Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
23.05.2013 - 10:17
no one
Account deleted
Haven't done that before, but it looks i have to put pics with all the audio's which i can't be bothered.
Search these song's and albums, i'm sure somebody's uploaded them before, it's how i first heard them

Devouring Doubt (My Last Hour) Eastern Depression Winds
Eastern Depression Winds Eastern Depression Winds
Elements (Razor,Poison,Rope,Gun) Elements (Knife,Poision,Rope,Gun)
Even Death Rejects Me Elements (Knife,Poision,Rope,Gun)
My Razor...My Crown... Elements (Knife,Poision,Rope,Gun)
Swallowing The Filth Of Life Elements (Knife,Poision,Rope,Gun)
The Ghostfhater (The Godfather Cover) Elements (Knife,Poision,Rope,Gun)
March 13th Elements (Knife,Poison,Rope,Gun)
Funeral of life Funeral Of Life
Waiting For Death Funeral Of Life
Haunting Suicidal Past Prt I Haunting Suicidal Past
Haunting Suicidal Past Prt II Haunting Suicidal Past
Intro Hopeless
Emptiness Hopeless
Share Your Pain Hopeless
Fade Away Hopeless
Soul Mortification Soul Mortification
23.05.2013 - 20:14
Sinfonia
Shining.
Search for 'Laat Oss Ta Allt Fraan Varandra'
I don't know if it is the original title for this song, because Itunes sometimes changes the title's from songs
----
When there is a voice recalling, when a whisper is resounding
When a feather's grazing you again, you start traveling with your mind.
30.05.2013 - 06:48
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Bethlehem
Lifelover
Happy Days
Make a Change Kill Yourself
Trist
Hypthermia
Silencer
30.05.2013 - 20:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sinfonia on 23.05.2013 at 20:14

Shining.
I don't know if it is the original title for this song, because Itunes sometimes changes the title's from songs

Might be Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2013 - 20:10
Sinfonia
Written by Bad English on 30.05.2013 at 20:09

Written by Sinfonia on 23.05.2013 at 20:14

Shining.

Might be Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra

Yes
----
When there is a voice recalling, when a whisper is resounding
When a feather's grazing you again, you start traveling with your mind.
31.05.2013 - 09:50
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 06:48

Bethlehem
Lifelover
Happy Days
Trist
Hypthermia
Silencer

Which Hypothermia album is your favorite ?
31.05.2013 - 14:48
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 31.05.2013 at 09:50

Written by Guest on 30.05.2013 at 06:48

Bethlehem
Lifelover
Happy Days
Trist
Hypthermia
Silencer

Which Hypothermia album is your favorite ?

I haven't heard Skogens, but from what I've heard Rakbladsvalsen is my favorite.
31.05.2013 - 22:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm a fan of Skogens myself.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.05.2013 - 22:36
no one
Account deleted
I'm a fan of all of them, but i think Kold, Veins and Rakbladsvalsen are definatly some of there best
31.05.2013 - 23:33
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Yes, Kold is great as well.
01.06.2013 - 09:00
Metal|Bleed
It generally is the music itself than makes a band Depressive Black Metal : /
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
01.06.2013 - 20:41
Aseliot
I find wolves in the throneroom to sound an awfull lot like a depressive band, just change the theme and lyrics and there you go depressive band.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
29.06.2013 - 19:52
Aseliot
It's more like blackgaze (black metal shoegaze) but damn this sounds apathetic
(Really DSBM is such a niche genre, other genres can be a lot more depressive actually i find some of DSBM bands to be to agressive after hearing something like this)

----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
30.06.2013 - 00:41
no one
Account deleted
Written by Aseliot on 29.06.2013 at 19:52

(Really DSBM is such a niche genre, other genres can be a lot more depressive actually i find some of DSBM bands to be to agressive after hearing something like this)

I have that album and quite like it.

You obviously have some point your trying to get across about the DSBM genre. You have brought it up again without anyone even arguing your point.

Ill satisfy your cry for attention by saying that yes it is mostly just the lyrics. But also i think most DSBM bands generally have a slower tempo than other black metal bands, and the screams are more desperate and agonizing than aggressive.
I think there are bands like "Totalselfhatred" though that shouldn't be labelled as DSBM just because of there lyrics.
05.07.2013 - 01:34
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Aseliot on 29.06.2013 at 19:52

I think this band is great:) Their album "Lost" has a more depressing sound than the others though
22.07.2013 - 12:07
The Turbanator
New Sombres Forets! If you haven't heard of this guy, then you should. Previous albums are good as well.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
23.07.2013 - 08:26
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 22.07.2013 at 12:07

New Sombres Forets! If you haven't heard of this guy, then you should. Previous albums are good as well.

yuss...thank you

fuck! none for sale on discogs
13.08.2013 - 03:40
BreadGod
Account deleted
I finally got around to listening to the new albums from Gris and Sombres Forets. I love 'em.
13.08.2013 - 07:27
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 13.08.2013 at 03:40

I finally got around to listening to the new albums from Gris and Sombres Forets. I love 'em.

aye both very good!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.08.2013 - 09:13
no one
Account deleted

where did you buy them from?
edit : oh i see there available now, but also realized i haven't even heard the first Gris album "Neurasthénie" yet either.
13.08.2013 - 13:33
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 13.08.2013 at 09:13

where did you buy them from?
edit : oh i see there available now, but also realized i haven't even heard the first Gris album "Neurasthénie" yet either.

They released that "Neurasthenie" album under their original name Niflheim. They changed name after that album. Good album, nevertheless!
----
18.08.2013 - 21:21
no one
Account deleted
Does anyone know what the deal is with the mask Annatar of Sombres forets is always wearing ? is it suppose to represent something or what
19.08.2013 - 17:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Maybe the dude has a really ugly face.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.08.2013 - 20:16
BreadGod
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2013 at 17:00

That sounds like the most logical explanation. It reminds me of Phantom of the Opera.
19.08.2013 - 21:30
no one
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.08.2013 at 17:00

because its all about how pretty you are in black metal that's what corpse paint is for. Seriously though i have seen his face and it's nothing abnormal.
20.08.2013 - 11:20
no one
Account deleted
Anyone know when the new hypothermia is released ?
20.08.2013 - 14:04
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 20.08.2013 at 11:20

Where did you read this? I checked their main site and Facebook. Nothing about a new album.
----
20.08.2013 - 21:08
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 20.08.2013 at 14:04

Where did you read this? I checked their main site and Facebook. Nothing about a new album.

say's this on face book "Third and final part of the next album finished in composition - each part equivalent of Skogens Hjärta, so expect something massive!"
06.09.2013 - 23:43
no one
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 20.08.2013 at 14:04

ya see what i'm talking about ? I think it said something on unjoy.com too.
09.09.2013 - 16:09
vercelum
VERCELUM is a depressive black/doom metal band from the Philippines. We started in 2000 as a project which later became one of the flag bearer of Iligan Metal. VERCELUM's music is better described as a repetitive, boring melody that will make you stare outside the window looking at nothing.

What We Need & What You Get

We want to record and produce 10 songs our new album so bad however, we lack the funds to accomplish it. The figures we earn is not enough to record even just 1 song and this is why we need you.

We are planning to release at least 100 to 300 copies of the "new" album. Help us reach our goal and you will be rewarded accordingly.

The Impact

The success of this project will help us to create more music by expressing our thoughts and dreams, making it a reality.

We are planning to launch the album on February 7th 2014, eve of Bagyo's day.

HELP US HERE: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vercelum-new-album/

Other Ways You Can Help

Help us share this campaign to others alike.