Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
26.04.2011 - 14:21
The Turbanator

Solitary Depression - End http://youtu.be/fI5lxPH_IMY

Found a new one!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.04.2011 - 14:26
The Turbanator

Or another sample of theirs.

Solitary Depression - Suicidal Mind http://youtu.be/5Cj6W2YYbSk
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.05.2011 - 21:14
Sulac

Austere is the best band of this style I've heard...
Though, I'm just getting into it, so that's likely to change.
16.05.2011 - 21:43
The Turbanator

Written by Sulac on 16.05.2011 at 21:14

Austere is the best band of this style I've heard...
Though, I'm just getting into it, so that's likely to change.

Listen to Woods of Desolation. They are Austere, basically different project by the same members. I like them.
----
22.06.2011 - 15:33
Ragnorwulf

A few of my favorites include Funeral Mourning, Silencer, Xasthur (I understand some of you don't consider him dbm, but I do), Happy Days, and The Foetal Mind. Now I understand these are the most widely known amond the dbm community, so don't jump down my throat for it because I didn't "name any largely underground kvlt dbm".
25.06.2011 - 16:01
The Turbanator

Tim(or also known as Sorrow) of Woods Of Desolation will not be taking part in their upcoming project. IF they decided to make a new album, Tim won't be a part of it. First it was Austere, then now WoD. Somehow I think what he does is not bad, because they release a brilliant album or two, and stop. And start with a new band/project with fresh ideas.

I think this works really good.
----
25.06.2011 - 20:11
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 25.06.2011 at 16:01

Tim(or also known as Sorrow) of Woods Of Desolation will not be taking part in their upcoming project. IF they decided to make a new album, Tim won't be a part of it. First it was Austere, then now WoD. Somehow I think what he does is not bad, because they release a brilliant album or two, and stop. And start with a new band/project with fresh ideas.

I guess if a band is going to quit, they might as well go out with a bang.
25.06.2011 - 21:36
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 25.06.2011 at 20:11

Written by The Turbanator on 25.06.2011 at 16:01

I guess if a band is going to quit, they might as well go out with a bang.

Yeah that's true. I'll miss his vocals. WoD was really damn good.
----
19.07.2011 - 01:57
Chasmofsleep

Hello! Here is a band from the U.S. to check out.

http://www.myspace.com/lamentationsoftheashenbm
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lamentations-Of-The-Ashen/168536829851639

Check it out and tell your fellow metal-heads!!!
22.07.2011 - 12:21
obliscence

Dispirit http://www.dispirit.org (ex-Weakling, ex-Asunder)

A very depressing bleak sound, but not strictly black metal, a lot of doom as well. At the moment there is only a 2 song 30 minute demo released.

full song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWDXjykeSyc
28.07.2011 - 03:33
somberserenity

Another U.S. depressive band

A Cloud Forest
http://www.acloudforest.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOAwjXjkqiU

They just put out a new album this month. They'll also be releasing a split with Lamentations of the Ashen later this year and a split with Moloch in the start of 2012
30.09.2011 - 08:11
The Turbanator

This tune now on repeat in my iPod. Totally stuck in my head.
----
30.09.2011 - 08:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 30.09.2011 at 08:11

Outstanding shit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.09.2011 - 08:35
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 08:15

Written by The Turbanator on 30.09.2011 at 08:11

Outstanding shit.

Really is a good album. Deserves way more views.
----
30.09.2011 - 08:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This entire thread needs more views. 13 pages in 5 years. For shame.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.09.2011 - 08:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
And although Hypothermia's been mentioned already, I have to do this.

Because I'm listening to it right now. One of my favorite black metal bands.
----
30.09.2011 - 23:41
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 08:38

Excellent. I love that band too. My favorite of theirs is still Rakbladsvalsen album. Masterpiece of an album.
----
30.09.2011 - 23:53
The Turbanator

The closest vocalist to Nattramn...

----
01.10.2011 - 02:52
S.I.T.A
Account deleted
What's depressive about black metal?
01.10.2011 - 04:03
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 02:52

Silly little man. Depressive Black Metal is a subgenre of Black Metal.
01.10.2011 - 04:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Troll in need of feeding or are you being serious?
----
01.10.2011 - 04:44
S.I.T.A
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 04:03

So what.
01.10.2011 - 14:06
montrose

Hi !

The one-man Depressive Black Metal project Cragataska has been formed by Melodic Black Metal band Secropiagor's vocalist Kerem Güravşar, in 2008 at Ankara. He did all instruments and vocal, band's first record was an EP and named ''Ağustos 17'' released in same year when the band formed in. As you can figure out by its title, this album takes Marmara Earthquake as a subject, which occured in 17 .... This was an album which was dedicated to all people who died, suffered and still suffering. After that, he started for his newest record which was planned to publish over the internet. when the album has been finally done and published, Kerem was in Army for his country. Within a short time, band got its die-hard fans already. And... Cragataska still speaking out to us from the deep of saddened world...

http://www.myspace.com/cragataska

Waiting for your comments.

news

The Wound that Never Heals - Split

"The Wound that Never Heals", split album between Cragataska (Tur), Valefor(Tur), Mourning Soul (Chl) and Garden of Sadness (Pol) will be released in October 30 via Victory by Fire Records.

Tracklist:
01. Cragataska (Tur) - Bir Şairin Ölüşü
02. Valefor (Tur) - The Existence of a Deception
03. Mourning Soul (Chl) - Octubre
04. Garden of Sadness (Pol) - Time
01.10.2011 - 17:43
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 04:44

Written by Guest on 01.10.2011 at 04:03

So what.

OK, now I know you're a troll. To the ignore list with you!
02.10.2011 - 14:23
The Turbanator

Can't help but burst out laughing at this statement hahaha.
----
02.10.2011 - 17:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 08:38

Wow, wonderful song. Haven't listened to that one. Kim's voice is quite unique since it's so easy to recognise his voice. It portraits another kind of insanity compared to other vocalists in the genre. Also the clam guitars sections are classy for the kind of music his bands have done, I love them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.10.2011 - 16:41
TrveBlackMetal

Just as a response to the ones who said leviathan is not a depressive black metal band...
easily one of the most intense DBM tracks, with an incredible atmosphere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0CO6FD5RU
05.10.2011 - 17:41
The Turbanator

Written by TrveBlackMetal on 05.10.2011 at 16:41

Just as a response to the ones who said leviathan is not a depressive black metal band...
easily one of the most intense DBM tracks, with an incredible atmosphere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0CO6FD5RU

Mate sorry Leviathan are not DSBM. It is Atmospheric BM.

Wrest doesn't do DSBM. See also Lurker of Chalice. Same guy.
----
03.12.2011 - 12:58
The Turbanator

Black Hate. Depressive BM from Mexico. This is really good.

----
04.12.2011 - 01:41
Savopipo

ROME is kinda depressing but most people wouldn't call it black metal. It's kinda nice though.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com