Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
18.08.2010 - 07:09
whatsacow

Just discovered Coldwater. Most beautifully depressive thing i have ever heard. I can't wait to hear more from these guys.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
19.08.2010 - 21:13
The Turbanator

Written by whatsacow on 18.08.2010 at 07:09

Just discovered Coldwater. Most beautifully depressive thing i have ever heard. I can't wait to hear more from these guys.

Is it Coldwater, or Coldworld? I tried finding Coldwater but can't get any results. Coldworld is quality, though.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
19.08.2010 - 23:49
Mikyz

Written by The Turbanator on 19.08.2010 at 21:13

Is it Coldwater, or Coldworld? I tried finding Coldwater but can't get any results. Coldworld is quality, though.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about Coldworld. I mean who names a band Coldwater ?
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
20.08.2010 - 00:02
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.08.2010 at 00:54

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 09.08.2010 at 00:41

I used to like Shining a bit about a year and a half ago or so. Now I think they're ok. Not terrible like a lot of the bands in the genre, but nothing special.

Hmmm, then in the most respectful way: The genre is not for you imo. It's not like Shining is the best thing ever in the genre but it's the band that lacks all the bad points that most of the other bands in the genre have (imo of course).

So, according to you, what band is the best thing that happened to the genre? I ask because I'm in the mood for some DSBM, but I've already went through all the "big boys" of the genre (or at least, I think I did).
20.08.2010 - 01:45
ß
Problem?
Quote:
Quote:

So, according to you, what band is the best thing that happened to the genre? I ask because I'm in the mood for some DSBM, but I've already went through all the "big boys" of the genre (or at least, I think I did).

Theres the more obvious DBM bands like Lifelover,Shining,Silencer, Totelselfhatred, Thy Light and Nocturnal Depression. If you haven't checked some of them out, those would probably be the best bands to start out with.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.08.2010 - 01:51
The Turbanator

I never really got into Livelover. I've given Erotik a proper listen.. still.. something in it puts me off.. maybe because it's not repetitive and doesn't have 20 minutes long riffs. Hmmm.. but I like Shining and Totalselfhatred too.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
20.08.2010 - 01:53
whatsacow

Written by Mikyz on 19.08.2010 at 23:49

Written by The Turbanator on 19.08.2010 at 21:13

I'm pretty sure he is talking about Coldworld. I mean who names a band Coldwater ?

Lol... yeah, coldworld. I was out of it lol.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.08.2010 - 04:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 20.08.2010 at 00:02

I don't know tbh... Because I got tired of the genre so I just like a few bands I used to lsiten from the genre like Shining, Silencer, Lifelover, (if you can call them BM) and.. I don't know. A few years ago I was really into the genre but now I'm mostly into extreme doom so I don't care for these scene anymore

I really like Pensees Nocturnes though, if you haven't heard them check them out, great musicanship.
Oh yeah... I also forgot to mention Anti, both this bands have reviews by Lucas, check them out both if you ahven't
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2010 - 02:31
whatsacow

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2010 at 04:04

Written by Slayer666 on 20.08.2010 at 00:02

I don't know tbh... Because I got tired of the genre so I just like a few bands I used to lsiten from the genre like Shining, Silencer, Lifelover, (if you can call them BM) and.. I don't know. A few years ago I was really into the genre but now I'm mostly into extreme doom so I don't care for these scene anymore

I really like Pensees Nocturnes though, if you haven't heard them check them out, great musicanship.
Oh yeah... I also forgot to mention Anti, both this bands have reviews by Lucas, check them out both if you ahven't

Wow. Just took your advice, and Pensees Nocturnes is fucking amazing. All I could say was wow.
----
23.08.2010 - 10:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Glad you liked it!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.08.2010 - 16:38
Lucas
Mr. Noise
So am I.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.08.2010 - 00:09
NihilHecatomb

----
"Once your gone, you can't go back.When your out of the blue and into the black."
23.10.2010 - 19:13
alleycat

Shining ! It makes me happy !
10.11.2010 - 04:52
Mccalldy

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So6iZp2eO74& check this out...from canada!
06.01.2011 - 14:13
The Turbanator

Just heard Hypothermia. Rakbladsvalsen is probably one of the most haunting album I heard. Typical depressive BM album but it has something in it that tickles my fancy.
----
06.01.2011 - 22:29
Vombatus
Potorro
Agree about Hypothermia, they create a nice atmosphere (I likes when vocalist makes thoses screams as if he were getting killed haha)
Don't know if they've been mentioned but Sterbend are pretty badass (shares alot of members with Nyktalgia). Typhon has just that range of voice that is so... eh, disturbing and appropiate for the genre, reminding me of Silencer.
06.01.2011 - 23:36
The Turbanator

Typhon is one of the best vocalist in this genre, apart from Nattramn.

