Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
16.01.2016 - 03:54
no one
Account deleted
Mean song from a great split

16.01.2016 - 06:44
no one
Account deleted
An album for when feeling lethargic

11.02.2016 - 20:59
Mayhemer
Kistvaen, they have 2 albums so far, Unbekannte and Desolate Ways if I recall corectly. You can find them on Bandcamp.
09.03.2016 - 07:32
no one
Account deleted
09.03.2016 - 10:37
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Guest on 09.03.2016 at 07:32

what is it like? Good album?
09.03.2016 - 21:00
no one
Account deleted
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 09.03.2016 at 10:37

what is it like? Good album?

I just posted the whole album, you decide.

Couple of stand out tracks i liked yesterday while sleep deprived, but would need more listens to say for sure
13.03.2016 - 01:18
Goat whore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13.03.2016 - 01:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by vinnie vincent on 13.03.2016 at 01:18

More irrelevant band name spamming, aye? This band is not depressive black metal...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

24.03.2016 - 06:47
Sang Dalang Abu

24.03.2016 - 16:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 24.03.2016 at 06:47

Click on his profile and check his other comments.
You will understand
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.03.2016 - 18:55
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Karlabos on 24.03.2016 at 16:18

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 24.03.2016 at 06:47

Click on his profile and check his other comments.
You will understand

This comment, I love it
02.04.2016 - 10:30
no one
Account deleted
Old song, new video with lyrics

11.04.2016 - 08:39
no one
Account deleted
From the long awaited "waste of skin" that still hasn't been released yet

22.04.2016 - 21:35
MnetalEclipse
Account deleted
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7CooO9GmU
one of my favorite DSBM albums. too band they haven't done anything since this release
23.04.2016 - 09:43
no one
Account deleted
good shit!

24.04.2016 - 22:02
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Very nice album this one
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
30.04.2016 - 16:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Maco on 24.04.2016 at 22:02

Very nice album this one

Great stuff! Funny how they went from being a Dimmu Borgir copy to a really good depressive black metal band.
----
03.11.2020 - 17:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.11.2020 - 19:24
BetulaObscura
In case nobody mentioned...

Xasthur
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
24.12.2020 - 06:01
tintinb
I recently started my foray into DSBM by listening to the whole discography of Psychonaut4. Funnily enough the music doesn't sound depressive at all. It instead sounded really uplifting. The lyrics were mostly about dying due to drug overdose. Drugs did become a major subject matter for these dudes.

These guys are from Georgia and they have a fuck load of fans. As soon as I talked about them in my Instagram feed and started to follow them, I personally had some handsome numbers of people following me. Their profiles suggested they themselves are huge fans of DSBM.

The music in itself is really good. It's creative enough to not get boring. There's some real passion been put into singing. Also some of the best howling I have ever heard from a metal band. The guy can literally cry inconsolably in the microphone, howling with pain but the background soundtrack makes it a piece of art.

They have also released a number of split albums with various artists. These artists are also very well versed in their craft. Most of them are DSBM acts.

Overall a great find and I am now a huge fan of these guys.
----
Leeches everywhere.
24.12.2020 - 06:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by tintinb on 24.12.2020 at 06:01

I recently started my foray into DSBM...

Been a while since I did any deep diving into that scene but if you enjoy that uplifting style of dsbm, I highly recommend Gris. They've only released two albums, neither of which are available on any legit streaming services, but both are absolutely top-tier when it comes to that specific type of atmosphere.

Both musicians involved are classically trained and utilize their strengths to incorporate piano and violin particularly well. Their instrumental tracks are especially beautiful.

A similar case can also be made for Woods Of Desolation, ColdWorld, and Lifelover, the latter of which tends to focus more on post-rock so not quite as strict to the dsbm sound.

If you delve deeper and find yourself open to exploring the more raw, aggressive, and stripped down styles of dsbm, just let me know and I can offer more starting points.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.12.2020 - 08:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Suicidal Emotions on vinyl again via Darker Than Black.

https://black-metal.shop/product_info.php?products_id=5106
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
25.12.2020 - 11:58
tintinb
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.12.2020 at 06:45

I recently started my foray into DSBM...

Been a while since I did any deep diving into that scene but if you enjoy that uplifting style of dsbm, I highly recommend Gris. They've only released two albums, neither of which are available on any legit streaming services, but both are absolutely top-tier when it comes to that specific type of atmosphere.

Both musicians involved are classically trained and utilize their strengths to incorporate piano and violin particularly well. Their instrumental tracks are especially beautiful.

A similar case can also be made for Woods Of Desolation, ColdWorld, and Lifelover, the latter of which tends to focus more on post-rock so not quite as strict to the dsbm sound.

If you delve deeper and find yourself open to exploring the more raw, aggressive, and stripped down styles of dsbm, just let me know and I can offer more starting points.

Would definitely try these bands out.
----
Leeches everywhere.
04.01.2021 - 08:29
no one

I recently started my foray into DSBM by listening to the whole discography of Psychonaut4. Funnily enough the music doesn't sound depressive at all. It instead sounded really uplifting. The lyrics were mostly about dying due to drug overdose. Drugs did become a major subject matter for these dudes.

These guys are from Georgia and they have a fuck load of fans. As soon as I talked about them in my Instagram feed and started to follow them, I personally had some handsome numbers of people following me. Their profiles suggested they themselves are huge fans of DSBM.

The music in itself is really good. It's creative enough to not get boring. There's some real passion been put into singing. Also some of the best howling I have ever heard from a metal band. The guy can literally cry inconsolably in the microphone, howling with pain but the background soundtrack makes it a piece of art.

They have also released a number of split albums with various artists. These artists are also very well versed in their craft. Most of them are DSBM acts.

Yeah one of the bands they do a split with is Vanhelga, I'd highly recommend them as they are on par with psychonaut 4 except actually depressing.
Another like psychonaut 4 except a lot more mellow and xanaxy is Apati, they aren't around anymore though as the vocalist overdosed.

Happy Days, a genuinely depressed guy making some really harrowing musiic. A lot of hit and miss albums but I'd recommend "Happiness Stops Here..." And "Cause of Death: Life".
I'd second all the bands Troy mentioned too especially lifelover as I'm pretty sure Psychonaut 4 were really influenced by them. I myself prefer the vocalists other band Hypothermia which is a more monotonous depressive black metal with amazing vocals.

Others worth mentioning would be Trist, Silencer, Xasthur, Ofdrykkja and Austere
----
Unable to connect to the database
04.01.2021 - 08:44
tintinb
Written by no one on 04.01.2021 at 08:29

Yeah one of the bands they do a split with is Vanhelga, I'd highly recommend them as they are on par with psychonaut 4 except actually depressing.
Another like psychonaut 4 except a lot more mellow and xanaxy is Apati, they aren't around anymore though as the vocalist overdosed.

Happy Days, a genuinely depressed guy making some really harrowing musiic. A lot of hit and miss albums but I'd recommend "Happiness Stops Here..." And "Cause of Death: Life".
I'd second all the bands Troy mentioned too especially lifelover as I'm pretty sure Psychonaut 4 were really influenced by them. I myself prefer the vocalists other band Hypothermia which is a more monotonous depressive black metal with amazing vocals.

Others worth mentioning would be Trist, Silencer, Xasthur, Ofdrykkja and Austere

I have listened to Vanhelga. Will definitely check out the rest of the bands.
----
Leeches everywhere.
05.04.2021 - 11:12
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Coldworld are a good choice imo. And perhaps Shining?