s albums, but at least there are some great ones, missing in others' lists.
No Genesis yet? The albums of 1970-1977 are amazing, check them out.
Also you need to listen to some Camel, Nektar, Eloy, Jane, Caravan, Renaissance, Gentle Giant, Procol Harum, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, UK, Kansas to name a few.
In the 80s, Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night (only their debut album though), Pendragon (although they started improving later on in the 90s and 00s) did some nice work.
Anekdoten is another band I warmly recommend.

And I still haven't named any prog obscurities
25.09.2013 - 12:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Iron Nostarion on 25.09.2013 at 05:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.09.2013 at 18:19

But Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor is almost an Opeth rip-off, so why would you list it?

Considering your expertise Lord Marcel, should I also add Disillusion to the queue of bands as well?

I listened to it again after JOEE's remark on it and he was right it wasn't Disillusion I was thinking of but Farmakon's debut which is the Opeth rip-off.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2013 - 17:14
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 24.09.2013 at 23:33

Written by mz on 24.09.2013 at 23:22

I somehow agree with you, but do not have any other more tag to throw on EoS. Extreme prog maybe?

I've no issue with calling it progressive death metal, as it has a decent amount of death metal in. Even has a tiny bit of black at one or two points. Extreme prog is what I would call Dan Swano's Moontower album.

Exactly, it's indeed progressive death metal, although never heard any black in it. Only listened to Moontower once and it seemed also progressive death to me, but extreme progressive I can also see.
25.09.2013 - 17:17
Erik M.

Considering your expertise Lord Marcel, should I also add Disillusion to the queue of bands as well?

Why need his approval? You can also find out for yourself if you just give the album a try. If you're into progressive metal, it's highly likely you'll enjoy the album.
25.09.2013 - 17:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 25.09.2013 at 17:14

Exactly, it's indeed progressive death metal, although never heard any black in it. Only listened to Moontower once and it seemed also progressive death to me, but extreme progressive I can also see.

The only death metal in Moontower are the growls. No death metal passages that I recall. As for black metal in Edge of Sanity I was mostly thinking of Crimson on a couple of passages.

21.01 - 21.11 for example sounds pretty black metal

Really only is the tiniest amount, not even worth mentioning.
25.09.2013 - 19:05
Sznc

Written by Iron Nostarion on 25.09.2013 at 05:46

A standard list with standard/popular choices, at least for the Prog Rock part. I wouldn't call this an "evolution" of the genre, tbh.

I was mentioning that as an evolution of my music taste; not that I objectively think prog "is an evolution of music", but more like in the notion of the word "progress" as with the genre tag. xD

so there's a lot more of Prog ROck for you to discover. Enjoy the music
26.09.2013 - 16:22
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Sznc on 25.09.2013 at 19:05

Written by Iron Nostarion on 25.09.2013 at 05:46

I was mentioning that as an evolution of my music taste; not that I objectively think prog "is an evolution of music", but more like in the notion of the word "progress" as with the genre tag. xD

so there's a lot more of Prog ROck for you to discover. Enjoy the music

Yes, thank you. A lot more prog rock and a lot more prog metal. This list was merely made in the sense of getting some more recommendations as well as charting the many albums I've gotten that can accept the tag progressive by a large number of people; since I do find my enjoyment to be mostly in progressive music. :3
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
26.09.2013 - 16:24
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Erik M. on 25.09.2013 at 17:17

Why need his approval? You can also find out for yourself if you just give the album a try. If you're into progressive metal, it's highly likely you'll enjoy the album.

Well my queue is filled up with bands besides the ones mentioned in the queue here and I'm looking for real recommendations from experienced reviewers or prog fans or basically anyone; hate wasting my time on an album that turns out to be extremely mediocre. My downloads are also a bit limited due to the slow connection, hahahaha. But from your recommendation I guess I'll add Disillusion to the queue. :3
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
26.09.2013 - 17:08
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 25.09.2013 at 17:20

The only death metal in Moontower are the growls. No death metal passages that I recall. As for black metal in Edge of Sanity I was mostly thinking of Crimson on a couple of passages.

21.01 - 21.11 for example sounds pretty black metal

Really only is the tiniest amount, not even worth mentioning.

Okay, then I'll correct Moontower's genre in my lists, thanks.

And yes, I know Crimson and that part you're referring to very well, but I never recognized it as black metal, until now.
26.09.2013 - 17:35
Sznc

Written by Guest on 25.09.2013 at 10:53

I think he's talking about his evolution in listening to progressive music, not the evolution of the genre; I agree he's listed a lot of famous 70s album, but at list there are some great ones, missing in others' lists.
No Genesis yet? The albums of 1970-1977 are amazing, check them out.
Also you need to listen to some Camel, Nektar, Eloy, Jane, Caravan, Renaissance, Gentle Giant, Procol Harum, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, UK, Kansas to name a few.
In the 80s, Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night (only their debut album though), Pendragon (although they started improving later on in the 90s and 00s) did some nice work.
Anekdoten is another band I warmly recommend.

