04. Emerald [remix]
05. Jailbreak [BBC Session 12/02/1976]
06. Emerald [BBC Session 12/02/1976]
07. Cowboy Song [BBC Session 12/02/1976]
08. Warriors [BBC Session 12/02/1976]
09. Fight or Fall [Extended version - rough mix]
10. Blues Boy
11. Derby Blues

"Jailbreak" and "The Boys Are Back In Town" are a couple of Thin Lizzy classics that even today you might hear on a classic rock radio station. They are very recognizable songs for this band but the truth is Thin Lizzy are no two hit wonders; they had plenty more than a couple stand-outs up their sleeve on their opus Jailbreak.

Now, I would not consider this album metal. It is definitely done in an old school hard rock style. That said, a huge range of metal bands have taken influence from Thin Lizzy and on this album it is clear why. They brought their A-game in the riff department and the duelling guitar harmonies displayed on the album, for example the fantastic ending to "The Boys Are Back In Town", are a staple of heavy metal as a genre.

Besides being an influential band this entire album is top quality work. Jailbreak has earned a revered place in rock and roll history through proficient and varied song writing, displaying a talent for writing both slower tunes and harder driving pieces. Even at their most accessible the song writing is interesting enough to make Jailbreak a great ride the whole way through. This is made even better by great performances all around from the whole band, especially Phil Lynott's unique and compelling vocals. He really had a great singing voice and displays his talents in a range of ways on this album. From slower and more emotional pieces like "Running Back" to guitar driven ones like "Warriors" everyone does their job very well and the album holds its energy and momentum from start to finish. Jailbreak is truly an impressive piece of music as a whole.

All in all Jailbreak is a true classic and is masterfully crafted and influential to many future musicians. Even aside from the couple of famous tracks the album has depth and songs like "Running Back" and "Fight Or Fall" complete the experience. A definite must have and to most (including myself) the peak studio effort in Thin Lizzy's career.

I would like to dedicate this review to the memory of Phil Lynott: rest in peace and thank you for sharing your wonderful voice with the world.

Written by Mattybu | 19.09.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 42 users
24.09.2013 - 03:52
Rating: 10
Metalex

Nice review man i do own this Jailbreak cd rock on!
24.09.2013 - 05:07
Mattybu

Written by Metalex on 24.09.2013 at 03:52

Nice review man i do own this Jailbreak cd rock on!

Thanks man. To be honest this is probably one of the best hard rock albums ever if not the best.
24.09.2013 - 11:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
You mention 'Jailbreak' and 'The Boys Are Back IN Town' as the two classics on this album when in fact 'Cowboy Song' (to a slighter lesser extrent) and especially 'Emerald' are just as much classics which you will still hear on classic rock radio, at clubs and in films.

Thise four songs are the true classics hits off this album

Great album it is but am not sure if it is my favourite Lizzy album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.09.2013 - 15:08
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.09.2013 at 11:40

You mention 'Jailbreak' and 'The Boys Are Back IN Town' as the two classics on this album when in fact 'Cowboy Song' (to a slighter lesser extrent) and especially 'Emerald' are just as much classics which you will still hear on classic rock radio, at clubs and in films.

Thise four songs are the true classics hits off this album

Great album it is but am not sure if it is my favourite Lizzy album

Well, Jailbreak and The Boys Are Back In Town are probably the two most well known. You are right about Emerald, that one seems to be well loved by the metal community as well. Cowboy Song is super catchy too. I probably like Fight or Fall the best on this album though. There are no bad tracks but that or The Boys Are Back In Town would have to be my favourite, the latter really capturing the trademark Thin Lizzy sound.
22.07.2015 - 01:18
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Thin Lizzy is not metal, well nowadays meaning of metal, its hard rock but band looks much metal as people might think. Old school clothing insipraed many metalheads
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 2701 | This month: 6