Cold Void is such a massive track that Niklas Kvarforth (Shining) has those words tattooed on his fingers

Other bands like Lyrinx and Impavida deserves a shout.
----
07.01.2011 - 02:06
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 06.01.2011 at 23:36

Cold Void is such a massive track that Niklas Kvarforth (Shining) has those words tattooed on his fingers

I especially love Impavida. It sounds like something Tim Burton would create of he started his own black metal band.
07.01.2011 - 23:57
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 07.01.2011 at 02:06

Written by The Turbanator on 06.01.2011 at 23:36

I especially love Impavida. It sounds like something Tim Burton would create of he started his own black metal band.

I know. It makes you feel like you're trapped in a haunted mansion and you just can't find the way out. Really good.
----
10.01.2011 - 10:23
The Turbanator

Hypomanie is not bad either.

Also just read Pensees Nocturnes's interview.

"T - Do you know if you'll be changing vibes like that again for your next release?

I have no idea what I will create in the future but it won't be something common and already seen. As I said Art cannot be reduced to being cast in the same mould so I apologize for the ones who wanted me to create other Vacuums all my life long but it would be losing my time and yours."

Legend. Can't wait for his new album.
----
14.01.2011 - 08:54
Ted
Account deleted
You should listening to ''when mine eyes blacken '' a quite a good band from New Zealand
masterpiece !!
17.01.2011 - 12:41
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 14.01.2011 at 08:54

You should listening to ''when mine eyes blacken '' a quite a good band from New Zealand
masterpiece !!

I'm looking into it now. this sounds really good! And he's the same guy from Exiled From Light, which is another brilliant band.
----
17.01.2011 - 19:53
Ted
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 17.01.2011 at 12:41

masterpiece !!

I'm looking into it now. this sounds really good! And he's the same guy from Exiled From Light, which is another brilliant band.

you should ,very impressive band listening to the album and tell me what you think
19.01.2011 - 07:37
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 17.01.2011 at 19:53

Written by The Turbanator on 17.01.2011 at 12:41

masterpiece !!

you should ,very impressive band listening to the album and tell me what you think

Simply amazing. Thank you for this. Been a fan for Exiled From Light and now this.

Have you heard of Trist? Zrcadleni Melancholie is, for me, one of the best depressive work ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXlxw0rjeZU
----
19.01.2011 - 08:28
Ted
Account deleted
Welcome , yes ido Trist is one of the best. Zrcadleni Melancholie one of the best albumes ever released
listen to band called Todeskult very good band frrom germany and welcom again
19.01.2011 - 14:39
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 19.01.2011 at 08:28

Welcome , yes ido Trist is one of the best. Zrcadleni Melancholie one of the best albumes ever released
listen to band called Todeskult very good band frrom germany and welcom again

Yeah I have Todeskult. It's brilliant.
----
28.01.2011 - 10:04
MissMetal86

Zuriaake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn30QIAxKWk
29.01.2011 - 19:31
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I wonder what this year will hold in store for DBM.
29.01.2011 - 21:22
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 29.01.2011 at 19:31

I wonder what this year will hold in store for DBM.

Well Shining is releasing a new album next month, along with Lifelover and TotalSelfHatred.

After that we have Der Weg einer Freiheit in July (doubt it is DSBM though but their themes are always about life and death), Gris in December.

Lol. Probably missed a few. Doesn't look so good for DSBM this year, to be honest. But it will be good for Black Metal generally as Wolves In The Throne Room is releasing a new one in December. That one alone carries 1000 points
----
29.01.2011 - 21:36
ß
Problem?
There are actually a decent amount of releases coming out this year, not many by the so-called heavyweights of DBM though. My most anticipated up-coming release by far would be for Gris.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero