Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by , 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
06.12.2011 - 23:32
VELD

Hi new to the board. but i figured people in this thread might be into the usbm band no pleasure in life. Its one of my favorite releases in the genre.

http://funeralspirit.blogspot.com/2011/02/no-pleasure-in-life-happiness-is-not.html
12.01.2012 - 07:48
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 08:38

And although Hypothermia's been mentioned already, I have to do this.

Because I'm listening to it right now. One of my favorite black metal bands.

Have you heard their latest?

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
12.01.2012 - 08:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 12.01.2012 at 07:48
Have you heard their latest?

A while ago, ya. And it's great stuff too. I remember the official website requesting donations and stuff a while back in order to make the record work, and I gave 10 bucks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 00:38
ß
Problem?
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
13.01.2012 - 11:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by ß on 13.01.2012 at 00:38
Apatharia

Awesome song. I'll see your post and raise you this:

Raw, lo-fi, fuzzed-out depressive black metal from Germany.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.01.2012 - 12:13
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.09.2011 at 08:38

And although Hypothermia's been mentioned already, I have to do this.

Because I'm listening to it right now. One of my favorite black metal bands.

And I thought Hypothermia was a Windir tribute band.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
13.01.2012 - 12:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Savopipo on 13.01.2012 at 12:13

What gave you that idea?

Oh wait is that a joke about him freezing to death? If it is... I approve.
----
13.01.2012 - 22:56
ß
Problem?
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 11:08

Todessucht

Ahh yes, they are indeed quite enjoyable
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
14.01.2012 - 02:28
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 12:24

Written by Savopipo on 13.01.2012 at 12:13

What gave you that idea?

Oh wait is that a joke about him freezing to death? If it is... I approve.

You got it! Windir is still one of the best Black/Symphonic/Rock/Jass/Folk/Metal bands in the world though. Not that my ramblings have anything to do in this thread but I genrally have a hard time with the genre itself so I systematically try to laugh it awary. What's good about music where the aim is to make people commit suicide?
----
14.01.2012 - 02:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 02:28
What's good about music where the aim is to make people commit suicide?

I never thought the goal of depressive black metal was to convince people to commit suicide. :/

To me the music is more majestic and beautiful - even in its rawest form - than any other form of metal I've come across, and I personally find it uplifting.
----
14.01.2012 - 02:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
What's good about music where the aim is to make people commit suicide?[/quote}

Pssh I dunno... What's the point in music that only speaks about gore and similar shit? Or satanism... and yes, it's the same ridiculous shit.
People just have a different way of viewing things. I for onw rarely feel depressive or anythign similar by this kind of music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 02:44
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.01.2012 at 02:33

What's good about music where the aim is to make people commit suicide?

I never thought the goal of depressive black metal was to convince people to commit suicide. :/

To me the music is more majestic and beautiful - even in its rawest form - than any other form of metal I've come across, and I personally find it uplifting.

Kvarforth said in an interview that I heard (I tried to find it on youtube but I couldn't ) the only reason he started to make that kind of music was to make people commit suicide and that's what I'm referring to. If the genre has develped into something else after that it's something else but the original idea with depressive suicidal black metal was to commit suicide!
----
14.01.2012 - 02:48
Savopipo

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 02:36

What's good about music where the aim is to make people commit suicide?[/quote}

Pssh I dunno... What's the point in music that only speaks about gore and similar shit? Or satanism... and yes, it's the same ridiculous shit.
People just have a different way of viewing things. I for onw rarely feel depressive or anythign similar by this kind of music.

Yeah! I agree on so many levels but I can never agree to something that push people over the edge and make them end their lives! I mean most of us have people we know that commited or tried to commit suicide and I'm never going to support that way of thinking. Satanism is completely different at least it's positive and pro life!
----
14.01.2012 - 02:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.01.2012 at 11:08
Raw, lo-fi, fuzzed-out depressive black metal from Germany.

Didn't really like the first song, way too lo-fi to appreacite it but I dig the second one. Also, If you dig lo-fi stuff and I know you like Lifelover and similar bands. You might enjoy this.

And here is a cover of one of my favorite lifelover songs, Stockholm. I have to say it, they really aced that cover imo.

That's actually the entire demo i just posted, I can give you a download link if you like since I own a copy of the demo... Because I know one of the members He was in my highschool just one year older than me and I used to chat with him a lot when we found each other at some random spot in the school during lunch or classbreaks XP. I still remember when I told him I wanted to buy the demo (it was barely 2-3 euro I think) and he asked me "with or without blood?"... I laughed my fucking ass off I bought it with blood of course. As far as I know I think it's deer blood or something like that. there are like 100 copies but I think way less have actually blood on it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 02:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 02:48
Yeah! I agree on so many levels but I can never agree to something that push people over the edge and make them end their lives! I mean most of us have people we know that commited or tried to commit suicide and I'm never going to support that way of thinking. Satanism is completely different at least it's positive and pro life!

Well, I do understand you but I have a hard time feeling too much sadness for someone that gets so influenced by music to kill himself, no different that some dude that listens to NSBM and suddenly wants to kill jews. Both are laughable to me, but that might just be me.

Bottom line: I completely understand your point though. But not all DSBM bands say that they want their public to commit suicide... most of them just want to express their own negative feelings through music, most of them don't even care about the public... just release those feelings somehow to feel better.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 03:03
Savopipo

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 02:53

Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 02:48

Well, I do understand you but I have a hard time feeling too much sadness for someone that gets so influenced by music to kill himself, no different that some dude that listens to NSBM and suddenly wants to kill jews. Both are laughable to me, but that might just be me.

Bottom line: I completely understand your point though. But not all DSBM bands say that they want their public to commit suicide... most of them just want to express their own negative feelings through music, most of them don't even care about the public... just release those feelings somehow to feel better.

Anyway I'm not going to promote that kind of thinking! I'm pro life but I'm also deeply interested in death but death has to be approached with a certain amount of interest not a longing for it!!
----
14.01.2012 - 03:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 03:03
Anyway I'm not going to promote that kind of thinking! I'm pro life but I'm also deeply interested in death but death has to be approached with a certain amount of interest not a longing for it!!

My curiosity about your comments is that you seem to think that most DSBM bands want their public to kill themselves which I would bet my house on most of them don't giving a fuck about the public.

Not that different than painters or poets who write more to themselves than to someone else. That is NOT promoting.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 03:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 03:06
My curiosity about your comments is that you seem to think that most DSBM bands want their public to kill themselves which I would bet my house on most of them don't giving a fuck about the public.
Not that different than painters or poets who write more to themselves than to someone else. That is NOT promoting.

That, and Shining was not the first depressive black metal band. Just because Kvarforth is apparently trying to get people to kill themselves (he's doing a pretty miserable job if you ask me) doesn't mean he represents the entire genre. Besides, most of the bands like Shining and Silencer are just marketing tricks when it comes to being institutionalized and insane and all that shit.
----
14.01.2012 - 05:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Bleh I tried some videos you guys posted here -_- idk, same as usual to me, its black metal whatever you put infront of it, still bores the fuck out of me -_- sorry, I respect your taste it just doesn't appeal to me no matter how hard I try. Its not that bad, but when it gets to the vocals and all those slow parts... idk man
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 06:11
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 05:21

Bleh I tried some videos you guys posted here -_- idk, same as usual to me, its black metal whatever you put infront of it, still bores the fuck out of me -_- sorry, I respect your taste it just doesn't appeal to me no matter how hard I try. Its not that bad, but when it gets to the vocals and all those slow parts... idk man

Hmm, yes. Well, depressive black metal certainly is an acquired taste.
14.01.2012 - 06:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 06:11

im not only talking about the depressive one... any black metal actually. Now you're gonna tell me I didn't try hard enough... lies I tried.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 06:13
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 06:12

im not only talking about the depressive one... any black metal actually. Now you're gonna tell me I didn't try hard enough... lies I tried.

Woah, calm down, will ya? I was just trying to be humorous.
14.01.2012 - 06:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 14.01.2012 at 06:13

Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 06:12

Woah, calm down, will ya? I was just trying to be humorous.

haha don't worry I was not attacking you, and Im calm its just I would like to enjoy black... but the only black I do have something for.. its when its mixed with some Thrash.. like Aura Noir or Absu (The Third Storm of Cythraul for example) or Nocturnal Breed and Skeletonwitch... but yeah
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 06:50
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.01.2012 at 03:17

That, and Shining was not the first depressive black metal band. Just because Kvarforth is apparently trying to get people to kill themselves (he's doing a pretty miserable job if you ask me) doesn't mean he represents the entire genre. Besides, most of the bands like Shining and Silencer are just marketing tricks when it comes to being institutionalized and insane and all that shit.

Shining and Silencer are probably the least Depressive BM bands in the genre. I don't refer them as DSBM at all. It's totally different sound, lyrics and atmosphere to me.

That said, they both are still excellent bands. You're spot on about the marketing tricks.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
14.01.2012 - 12:49
Savopipo

Written by The Turbanator on 14.01.2012 at 06:50

Shining and Silencer are probably the least Depressive BM bands in the genre. I don't refer them as DSBM at all. It's totally different sound, lyrics and atmosphere to me.

That said, they both are still excellent bands. You're spot on about the marketing tricks.

I think both Shining and Silencer are very depressive! And I mean that as I get depressed just thinking about them he he. Anyway whatever you like to listen to I guess it's OK for you but I want more anger and less crying personally.
----
14.01.2012 - 13:13
The Turbanator

Written by Savopipo on 14.01.2012 at 12:49

Written by The Turbanator on 14.01.2012 at 06:50

I think both Shining and Silencer are very depressive! And I mean that as I get depressed just thinking about them he he. Anyway whatever you like to listen to I guess it's OK for you but I want more anger and less crying personally.

Haha yeah each to their own actually. They have the depressive vibe but not as good as '...' or 'Trist' when it comes to creating depressive atmosphere. Also DSBM is very less technical than the others. Take that Hypothermia link I posted. It can has the same riffs for 60 minutes.

----
14.01.2012 - 13:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 06:15

but the only black I do have something for.. its when its mixed with some Thrash.. like Aura Noir or Absu (The Third Storm of Cythraul for example) or Nocturnal Breed and Skeletonwitch...

That's good! There are many bands you should try out then: Melechesh, Absu or Byfrost would fit perfectly in your description of black/thrash. Byfrost latest from 2011 is pretty A.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 15:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 13:48

Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 06:15

but the only black I do have something for.. its when its mixed with some Thrash.. like Aura Noir or Absu (The Third Storm of Cythraul for example) or Nocturnal Breed and Skeletonwitch...

That's good! There are many bands you should try out then: Melechesh, Absu or Byfrost would fit perfectly in your description of black/thrash. Byfrost latest from 2011 is pretty A.

well I do listen to absu haha I said it in the post, but thanks for the recommendations.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.01.2012 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 15:55
well I do listen to absu haha I said it in the post, but thanks for the recommendations.

Oh, didn't see it. But if you like Absu there is a great posibility of you liking Melechesh as Proscriptor was also a member of Melechesh for a while. It's just that Melechesh like to put their folk style a bit more.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.01.2012 - 16:00
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.01.2012 at 15:58

Written by Guib on 14.01.2012 at 15:55

Oh, didn't see it. But if you like Absu there is a great posibility of you liking Melechesh as Protector is also a member of Melechesh as far as I know, at least session musician a couple of times. It's just that Melechesh like to put their folk style a bit more.

ok well I do like Byfrost though, Im listening to their Black Earth album, its good
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here