hey, care to share the obscurities? my list consists of only few entries, namely Culpeper's Orchard, T2, 2066 and Then, Islands, Thors Hammer, Family, Spirit, Gazpacho, Grobschnitt, Paladin, Ritual, Pyramids, Web, Solaris and Polyphony. Looking forward to discover more prog
26.09.2013 - 18:40
Bleak Dragon

Hey Iron, one of the best places to practice your prog addiction is http://www.progarchives.com, if you don't already know it. One of the better prog sites on the web. Looks like you've got a great start, despite whatever Marcel says about most prog metal being generic and his general dislike of Ayreon. I would argue there are two ways to look at prog: one is in terms of the actual technical musical "progression" and by that I mean the mechanics of technicalities and progressive chords,etc. which is where you find DT and their various clones, and the second is in terms of pushing beyond a mindset (generic or not) past the boundaries of the previously explored both mentally and musically. This is why I consider a band like, say, Radiohead, have been progressive (past tense intended), just as much as Rush (who are generally spinning their wheels these days) or King Crimson or Porcupine Tree. I would argue the late sixties/seventies was the pinnacle for this era both because of the new musical possibilities due to the equipment available and the mix of great expectations and disillusionment that generation experienced. Which makes for interesting comparisons with our era's prog, including generic DT music. And you really have to check out the Italian scene and bands like Banco and PFM. Cheers.
27.09.2013 - 12:55
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hey, care to share the obscurities? my list consists of only few entries, namely Culpeper's Orchard, T2, 2066 and Then, Islands, Thors Hammer, Family, Spirit, Gazpacho, Grobschnitt, Paladin, Ritual, Pyramids, Web, Solaris and Polyphony. Looking forward to discover more prog

well, you might know more bands than me
Grobschnitt and Gazpacho are not that obscure, most progheads have heard of them. I also know T2, Family from them bands you mention there.

Here are some less known/obscure bands I listen to:

Ange - French prog, they are still making music but their 70s albums are great.
Mad Puppet - Italian band, their debut album called Masque (1982) is great, they had the guts to play like it was 1973
Colosseum and Colosseum II - jazz-rock fussion - basically them same band but Colosseum II had only the drummer from the original line up of Colosseum. In Colosseum II, you had Gary Moore and Don Airey who made some of their best work here.
I don't know if you have listened to Pavlov's Dog debut album - Pampered Menial (1975), it's great although their singer is what people called an acquired taste.
Windchase - Australian prog band, their album Symphinity from 1977 is nice, well, i love it. They have some Camel and jazz-rock fusion influnces, the musicians are really competent.
Twelfth Night's debut album from 1982 called Fact and Fiction is an underrated gem, definitely worth listening.
Landmarq is a neo-prog band that's pretty good although I only listen to their first 3 albums, they had Damian Wilson on vocals.
Deja- Vu was a Norwegian prog band with only one album called Between the Leaves (1976), it has become one of my favourite albums (they have some Yes and Genesis influences, even some MKII Deep Purple).
Khan - Space Shanty - 1972 is another underrated gem (Canterbury Scene/space rock)
I mentioned Jane earlier, they are not obscure but definitely underrated, their 70s albums are great, some albums better/more inspired than others, great music anyway.

The early albums of the dutch band Earth & Fire are great, female fronted, a great singer (whose name I forget right now); German band Carol of Harvest, female fronted, too is a nice listen as well (they have only one. self titled album).

I'll be back with some more examples.
27.09.2013 - 17:52
mz

I really think that it's better for you to adopt a "two albums per band" approach. Is this list meant to indicate all the progressive metal albums you've heard or it's about your personal favorites?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
27.09.2013 - 18:20
Erik M.

Written by mz on 27.09.2013 at 17:52

I really think that it's better for you to adopt a "two albums per band" approach. Is this list meant to indicate all the progressive metal albums you've heard or it's about your personal favorites?

Read my comment of a few days ago. I said the exact same thing. Hell, even 3 albums/band would be a huge improvement. Now he just made a list of most/all albums by bands he likes, which is totally annoying to me. However, if this list is just solely stuff that he has heard, then it's understandable. But then again, it's not all that interesting to others I'd say.
27.09.2013 - 18:37
mz

Written by Erik M. on 27.09.2013 at 18:20

Written by mz on 27.09.2013 at 17:52

Read my comment of a few days ago. I said the exact same thing. Hell, even 3 albums/band would be a huge improvement. Now he just made a list of most/all albums by bands he likes, which is totally annoying to me. However, if this list is just solely stuff that he has heard, then it's understandable. But then again, it's not all that interesting to others I'd say.

well, it's his list and he can do whatever he wants but IMO including 12 dream theater albums does not have any point and does not add any value to the context of list and he has done such thing with other bands like opeth, yes and pink floyed. He can add those albums (if featured on MS) to his collection if they are merely included here to show his collection of progressive metal.
Again, I admit that It's none of my business.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.09.2014 - 15:11
Hazelnut Nero

Geart list ,check mine if you want . http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3811

Hits total: 3505 | This month: 8